The Backhand: One-handed vs. Two-handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Backhand: One-handed vs. Two-handed

Is a topic more hotly discussed in junior tennis?
    I, a junior player, am at a crossroad making this decision. I have hit with both, playing with a one-hander for ~8 months with mild success before switching to a two-hander two months ago. Honestly, I haven't developed a preference for either. Is there a way to test what may be better suited for me? It's not that I am helpless on the backhand side, I was able to hit winners from the baseline with both and put away easy balls. But something is just missing...the stroke has never equalled my forehand. The two-hander has been steadily improving as I am smoothing out the technical elements, but still I feel it is not quite natural.
    I've read the articles on the site regarding the backhand in junior tennis as well as many on the topic on other sites.
    So, forum, how do you weigh-in on the matter? Plusses and minuses? Thoughts, opinions, anything.
    Thanks

westcoast,

well as you know I saw your two handed backhand. don't think you can assess the two-hander without substantial improvement though in the preparation phase. without that you'd never know how it feels.

the one, don't know as i didn't see it!

Comment

Crossroads...do the right thing.

OK westcoast777...now listen up son. You have a choice here. You are at the beginning of your tennis life and perhaps you are at the beginning of your adult life as well. Welcome to the real world. Life is full of crossroads such as the one that you are faced with now and what it boils down to is you making a decision. So make the right one. Your tennis training...if you continue to pursue it, is going to be a fine training ground for you to learn how to make decisions like this one, and in life as well.

Furthermore westcoast777, I don’t need to see either of your backhands to offer you the following advice. Go with the one handed backhand and you will never regret it and someday you will thank me because I was the one to step forward and steer you in the right decision...the right direction.

Take it from me...and take it from all of the great champions of the past that the one handed backhand is the most natural shot in tennis...you noted yourself that the two handed does not feel as natural. The reason that this is so is because of the way your body is built. When you are hitting a backhand you left shoulder is in front of your body which puts you in the most potentially powerful position to hit the tennis ball. The most difficult part of hitting a one hand backhand is the realization that you must hit the ball in front of your body, you must be prepared to hit it early...if you are late you are in a position of weakness, if you are too late...you are toast. So you must learn to hit the ball early and when you do learn to do that, you will realize that you do not have to swing very hard to generate a fair amount of power because of the way your body is positioned.

Hitting one handed backhands also will give you a one up on the two handed backhand approach because you will have more variety in your game and you will find it easier to learn how to volley, to hit drop shots, approach shots and lobs. You will find to, that you will have much more variety in your choice of spins as it is easier to hit underspin, topspin and flat shots with basically the same motion. You must understand that this variety is even more valuable to you as a left handed player because this will give you even more of an advantage to maneuver your opponents off balance...by being clever. Your left handed spin is going to be unsettling to your right handed opponents and the more command you have of it, the better. By the way...your backhand stroke does not have to equal your forehand. What you want the backhand to do, compared to the forehand, is to complement it.

Only recently have two handed players begun to breakthrough in the Grand Slam events...although Björn Borg and Jimmy Connors were making gains on the Grand Slam level for the two handers back when tennis was played with standard sized racquets. Historically, a majority of the titles have been won by players using one handed backhands. Two players that come to mind are Pete Sampras and Roger Federer. The third that I would throw in seeing that you are a lefty, is John McEnroe. He has a brilliant backhand.

The one hand backhand is the most elegant shot, and the most effortless for that matter, in tennis whether it is being played on the bounce or in the air. You will look better playing the game...whatever that is worth to you. It counts for something. Look at the elegance of a Roger Federer or John McEnroe compared to...anybody today.

This is not to say that the two handed backhand is not a formidable stroke. Today’s style of play is particularly suitable for two handed play on the backhand side. It is probably easier to disguise the direction of your shot with a two handed backhand seeing as it is possible to meet the ball later in the hitting zone. Plus, nobody seems to go to the net anymore. But if they continue to monkey around with the speed of the game and the equipment I believe that you will find yourself in a better position to adapt to any changes in the game or opponents for that matter...playing one handed backhands.

All that being said, though, it wouldn't hurt to have a look at your backhand...the one handed one.
      Last edited by don_budge; 07-02-2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        OK westcoast777...now listen up son. You have a choice here. You are at the beginning of your tennis life and perhaps you are at the beginning of your adult life as well. Welcome to the real world. Life is full of crossroads such as the one that you are faced with now and what it boils down to is you making a decision. So make the right one. Your tennis training...if you continue to pursue it, is going to be a fine training ground for you to learn how to make decisions like this one, and in life as well.

Furthermore westcoast777, I don’t need to see either of your backhands to offer you the following advice. Go with the one handed backhand and you will never regret it and someday you will thank me because I was the one to step forward and steer you in the right decision...the right direction.

Take it from me...and take it from all of the great champions of the past that the one handed backhand is the most natural shot in tennis...you noted yourself that the two handed does not feel as natural. The reason that this is so is because of the way your body is built. When you are hitting a backhand you left shoulder is in front of your body which puts you in the most potentially powerful position to hit the tennis ball. The most difficult part of hitting a one hand backhand is the realization that you must hit the ball in front of your body, you must be prepared to hit it early...if you are late you are in a position of weakness, if you are too late...you are toast. So you must learn to hit the ball early and when you do learn to do that, you will realize that you do not have to swing very hard to generate a fair amount of power because of the way your body is positioned.

Hitting one handed backhands also will give you a one up on the two handed backhand approach because you will have more variety in your game and you will find it easier to learn how to volley, to hit drop shots, approach shots and lobs. You will find to, that you will have much more variety in your choice of spins as it is easier to hit underspin, topspin and flat shots with basically the same motion. You must understand that this variety is even more valuable to you as a left handed player because this will give you even more of an advantage to maneuver your opponents off balance...by being clever. Your left handed spin is going to be unsettling to your right handed opponents and the more command you have of it, the better. By the way...your backhand stroke does not have to equal your forehand. What you want the backhand to do, compared to the forehand, is to complement it.

Only recently have two handed players begun to breakthrough in the Grand Slam events...although Björn Borg and Jimmy Connors were making gains on the Grand Slam level for the two handers back when tennis was played with standard sized racquets. Historically, a majority of the titles have been won by players using one handed backhands. Two players that come to mind are Pete Sampras and Roger Federer. The third that I would throw in seeing that you are a lefty, is John McEnroe. He has a brilliant backhand.

The one hand backhand is the most elegant shot, and the most effortless for that matter, in tennis whether it is being played on the bounce or in the air. You will look better playing the game...whatever that is worth to you. It counts for something. Look at the elegance of a Roger Federer or John McEnroe compared to...anybody today.

This is not to say that the two handed backhand is not a formidable stroke. Today’s style of play is particularly suitable for two handed play on the backhand side. It is probably easier to disguise the direction of your shot with a two handed backhand seeing as it is possible to meet the ball later in the hitting zone. Plus, nobody seems to go to the net anymore. But if they continue to monkey around with the speed of the game and the equipment I believe that you will find yourself in a better position to adapt to any changes in the game or opponents for that matter...playing one handed backhands.

All that being said, though, it wouldn't hurt to have a look at your backhand...the one handed one.
        his 2 hander is less "natural" because he has spent less time with it.
        id say its more "unfamiliar " than unnatural.
        one of the toughest shots is the high backhand
        a 2 hander handles that better than a one hander
        the 2 hander didnt come into "vogue" until relatively recently
        so yes more champions of the past used a one hander because thats what they did.
        the majority of the past wimbledons champions were serve and volleyers
        dont think you can say thats true anymore
        you have to live in the present
        if you take federer out of the eqation how many past champions in the last 10 years have been one handers
        another way to say it if someone else won a grand slam they were NOT a one handed backhand player

nadal has become a very good volleyer even though he plays with 2 handed back hand , same for murray just to name 2

the modern game has changed
        2 handers if trained properly can become all court players , learn slice backhands, and volley
        the high bouncing topspin ball of today is much different from the ball laver saw
        so advocating the one hander as much for grace ,style,and the way they used to do it im not sure is the best advice.
        jmho
        btw i play with a one handed backhand

i think the decision comes from which stroke can you more reliably hit the ball well
        there will always be some pros and cons to each
        and the correct answer is there is no universal answer thats right for every body.
        in my humble opinion
        Last edited by llll; 07-03-2011, 04:50 AM.

Comment

just finished watching novack/ rafa
          lots of slice backhands a few slice appraoches and deft volleying from novak.
          ONE serve and volley point
          they both have 2 handed backhands by the way

Comment

Lots of slice backhands from rafa only --and it costs him. Djokovic doesn't hit many slice backhands in the rallies. I actually think that the only way that Rafa can beat djokovic is to learn to flatten out his backhand up the line instead of hitting with so much topspin. That, and learn to take his deuce court return earlier and not give up so much time and space to righties who hit slice serves .

For someone in today's game to win with a one hander I think they'll need a dominant serve.

Comment

Originally posted by llll View Post
              his 2 hander is less "natural" because he has spent less time with it.
              id say its more "unfamiliar " than unnatural.
              one of the toughest shots is the high backhand
              a 2 hander handles that better than a one hander
              the 2 hander didnt come into "vogue" until relatively recently
              so yes more champions of the past used a one hander because thats what they did.
              the majority of the past wimbledons champions were serve and volleyers
              dont think you can say thats true anymore
              you have to live in the present
              if you take federer out of the eqation how many past champions in the last 10 years have been one handers
              another way to say it if someone else won a grand slam they were NOT a one handed backhand player

nadal has become a very good volleyer even though he plays with 2 handed back hand , same for murray just to name 2

the modern game has changed
              2 handers if trained properly can become all court players , learn slice backhands, and volley
              the high bouncing topspin ball of today is much different from the ball laver saw
              so advocating the one hander as much for grace ,style,and the way they used to do it im not sure is the best advice.
              jmho
              btw i play with a one handed backhand

i think the decision comes from which stroke can you more reliably hit the ball well
              there will always be some pros and cons to each
              and the correct answer is there is no universal answer thats right for every body.
              in my humble opinion
              don budge
              any thoughts on my thoughts??

Comment

Of course...Larry.

Originally posted by llll View Post
                don budge
                any thoughts on my thoughts??
                Like everything else...I read what you wrote with great interest and take it into consideration. I plan on posting on your "reality" thread as well. In this case though, my remarks were solely intended to address westcoast777 about the crossroads decision he was facing with his backhand, though. I certainly am curious as to what he thinks, aren't you?

Nothing you wrote motivates me to dispute you...I think that you basically have your facts straight, philosophically we may have different points of view...but sometimes I wonder if your comments about "living in the present" are insinuating that I am not, and I am only curious...I am not insulted in the least. I agree with your remark about the lack of universal answers...which is why I tailored my remark to westcoast777's queston.

Last edited by don_budge; 07-05-2011, 01:11 AM.
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Like everything else...I read what you wrote with great interest and take it into consideration. I plan on posting on your "reality" thread as well. In this case though, my remarks were solely intended to address westcoast777 about the crossroads decision he was facing with his backhand, though. I certainly am curious as to what he thinks, aren't you?

Nothing you wrote motivates me to dispute you...I think that you basically have your facts straight, philosophically we may have different points of view...but sometimes I wonder if your comments about "living in the present" are insinuating that I am not, and I am only curious...I am not insulted in the least. I agree with your remark about the lack of universal answers...which is why I tailored my remark to westcoast777's queston.

first i have respect for your comments,knowledge and experience in the game of tennis.
                  i do not in any way mean for anything i say to be an insult
                  i do think that although you are alive and "living in the present"
                  you relish the traditions and old style of play
                  and (my opinion )look down on how tennis is played today
                  icbw
                  if someone loves classical music i can undrstand that jazz, blues,country hip-hop would not be for them
                  but to ask rappers to sing opera????

Comment

Tsonga's 1-handed revelation.

Just re-watched Tsonga coming from 2 sets down to beat Fed at Wimbledon.
                    Key shot in two breaks in 3rd and 4th set were Tsonga, who has used a two-hander all his career, going to a 1-handed running back hand to crack a down-the-line passing shot. Until two weeks ago at Queens, I don't think he'd ever hit one. Normally, Tsonga has a really tough time when he reaches for his 2-hander on the run, not only because of the limited reach, but how cramped you are when you can't plant your feet. These shots were GREAT.
                    Don't know if that tells you anything.
                    I think the future will be alternating, and not in the simplistic way of just resorting to a one-hander to slice.

jim // www.fawcette.net/tennis

Comment

For now, I will be pursuing the two handed backhand.
                      Within the next few days I will be posting footage of both the 1HB and the 2HB...at 120fps

Comment

Here is footage of the 2HBH in action during a semifinal match at a challenger tournament. I didn't see many backhands during my service games, so I chose to post points from the return games only. My opponent had a big serve -- when he got it in. Perhaps taking some pace off would have avoided double-faulting so often, but when he did get it in on the backhand side I felt I did a good job redirecting the pace and returning the ball deep. Here is the footage,

Thoughts I have in looking at the returns are
                        -lousy ready position (fixed this before the final)
                        -contacting too far in front

Please let me know what you think and offer advice for what I can do to improve, thanks
                        Last edited by westcoast777; 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I think...

This is a fairly good angle to view...

I think that the best angle to see the entire stroke is from the front and to the side that you are videoing...in your case the camera should be at the net and to the cameras left for the backhand and to the cameras right for the forehand. Perhaps during a match is not the most flattering time to film as well, so please post some rally strokes. My initial impression was that your backhand was not very effective and you appear to be somewhat off balance...and it does not look very natural, compared to your serve.

I suggest that you send some forehand footage as well...it makes very little sense to view the backhand without the forehand. It is the big picture of your game that is the focus of the coach...and the big picture is made up of all of the little pictures. The real story the coach is interested in is how all the parts are interacting with each other. Think of your tennis game as a chain and made up of many links...and remember that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I suspect we will see your serve soon in the other thread.

Of course I know very little about your tennis game...just from a little video footage. But I will venture this. Your serve looks much more fluid than your backhand...at this point as a coach, I would be trying to convince you that your backhand should endeavor to match the fluidity of your serve. That fluidity in your serve is the most positive aspect of your tennis game that I have seen so far. So, let us see the forehand so that we can gather a few more clues about you and your tennis game...in order to help you assemble the machine, your tennis game.

The two-handed backhand, as it looks now, you will be building from scratch. Foremost, at first glance...it does not look as natural as your one-handed backhand looks, and as you know I have not even seen your one hander. From what little I know about you...it appears that the left hand and the right hand do not appear to be cooperating with each other, which is just short of saying that they are fighting each other. It is not just your hands either, it is both sides of your body and your brain as well. You do not appear to have a clue about how to transfer your weight with both hands on the racquet.

You see...if you were to chose your backhand to be one-handed you are still going to be using both hands, but in the one-handed case it will be clear which hand is the dominant hand and which is the helper hand. Knowing and understanding this particular facet of the stroke is the key to properly transferring your weight into the ball...via your racquet head. From the appearance of your initial efforts on the two-handed backhand it would seem that it is going to take you some time to figure out how all of the parts work together and even then it might not serve your purpose to be two-handed on the backhand. It is not only the hands...westcoast777, it is your entire makeup that makes this a bit unusual...and awkward.

You will have to be aware of this particular individual physical and mental characteristic of your self as it makes you unique to most other tennis players...and to most other people for that matter. Your brain is functioning a bit differently, I think...and it is evidenced by your inclination to do different things on different sides of your body, with different hands as it is. I am not entirely certain what exactly all of this means but perhaps you brain is operating on more of a committee basis and not from one side or the other exclusively. Do you consider things from different angles and then come to your own conclusions? I have similar cerebral issues.

I still stand by my original assumption...that your total makeup in terms of your physical and mental capacity precludes you to play with a one handed backhand. This gives you something in common with my wife...neither one of you listen to me.

Send some video of your one-handed and your two-handed backhand and some of your forehand from the angles that I suggested and let’s see if we can sort this thing out. What the hell...throw in some serves as well. Might as well address the big picture...now!
                          Last edited by don_budge; 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM.
                          don_budge

Comment

I'll keep the footage coming. Rally footage of forehand and backhand (one and two) on the way soon. Yes, the two-hander is not fluid like the serve...yet. And I think it would be unreasonable to expect such. I would estimate I have put in only 8-10 weeks experimenting/playing with the two-handed backhand -- the stroke has quite a bit of room and time to grow. Also keep in mind that I throw right handed very well, much better than I throw left handed, and used to play with a right handed forehand. Would it not be a waste to not bring the right side into my strokes, the side that I have superior weight transfer on?

Additionally, on the effectiveness of the backhand: I found quite the contrary to be true. The two-hander allowed me to return serve from the backhand side without needing to block-return with a slice. The two-hander kept me in the match in a way my one-hander was often unable to, allowing my serve and forehand to take over.
                            Last edited by westcoast777; 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Critical information you left out

Originally posted by westcoast777 View Post
                              ... Also keep in mind that I throw right handed very well, much better than I throw left handed, and used to play with a right handed forehand. Would it not be a waste to not bring the right side into my strokes, the side that I have superior weight transfer on?

Additionally, on the effectiveness of the backhand: I found quite the contrary to be true. The two-hander allowed me to return serve from the backhand side without needing to block-return with a slice. The two-hander kept me in the match in a way my one-hander was often unable to, allowing my serve and forehand to take over.
                              Important points, Westcoast.

One thing I noted in your 2hbh clip is that you hit your 2hbh with 1hbh body work; in fact, your lower body really looks detached from the whole action. If you want to hit a good 2hbh, you need to set your legs up with some kind of "plant" of your feet and turn your lower body through the shot, with the right side of your body turning forward. I don't see much "superior weight transfer" in this clip. On the other hand, if you hit a 1hbh, then you want to leave your body sideways through the stroke; but even in this case, you want your lower body involved in the shot.

But if you want to use your right side to power your left handed backhand, you have to hit a 2hbh. You might be closer to the Nadal model than you realized.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2393 users online. 4 members and 2389 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X