Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Wimbledon, '05

What's in store for the next 13 days?

Defending champs, Federer and Sharapova are the faves...right?
    The ever-distracted Williamses show up, but could Serena re-establish herself? Davenport can win this without dropping a set, but does anyone believe she'll get to the second Saturday? Mauresmo? Nevermind.

Justine and Rafael fresh off remarkable runs at Roland! Rooting for Justine. Rafa will have some work to do on this surface (but that's what he's about).

The class of the field: fresh off stellar runs at Queens Club/Halle/Nottingham/den Bosch are Roddick, Roger, Ancic and Gasquet. Honorable mention to Mirnyi, Dent, Llodra, Philippoussis, Arthurs, Henman, Grosjean, Karlovic and the injured Safin.

Will Rochey guide Federer to the most dominant Wimbledon performance since 1984, or will it be depressing Slam no. 3 for the impressive world no. 1 this year?

What are the lawns playing like? The balls? Will one or two of the perceived claycourters slide into the semis? Doubles coverage -- any interest?

Could be another great two weeks.

Your thoughts, gang?

I was looking forward to seeing Blake play, but I was disappointed. Although I've heard he's known for being a fast mover (especially on hardcourts, and I've heard a little on grass), he didn't really bother to recover or even move for some shots.

And his shot selection wasn't so great either. Trying to blast forehand winners from way behind the baseline never works. Not to mention he never really varied any of his shots the whole match.

Davenport started off well today, it should be good for her confidence although her opponent (I just watched it, but I can't seem to remember) definitely didn't push her much. I believe she's confident and ready just because she's back on grass.

Safin also had a good start. He looked calmer than usual, and was pretty consistent the entire match. The injury will be tested against other players, I hope it doesn't hinder him too much. He's great to watch.

Comment

Was suprised to hear before this tournament that many people were saying Nadal would go well here.

He is VERY inexperienced on grass, and doesn't really have the ability to adapt his game towards the net which is very crucial on grass. Something that Lopez is doing well, and I think has a big chance of beating Hewitt.

In the future as he gains more experience I think he will go better here, but its something that the Spanish need to train towards.

My money is on Federer for the mens, and Davenport/Mauresmo for the womens.

Anthony

Comment

Can you read a book in the dark? Can you say Stupid American!!!

Comment

Huh ??

Comment

CrazyLefty, I'm sort of confused by your post as well.

If it's just calling American's stupid for predicting Wimbledon, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Did anyone see the Malisse/Coria match? I heard it was excellent, lots of great points. I just see Wimbledon on ESPN, so I wasn't able to actually watch any though. I like to follow Malisse when I can, he's fun to watch for me.

A lot of debate elsewhere is steered around Roddick vs. Federer. I don't believe Roddick has too much of a chance, he has a current 1-8 record against Fed. But he has been attacking the net at times so far, which I think is necessary to take full advantage of his amazing serve. Also, Federer hasn't exactly been playing his best tennis so far, at least I believe.

Any of you have thoughts on that?

Comment

Did anyone see Roddick's press conference after he walked off of the court before the match was called and cursed at his opponent? This guy has less intelligence than Jimmy Connors. What's up with the Locoste clothing, hasn't he heard of "freedom fries". Give Rodger the trophy now, he will carve up Daddy's boy Roddick in 4.

Comment

What you're giving him a set? Sebastian Grosjean is the master of charm and satorial taste, right?

Comment

Did anyone else enjoy watching Hewitt get broken down to the point where i thought he was going to cry by the end of the match? Last year I thought it was the match of the tournament when they met. This time it was demoralizing.

And this is as close as you will ever get to Roger talking smack:

"I think it's obvious," he said of a psychological advantage. "It's not so easy to play somebody you've lost to so many times, especially in a row."

Comment

Lleyton a human being with real feelings...beautiful...

Comment

What a bizarre series of E mails. Can anyone say "I should check my dosages"?

Comment

I just checked mine--so far I'm OK. No more Diet Coke than on an average day. Crazy Lefty what does your attending physician report?

Comment

I'm not that concerned about you. Minor symptoms of some form of obssesive disorder focussing on very high speed film and great tennis players. But these boards indicate that may be a more prevalent disorder than we previously understood. Just part of the stress of a more technological age. But if at any stage you find yourself unable to say "...in the end it's just a game" I would like you to make a further appointment.

Comment

Stupid American...

What's up with the Locoste clothing, hasn't he heard of "freedom fries".

before you ditch the brand, learn how to spell it first. Thank you. (Lacoste)

Comment

My Bad, I am American.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9655 users online. 10 members and 9645 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X