Babolat Balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babolat Balls

Hope this isn't redundant or in the wrong place. Wanted to comment on the article about the Babolat balls used at the French Open.
    I bought a case and have played with them a fair amount, although on a slow hard court, not on clay.
    They're an interesting ball -- quite different from anything I've played with, and I've tried all the tour balls (hope to write a comparison soon, but the work is daunting).
    Short version: Same weight and size as old Dunlop RG's, but the core makes a sound like a handball, and the bounce is unique. The Babolat RG leaps on topspin more than any other ball i've ever used. So, it should help kick serves and kick, topspin forehands.
    As for players saying "it flies" that happens on flat hits where, again you get that "rubber ball" response. So, while it helps on full swings, blocking a serve can cause it to shoot way long.
    The ball picks up dirt and turns dark quickly, but given how often balls are changed on the tour, not sure if that matters there.
    So, if you hit a kick serve or big forehand, you might want to break out a can or two just to surprise your opponent
    P.S. As for the players' objections -- you know, if you want to get multimillion-dollar prize pools, and for the French Open to build a $30 Million roof, you kind of need sponsors.

best // jim www.fawcette.net/tennis

A friend and I played with a can of the Babolats before the French open. I hated them, finding that the ball flew and was harder to control. I'm sticking to Wilson, Penn, Or Dunlop.

glenn

Comment

Yeah.

Yes, I'd pick the Penn ATP Pro's in general, but Dunlop Grand Prix for super-slick-fast courts, myself.
      But these Babolat's were interesting.
      Played with another kind of Babolat last year, in France, on astroturf-over-sand courts, strangest balls ever. Had felt like Rastofarian dreadlocks. Seriously. You could grab a strand and dangle the ball by it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8019 users online. 5 members and 8014 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X