Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like progress to me

Originally posted by westcoast777 View Post
    Just filmed in the backyard - had to try filming in high-speed immediately. I've worked on smoothing out the backswing, please let me know what you think. I'll be out at the courts tomorrow to film. For now, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    Current serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kCA2CETue0
    June 21st serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAf8...eature=related
    Thanks
    It's pretty hard to tell when you are just serving in the back yard (also pretty hard to really make the motion), but I like what you are doing here. Don't lose track of the fact that you are starting with a pretty good rhythmic motion. We don't want you to lose that. It's very important for you to keep that sense that the rhythm of your rock is connected to the toss. Again, tough to do in the back yard.

All that being said, I like what you are doing…but I am a bit of a classicist. I think what you are doing is today is better and in the long run will serve you better. It will undoubtedly cause you problems in the short term, but I think it would be worth it. Unfortunately, I can't offer any proof that my opinion is correct. There are all kinds of pro servers that don't have as good a motion as you showed as your starting point.

What I saw in your initial motion was a sort of a

one-anda-two-anda-hit where two was the trophy position.

What you are showing me in your back yard is more like a

one-anda- hit

where you go right up to the trophy position in one smooth motion. My belief is that will hold up better under the stress of fatigue or pressure or both. Again, just be sure you keep it hooked to the weight transfer. You can check one of my videos which incorporates a "toss&catch" as the second part of a "Fig8-toss&catch-toss&hit" drill in rhythm. Note that this is artificial because you don't move into the court as you do when you serve for real. Nevertheless it is a very good drill for establishing rock solid rhythm. Here is the link:

In any case, I think you are doing good work and making progress. Keep it up!

don
    PS You are right to start with this first before you focus on getting more tilt.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8053 users online. 4 members and 8049 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X