Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Strokes and Serve. Please Help.

Critique, comment, rate.

Sorry about the annoying squeaky 10 year old voices in the background. I am at a tennis camp and there were kids watching. I'll be adding more footage to this OP shortly.

Anyway, I put up a video not too long ago and promised that I'd throw up another that was more representative of my true technical ability so you all could provide me with the best ways of improving my tennis.

Groundstrokes

On my forehand, I do realize that there is a bit more I could be doing with my non racquet hand such as catching the racquet on the followthrough of the stroke. I could also be executing a bit more knee bend off both wings, however I'm finding that I get the power and placement I desire without a great deal of knee bent. The only tough thing I've had with knee bend is not being able to accurately identify a ball which I really have to get down low for; especially approaches. I've missed so many approach shots due to lack of knee bend.
    My backhand has come a long way. I remember uploading 4 short clips maybe 2 years ago of my backhand. I'm very proud. I do realize that my forehand takeback is very weird in this video. It's very linear. I have fixed it since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQGRpOnOtM - July 15th, 2011

Serve - where I'm really struggling.

Low toss? Jammed up? Lazy? Toss too far to the left over my head (according to the video I'm a righty)? Bleh. I've tried it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoSG4YWPVuU - July 15th, 2011

You need some basic structure

You need some basic structure to your strokes. You would be well served to take a long look at the basic lessons in the Classic Lessons section by authors like Mitchell and Murphy. If you want something a little more current, but perhaps a little more advanced, take a good look at JY's Advanced Tennis articles that break down just about everything.

A great source for you on your serve would be the thread in this forum titled "rather frustrating". It's listed just below here and has all kinds of suggestions on how to develop a better snap at the serve.

The good news is that you appear to be reasonably athletic and you are about to embark on a very satisfying, if challenging, journey. Just remember, it's about the journey, not the destination; and you could have a long, enjoyable one. The bad news is you have a lot of work to do.

good luck,
    don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
      You need some basic structure to your strokes. You would be well served to take a long look at the basic lessons in the Classic Lessons section by authors like Mitchell and Murphy. If you want something a little more current, but perhaps a little more advanced, take a good look at JY's Advanced Tennis articles that break down just about everything.

A great source for you on your serve would be the thread in this forum titled "rather frustrating". It's listed just below here and has all kinds of suggestions on how to develop a better snap at the serve.

The good news is that you appear to be reasonably athletic and you are about to embark on a very satisfying, if challenging, journey. Just remember, it's about the journey, not the destination; and you could have a long, enjoyable one. The bad news is you have a lot of work to do.

good luck,
      don
      Thanks. I'll check out that serving thread right now. But basic structure on my strokes? What's missing?

Comment

OK...one thing at a time drichards2013

The thing about your video is this...the image on the tape is the information that we have to go by to attempt to analyze your tennis strokes. What you have presented us here is too much information in the sense that you are moving around quite a bit, therefore you do not afford yourself relatively calm strokes for us to analyze. But that is ok in one sense because it illustrates some of the issues that I believe tennis_chiro is alluding to...about lack of structure.

So let's try to sort this thing out. Now I am a simple guy...as all of the readers on this forum and my wife will attest too. So let's take it one stroke at a time. As a tennis player and coach...I am naturally attracted to the weakness that I perceive. As a player I look at the weakness as something to exploit and as a coach I see that this is the point where opponents will want to attack my student. Let's look at the forehand first because this is the stroke that you will want to develop as a weapon and I think you are on your way...at least for the level of opponents that you are playing. Btw...what level are you...USTA ?

The genuine weakness that I perceive in your forehand is in the backswing. With your straight on approach you are basically attempting to get your racquet back into position with an arm only motion and the weakness in this technique is that the wrist is flapping around too much and you will not begin every swing with your wrist stable in the same position every time. This is partly what tennis_chiro is referring to when he mentions lack of "structure"...I think. To "get in position", I recommend that you try to imagine creating three lines...one line, at the end of your toes of both feet, where the front foot is approximately 6 inches in front of the back foot...the second line is with with your racquet, which is on the same line that you created with your feet...and finally, the last line is with your shoulders and hips, which is on the same line as your feet and racquet. Comprendo?

So we want to develop a bit more solid structure to your forehand swing and I think that the best place to do that is in your foundation which is the point where you are in position to go forward with your swing to the ball...let's call this "get in position" position. Every time you swing the forehand you will want to begin your swing in this same position as close as you can for each and every forehand. To get to this point you need a good solid method of getting there so I am going to refer you to the discussion in the "Backswing" thread started by licensedcoach. Browse through this little discussion and get back to us.

Study the backswing technique of this guy. He sets the racquet, wrist and arm immediately as soon as he recognizes that it is a forehand, in his ready position to approximately the position it will be in his "get in position" and then his backswing is accomplished by a turn of his body to the ball...his arm does not move independently of his body...he "pushes" his arm and racquet back with his free hand and his shoulders. To fully understand the shape of his swing...trace his right index finger throughout his stroke.

So now drichards2013...do a little homework, as tennis_chiro suggested, do a lot of homework, do a lot of research, do a lot of detective work...then repost some more video when you think you have modified your forehand backswing. In order for us to help you...you must give us some good quality information and as I mentioned, this information is your video images. Try to recreate the video image on Tomic's backhand for instance in your submission. To film a forehand the best angle to film is for the camera to be in front and perhaps thirty degrees to the left of the subject...opposite for the backhand. Btw...it appears to me that the backhand has some pretty decent "structure" but it is hard to tell from the angle you have given us. Include some calm shots on your backhand side when you resubmit. The video of your strokes should be rather calm shots without too much running around...we want to see you at your best and go from there.

The bad news is your tennis game looks to me rather typical of an intermediate player who has not had very much coaching so you can count on a lot of hard work if you are serious about changing your homemade stuff into classical looking strokes. The good news is that you look as if you have the energy and the talent to do it...so the bad news is not so bad. It's up to you.

The serve is going to have to wait...that is a long story. Here is a good place to start though...arguably the sweetest service motion ever under the sun.

A good thread to start with the serve is "Racquet snaps the wrist on serve..." on page two of the forum now. tennis_chiro has some rather lengthy explanations that will be difficult for you to follow...they were challenging for me as well, but the video instruction he provided is very valuable. I would refer you to bottle's "New Years Serve" thread but we may as well save you a trip to the looney farm...not that it doesn't have the most redeeming qualities, especially for those of us that are a bit mad in the first place. You might want to read my "Rollercoaster of Love" explanation in "Serve snaps the wrist" (posts #32, #33, and #34)...a little story about a rollercoaster and how it relates to the service motion. It's simpler to read, I think, than either tennis_chiro or bottle...like me. I am simple. LCD (lowest common denominator). KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Very good drichards2013...I just checked "Who's online" and it is in the middle of the night, depending on where you are located, and you are already knee deep into "Serve snaps the wrist"...there is hope for you. Remember one thing at a time...forehand backswing first.
        Last edited by don_budge; 07-18-2011, 03:01 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          The thing about your video is this...the image on the tape is the information that we have to go by to attempt to analyze your tennis strokes. What you have presented us here it too much information in the sense that you are moving around quite a bit therefore you do not afford yourself relatively calm strokes for us to analyze. But that is ok in one sense because it illustrates some of the issues that I believe tennis_chiro is alluding to...about lack of structure.

So let's try to sort this thing out. Now I am a simple guy...as all of the readers on this forum and my wife will attest too. So let's take it one stroke at a time. As a tennis player and coach...I am naturally attracted to the weakness that I perceive. As a player I look at the weakness as something to exploit and as a coach I see that this is the point where opponents will want to attack my student. Let's look at the forehand first because this is the stroke that you will want to develop as a weapon and I think you are on your way...at least for the level of opponents that you are playing. Btw...what level are you...USTA ?

The genuine weakness that I perceive in your forehand is in the backswing. With your straight on approach you are basically attempting to get your racquet back into position with an arm only motion and the weakness in this technique is that the wrist is flapping around too much and you will not begin every swing with your wrist in the same position every time. This is partly what tennis_chiro is referring to when he mentions lack of "structure"...I think. To "get in position", I recommend that you try to imagine creating three lines...one with your feet is where the front foot is approximately 6 inches in front of the back foot...one with your racquet, which is on the same line with your feet...and finally, one with your shoulders and hips, which is on the same line as your feet and racquet. Comprendo?

So we want to develop a bit more solid structure to your forehand swing and I think that the best place to do that is in your foundation which is the point where you are in position to go forward...let's call this "get in position" position. Every time you swing the forehand you will want to begin your swing in this same position as close as you can for each and every forehand. To get to this point you need a good solid method of getting there so I am going to refer you to the discussion in the "Backswing" thread started by licensedcoach. Browse through this little discussion and get back to us.

Study the backswing technique of this guy. He sets the racquet, wrist and arm in his ready position to approximately the position it will be in his "get in position" and then his backswing is accomplished by a turn or his body to the ball...his arm does not move independently of his body. To fully understand the shape of his swing...trace his right index finger throughout his stroke.

So now drichards2013...do a little homework, as tennis_chiro suggested, do a lot of homework, do a lot of research, do a lot of detective work...then repost some more video when you think you have modified you forehand backswing. In order for us to help you...you must give us some good quality information and as I mentioned, this information is your video images. Try to recreate the image on Tomic's backhand for instance in your submission. To film a forehand the best angle to film is for the camera to be in front and perhaps thirty degrees to the left of the subject...opposite for the backhand. Btw...it appears to me that the backhand has some pretty decent "structure" but it is hard to tell from the angle. Include some shots on your backhand side when you resubmit. The video of your strokes should be rather calm shots without too much running around...we want to see you at your best and go from there.

The bad news is your tennis game looks to me rather typical of an intermediate player who has not had very much coaching so you can count on a lot of hard work if you are serious about changing your homemade stuff into classical looking strokes. The good news is that you look as if you have the energy and the talent to do it...so the bad news is not so bad. It's up to you.

The serve is going to have to wait...that is a long story. Here is a good place to start though...arguably the sweetest service motion ever under the sun.

A good thread to start with the serve is "Racquet snaps the wrist on serve..." on page two of the forum now. tennis_chiro has some rather lengthy explanations that will be difficult for you to follow...they were challenging for me as well, but the video instruction he provided is very valuable. I would refer you to bottle's "New Years Serve" thread but we may as well save you a trip to the looney farm. You might want to read my "Rollercoaster of Love" explanation. It's simpler...like me.

Very good drichards2013...I just checked "Who's online" and it is in the middle of the night, depending on where you are located, and you are already knee deep into "Serve snaps the wrist"...there is hope for you. Remember one thing at a time...forehand backswing first.
          Thanks a lot Don. I play in the Boys 16s USTA. I also play 7 days a week. 5 days at the Port Washington Tennis Academy, and an additional 2 days on the weekends with a hitting partner. I'm beginning to get worried and upset that none of the coaches or friends noticed the flaws in my forehand backswing and my serve. The serve is exceptionally horrendous. I'm reading the threads you recommended right now.

Comment

You are your own Captain!

You are welcome drichards2013. Don't worry about the others young man. You are only beginning to realize just how alone you are in the world...but the good news is you are in control of your own destiny...if you grab your life by the balls (tennis speak). Count on yourself first, second and third...you can only hope to find someone else to help you. If you do, count your blessings. This is the best lesson that I ever learned from my tennis training...how to rely upon myself. You are all alone on the court in the end, making your own decisions, and there are plenty of them to be made in terms of number and variety...much like life, as it is.
            Last edited by don_budge; 07-18-2011, 02:45 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
            don_budge

Comment

The way Forward...on your backswing.

After giving things a little more thought...here are a couple of ideas how you can structure your way forward on your forehand backswing. Keep in mind I am putting you on the fast track, drichards2013, because of your work ethic and the amount of time you are prepared to dedicate to your tennis game. "Eight days a week...it's not enough to show I care!"-The Beatles.

With all of the time you have to spend on your tennis you must make the best use of it therefore maximizing your progress. I suggest that you watch the video of Roger's backswing over and over and process what we have discussed in the "Backswing" thread. Your backswing, I think, should be not quite as big as Federer's and your racquet head should be approximately shoulder high as it passes by you on its way back into position and no higher, for now.

I would like you to begin your practice sessions hitting against the wall for as long as you can stand it, a half an hour will suffice...without overdoing it. Pick a spot on the wall and try to aim for it every single stroke while at the same time using the backswing technique on every single stroke. Pay attention to your footwork and the "get in position" position. Try to swing from a semi-sitting position. Get your ass into position...literally. Repetition...like a prayer, like a litany, over and over, until it becomes second nature to you.

After your wall exercise practice with a partner aiming to hit the ball to your partner waist high, one bounce every single time...and all the time working on your backswing technique. Spend the better part of a week to start with on this facet of your game...in this manner we can build structure on the forehand side. Fortunately for you, the manner in which you bring your racquet head through the path of the ball is quite good.

Lastly, if you are playing some practice points or competition maintain the integrity of your new backswing even if you are a bit uncomfortable with it.

After a week, if you feel your technique is ready for further evaluation, post another video, per my instructions, on your thread. This is your thread, you own it, make good use of it. Now...go to work!

Last edited by don_budge; 07-18-2011, 02:48 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
              don_budge

Comment

Thanks so much Don! I'm on my way to the courts right now. I'm about an hour early. I'll head to the wall as soon as I get dressed in my tennis attire. I'll be sure to watch and practice Roger Federer's backswing technique extensively until it becomes innate. I'm very grateful that you've shown such interest in helping me out. I'll have a progress video up Friday afternoon.

You can call me Dylan if you want.
                Last edited by drichards2013; 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: My name.

Comment

From the Looney Farm

Very good advice you've received on shape of a forehand loop, but I'm not sure that Federer should be the big model-- I'm shifting more to Ferrer myself. Of course if you're looking at videos from two different players instead of one your life just became what-- twice or twenty times as complicated?

The remedy for everything as Steve already is trying to tell you is to seize control of your own destiny. That means being open and asking questions and yes, submitting visual information, but at the same time not putting yourself into the classic patient-doctor relationship. To hell with that. The modern patient-doctor relationship sees both persons as collaborators.

Or, I would suggest, get out of medical altogether and become a chef.
                  Yes, come up with recipes, for all your strokes, and if that works, don't stop there, provide recipes for everybody else you know as well.

Recipe for serve: Get front hip out more which will get front shoulder up which will give you a better chance of generating some upward spin to go with the sidespin.

I can't tell how flexible you are in the rotator cuff but so far that's looking
                  pretty good. I don't know any more how a person with great cuff flexibility
                  ought to serve but would refer them to the TP videos of Sampras along with articles about same.

One thing I do know is that you're going to want not to club the ball, not to be rough-- an easy, unhurried motion in which the more fluid you are the more pronounced your snap will be-- and tennischiro ought to be your guide for that what with his youtube videos at Global Tennis DC .

I see confidence in the current backhand. Use that confidence for everything.

Comment

Thanks Bottle! I appreciate your reply. I do recognize that the problem I have with my serve is the fact that I am tossing the ball far too low and to the right of me. I am a lefty, however the video that I take on my Macintosh reverses the image. My service motion is very frequently rushed and I am working on that daily. When I try tossing the ball higher, it feels weird.

Comment

Federer vs. Ferrer...What's the difference?

As a coach...or a witch doctor...or a shaman...or a physician...or a chef, one always tries to tailor any instructions or remedies or recipes for their beginning and intermediate students based on their tendencies or their symptoms or their tastes...or one tries to serve up the same dish of fundamentals to all students...like any good evangelical preacher. Take your pick...it's pretty much the same in the end. Six of one...a half dozen of the other. The coach is Navarro...I mean, Collins...no it's Hopman. Excuse me. I hallucinate.

In this case...I choose the Federer model for the following reason. It begins with the manner in which he places his feet. The tennis player's stroke will unwind from the bottom up...from the bottom of the feet until the end of the follow through to the racquet's tip. I cherry picked this particular shot of Roger's forehand because of the way he places his feet...and the fact that this swing is just...poetry in motion. Front foot six inches in front of the rear foot...give or take some wiggle room. Classic stance...right out of Tilden's book, "How to Play Better Tennis, a complete guide to technique and tactics". The book is Tilden.

When Roger is in position to go forward notice that his shoulders and racquet are pretty much on the same line...in the same plane. He has all of his vectors lined up...all of his ducks in a row. Notice also the manner in which he is in a semi-sitting position when he is making his swing...this is what you call perfect balance. This sort of crouching position is one of the things you look for in a potential tennis player...Stotty's Dyna has the makings of it. When the ball is coming to Federer, or any other good tennis player, they are automatically in this semi-crouching position. I tell my little students..."You are a big cat, and the little yellow ball is a mouse". When they are a bit older I just say "get your ass in position"...why mince words? I'm sort of kidding...but not really. Need I say more. Right away I want them to get used to crouching on the tennis court...like a panther...like Gonzales. The model is Gonzales.

If you take it frame by frame and look at Roger's feet, as he begins his forward movement, his right foot subtly, ever so subtly, shifts the weight to the inside of the foot...this is such a beautiful move. It's golf on the run. This is the kind of balance you aim for on every shot (practice against the wall is probably the only place to realistically practice this if you are not a Roger Federer) but it is not realistic most of the time, especially in matches where footwork is the first place where technique begins to break down...collapse is initiated from the bottom also, as any demolition expert knows. Hmmm...

So the shot sequences into the following moves...legs and hips follow the feet, shoulders and arm, followed lastly with the wrist and racquet. Notice that he is turning on an imaginary pole that passes through the top of his head and out his rear end...creating the centrifugal energy that will be unleashed via his wrist into the head of his racquet. Notice how he keeps his head perfectly still throughout the whole process...like the fixed point of a compass. Perfect balance...and rotation through the swing. Federer is living proof.

At your level of development I would like to see you pay a lot more attention to the "get in position" position as you seem to be overly satisfied, and way too complacent, in merely getting over to the ball and taking a swipe at it off the "wrong" foot. Do you care? Of course you do. I would prefer to see you start all rallies by bouncing the ball and using the proper footwork and weight transfer too. How many times will you begin a rally with this action in your lifetime if you are practicing and playing tennis eight days a week...a million, two million? These are all opportunities to practice being perfect, being godlike...with your feet and weight and your stroke. Don't pass them up by being careless or thoughtless. Be conscious. Be conscientious. Always be aware. And of course, all of this is philosophically tied into your preparation and backswing. Perfectionism...is a trait of all really good tennis players...and must be learned at an early stage. Some say that tennis is metaphoric...of life...perhaps in the end, your game is a reflection of you.

If you can get to the ball on time and put yourself into this semi-sitting position (get your ass in position) then all of the proper muscles and parts of your body are sufficiently engaged to make the kind of move into the ball that Roger does. In every one of Ferrer's forehands that are posted in the Stroke Archive he is hitting from an open stance...and consequently off his back foot with less than perfect balance. But bottle is correct in the sense that you will of course have to be comfortable hitting from an open stance, ala Ferrer, as well because at your level of development your position is going to be less than perfect most of the time...which shouldn't confuse you either or cause you not to aspire to perfect balance on every single shot. I repeat myself...practice against the wall...and take dead aim.

After your practice sessions and you have returned to the privacy of your home...take your racquet and rehearse your backswing in the mirror...fifty times, no make that a thousand.

Thanks Dylan...for the opportunity to communicate with you about tennis. You provide me with an opportunity...to shout across the ocean, till I can shout no more. I am writing not just to you, but to everyone...everywhere. The beauty of cyber space...this is for westcoast777 and Dyna too. As bottle writes...this is a reciprocal process. We are collaborating. All of us. He is truly a brilliant man, in his own right...in the English language, among other things. Artist. Activist. What have you. Hi, bottle!

Wait...what's that I hear. I think tennis_chiro is arriving on the scene.

Last edited by don_budge; 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                      don_budge

Comment

rhythm on your serve

Originally posted by drichards2013 View Post
                        Thanks Bottle! I appreciate your reply. I do recognize that the problem I have with my serve is the fact that I am tossing the ball far too low and to the right of me. I am a lefty, however the video that I take on my Macintosh reverses the image. My service motion is very frequently rushed and I am working on that daily. When I try tossing the ball higher, it feels weird.
                        Hi Dylan,
                        I thought it was something more than that great indoor echo that was pulling on my nostalgia heart strings. I played a lot of matches on just the court you did your filming on at Port Washington. In the mid seventies, we played tournaments almost every month there that ran Friday nite beginning at 10:30, Saturday nite at 10:00 and Sundays maybe two rounds beginning at 6:00PM. And I had playing lessons almost every morning beginning at 7:00 at Tennisport! Kinda tough on the love life, but I really loved playing those tournaments. In fact, some weekends, I would be simultaneously entered there, in another event at Bobby Kaplan's Glenwood Landings courts (really fast; and we could usually get to play those matches earlier in the afternoon before 6) and finally a Sunday nite only after 6 tournament at Glen Cove's Cove Racquet (hartru). Do they still have the "ice rink" up front at Port. The first two courts when you went out to the Uniturf courts, were hard, dry hartru and we used to call it the "ice rink" because it was so slippery. It was fast enough to serve and volley, but it was really tough to learn how to stay on your feet. It was a little extra fun because everyone went by you on the way to their court. Damn, it almost hurts to think about it; I miss those days so much.

But to your serve. Dylan, you actually have a nice start on a good rhythm. But take a good look at the position of your racket arm as you complete the toss. That's not a good, classic "trophy" position. Try practicing the motion just up to that point, first holding on to the ball and then letting the toss go up and come back down in your outstretched hand. Try imagining yourself winding the tape of your serve forwards and then back to the beginning; that is the essence of my toss and catch drill. You can find it on youtube on my GlobalTennisDC channel. But use the rhythm of your own serve. You have a MAC so I'm going to assume you have Quicktime Pro. If not, you should get it. Get QuickTime Player 7. It has a loop feature where you can run a clip continuously forward and reverse. Then just cut your clip from where you begin the motion to where you let the toss go up. Cut it to where the ball would basically be at the top of the toss. Now you will see a rhythm in forward and reverse. Check Kerry Mitchell's serve article in April and May about learning to serve without moving your feet first before you start leaping into the court.

Once you get to where you can toss the ball rhythmically and get into a proper "trophy position" with your elbows forming a straight line with your upper arms and your collarbones, then you are ready for toss and catch/ toss and hit. In rhythm: practice by tossing and catching in rhythm over and over again; you don't need a court. But you need the court to hit it. Go toss and catch, toss and hit; it's better with 2 balls and 4 total motions. But do something a little different. Say to yourself: toss, drop, hit. As you toss the ball your weight moves forward (see your own video) and you move into a good "trophy position"; as the ball leaves your hand and goes up you let the racket fall into a good "pro drop" position; but just before the racket head reaches the bottom, you swing up to hit the ball (sequencing legs, torso, shoulders, arm and finally wrist).

In the meantime, you can help yourself a little bit by just trying to say to yourself "toss, drop, hit"; but you really need to go through the whole thing. You are getting a lot of good advice here on this thread. Don't try to do it all at once. Is Bobby Binns still there to give you a hand? Damn, you stirred up some wild memories for me from there. The first time I played there was 40 years ago in the qualifying for a pro satellite. I had no clue on the clay. Beat George Gondelman the first day and lost to a Connecticut teaching pro, Ted Ware the second. Don't remember anything about the matches; just the two young ladies I got to ride the LIRR with my out to the matches those two days. Oh my ...

good luck to you,
                        don

Comment

The Wall- Pink Floyd

On a crappy day for golf, it was windy, drizzling and chilly...one day long ago, young Tiger Woods stood alone on the driving range tee of some unknown golf course pounding monstrous drives and he paused and thought to himself, "Nobody is going to outwork me! I hope my competition is home, warm and comfortable, watching TV and playing computer games." He wore a hardened, resolute look on his face as he confidently strode to the putting green to resume practicing the delicate art of scoring, it was tedious work, chipping and putting...in the in-climate, shitty weather. He was, however, on a mission.

Some years ago, the Michigan tennis scene was long dominated by a tennis program from a lower middle class Polish and Italian neighborhood in Hamtramack...bordering Detroit. They perennially beat all the competition, all the rich kids...like red haired, left handed, freckle faced, unwanted...stepchildren. The program was the brainchild of one Jean Hoxie whose method was to train her students by hitting against the wall. I doubt that she knew the difference between supination and pronation. I could be wrong. Supposedly the program only had one tennis court but plenty of wall space. But when the program took off even the wall space became limited and the players had to learn to practice on smaller and smaller pieces of real estate...thereby becoming more accurate with their shots in the process. They competed on the wall to get time on the solitary court. Viciously it seems. When they got on the court, they were even worse. If you can imagine that. The players she trained reflected their training...they were solid, precise and as patient as rocks. The Hoxie kids always stuck together at the tournaments...they were like a clan. They had their traditions to live up to. Torben Ulrich, the ancient Danish Zen meister, who was also a professional tennis player in his spare time, supposedly penned a book called, "The Wall". He was a real character from what I gather. I have not read the book, but I certainly would like to.

I think I can hear from clear across the Atlantic Ocean...doink, doink, doink, doink...the sound of one young man methodically developing some structure to his forehand backswing and at the same time, perhaps unwittingly he is in the process of developing some tactics to go along with it. The only living boy in New York. Hopefully, one day, this hard work is going to pay off because of his determination...his dedication...and his desire to separate himself from the herd. He may not be destined to be a great tennis player but everyone can develop into a great human being...there is a recipe for success. At least we are given a chance. That chance is called...life. Dylan...are you there?

Just a little bit about the wall. The wall unlike most people...will never lie to you or let you down. You will get exactly what you deserve. If you make a mistake, it will let you know. If you are perfect in your execution, the wall is going to do what it does best, it will reflect exactly what you did to the ball...and it will return it to you one bounce, waist high, every time, just like you pictured it. The wall is insurmountable. You can never hope to defeat it. Your best efforts produce a tie...and then for only so long. It's inevitable...you can't beat the wall. Peaches Bartkowicz of the Hoxie clan reputedly tied the wall for over six hours one day, without a miss...then she quit because she had someplace to be. Marathon runners talk of reaching the wall...running into the wall. Concentrate on your technique...and develop patience. Practice not giving in...to the wall. Your opponents are marshmallows in comparison.

There is so much that you can learn by practicing against the wall. First of all, you don't need anybody else to do it. That in itself is a beautiful thing. You don't need anybody...it's all about you. You don't need a coach, or a doctor, or a teacher, or a chef (except maybe to cook you a little lunch)...you need to get motivated. That's all. Another thing, just for example...learn to move forward quickly on low balls. Learn to react to the low ball so that instead of taking the ball off your shoe laces, and scraping your racquet on the court, you take the ball comfortably six inches higher if possible. Every little bit helps, little things matter...it's the difference between winning and losing. On high balls move back quickly...instead of ineffectively trying to hit the ball head high get back quickly and take it shoulder high or better. Then take your knowledge and training to the tennis court. See what I mean? You can do this...anybody can.

But now Dylan...let me introduce to you the other “t” word in the game of tennis and the word is tactics. Technique is not the end in itself in the game of tennis...but it is a significant contributor to the means to the end. Tactics in itself is not the end either...perhaps the end is the execution of the tactics, which is accomplished with a combination of sound technique, mental acumen...and perhaps most importantly...guts. The courage to see this thing through to its conclusion.

With your exercise on the wall I instructed you to concentrate on your technique and to aim at a spot. Aiming is not to be underestimated here in developing the structure of your forehand and all other strokes for that matter. How do you aim? First of all...get in position. With a solid foundation direct all of your energy through your swing at the target and follow through at your target...aiming is largely a derivative of trial and error. Your body and your brain will figure it out. You learn to ask yourself the question...why. Why did the ball go left?...why did the ball go right?...why was I late?...and so on and so forth. You learn to recalibrate...adjust your technique. Read "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugene Herrigel, when you get the chance...when you are ready.

Never allow any tennis ball to come into contact with your racquet without an express intent of doing something very specific with it. Nothing careless...when you are on the tennis court. Nothing careless...nothing stupid. What the hell...be the same way off the court. For example..if you are to return a ball to your opponent when it is his serve, don't just slap it at him any which way...aim to give it to him on one bounce and waist high. Be disciplined. Be a gentleman in the process. Make it a habit. But don't expect him to do you the same courtesy...that's up to him. See what I mean about not worrying about the other guy.

So where should you aim when practicing against the wall? Pick a spot about a meter over the imaginary top of the net. Pick another spot about a meter over this first spot...now you have two targets. Mark those spots with pieces of tape, mark the height of the net on the wall if it isn't already...now they are no longer imaginary. Why didn't I think of that in the first place? I must be slipping a little.

First...try to hit a goal of say, thirty to forty shots at your first target without missing. Once you accomplish this...try to aim the same number at the higher target. Vary your speed of your shots. Hit all of your shots at normal speed...then hit a round much slower...then hit a round of shots at a higher rate of speed. Do the same thing aiming at the higher target. Now do the same thing except switch targets every other ball. Now we are developing control of our stroke to go along with the new structure. At the same time we are laying the foundation in the development of our tactics.

Video day is Monday of next week if you are game...or not, take as long as you like, Rome wasn't built in a day, you know, in fact it wasn't built in a thousand days...it was built in 36,500 days. Ten years. To build your game to championship level. A labor of love. You can think of your next video submission as an exam. Do your homework...and prepare. You know it's coming, get into position.

Question...what is more significant at this moment in your development, power or control?
                          Last edited by don_budge; 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            On a crappy day for golf, it was windy, drizzling and chilly...one day long ago, young Tiger Woods stood alone on the driving range tee of some unknown golf course pounding monstrous drives and he paused and thought to himself, "Nobody is going to outwork me! I hope my competition is home, warm and comfortable, watching TV and playing computer games." He wore a hardened, resolute look on his face as he confidently strode to the putting green to resume practicing the delicate art of scoring, it was tedious work, chipping and putting...in the in-climate, shitty weather. He was, however, on a mission.

Some years ago, the Michigan tennis scene was long dominated by a tennis program from a lower middle class Polish and Italian neighborhood in Hamtramack...bordering Detroit. They perennially beat all the competition, all the rich kids...like red haired, left handed, freckle faced, unwanted...stepchildren. The program was the brainchild of one Jean Hoxie whose method was to train her students by hitting against the wall. I doubt that she knew the difference between supination and pronation. I could be wrong. Supposedly the program only had one tennis court but plenty of wall space. But when the program took off even the wall space became limited and the players had to learn to practice on smaller and smaller pieces of real estate...thereby becoming more accurate with their shots in the process. They competed on the wall to get time on the solitary court. Viciously it seems. When they got on the court, they were even worse. If you can imagine that. The players she trained reflected their training...they were solid, precise and as patient as rocks. The Hoxie kids always stuck together at the tournaments...they were like a clan. They had their traditions to live up to. Torben Ulrich, the ancient Danish Zen meister, who was also a professional tennis player in his spare time, supposedly penned a book called, "The Wall". He was a real character from what I gather. I have not read the book, but I certainly would like to.

I think I can hear from clear across the Atlantic Ocean...doink, doink, doink, doink...the sound of one young man methodically developing some structure to his forehand backswing and at the same time, perhaps unwittingly he is in the process of developing some tactics to go along with it. The only living boy in New York. Hopefully, one day, this hard work is going to pay off because of his determination...his dedication...and his desire to separate himself from the herd. He may not be destined to be a great tennis player but everyone can develop into a great human being...there is a recipe for success. At least we are given a chance. That chance is called...life. Dylan...are you there?

Just a little bit about the wall. The wall unlike most people...will never lie to you or let you down. You will get exactly what you deserve. If you make a mistake, it will let you know. If you are perfect in your execution, the wall is going to do what it does best, it will reflect exactly what you did to the ball...and it will return it to you one bounce, waist high, every time, just like you pictured it. The wall is insurmountable. You can never hope to defeat it. Your best efforts produce a tie...and then for only so long. It's inevitable...you can't beat the wall. Peaches Bartkowicz of the Hoxie clan reputedly tied the wall for over six hours one day, without a miss...then she quit because she had someplace to be. Marathon runners talk of reaching the wall...running into the wall. Concentrate on your technique...and develop patience. Practice not giving in...to the wall. Your opponents are marshmallows in comparison.

There is so much that you can learn by practicing against the wall. First of all, you don't need anybody else to do it. That in itself is a beautiful thing. You don't need anybody...it's all about you. You don't need a coach, or a doctor, or a teacher, or a chef (except maybe to cook you a little lunch)...you need to get motivated. That's all. Another thing, just for example...learn to move forward quickly on low balls. Learn to react to the low ball so that instead of taking the ball off your shoe laces, and scraping your racquet on the court, you take the ball comfortably six inches higher if possible. Every little bit helps, little things matter...it's the difference between winning and losing. On high balls move back quickly...instead of ineffectively trying to hit the ball head high get back quickly and take it shoulder high or better. Then take your knowledge and training to the tennis court. See what I mean? You can do this...anybody can.

But now Dylan...let me introduce to you the other “t” word in the game of tennis and the word is tactics. Technique is not the end in itself in the game of tennis...but it is a significant contributor to the means to the end. Tactics in itself is not the end either...perhaps the end is the execution of the tactics, which is accomplished with a combination of sound technique, mental acumen...and perhaps most importantly...guts. The courage to see this thing through to its conclusion.

With your exercise on the wall I instructed you to concentrate on your technique and to aim at a spot. Aiming is not to be underestimated here in developing the structure of your forehand and all other strokes for that matter. How do you aim? First of all...get in position. With a solid foundation direct all of your energy through your swing at the target and follow through at your target...aiming is largely a derivative of trial and error. Your body and your brain will figure it out. You learn to ask yourself the question...why. Why did the ball go left?...why did the ball go right?...why was I late?...and so on and so forth. You learn to recalibrate...adjust your technique. Read "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugene Herrigel, when you get the chance...when you are ready.

Never allow any tennis ball to come into contact with your racquet without an express intent of doing something very specific with it. Nothing careless...when you are on the tennis court. Nothing careless...nothing stupid. What the hell...be the same way off the court. For example..if you are to return a ball to your opponent when it is his serve, don't just slap it at him any which way...aim to give it to him on one bounce and waist high. Be disciplined. Be a gentleman in the process. Make it a habit. But don't expect him to do you the same courtesy...that's up to him. See what I mean about not worrying about the other guy.

So where should you aim when practicing against the wall? Pick a spot about a meter over the imaginary top of the net. Pick another spot about a meter over this first spot...now you have two targets. Mark those spots with pieces of tape, mark the height of the net on the wall if it isn't already...now they are no longer imaginary. Why didn't I think of that in the first place? I must be slipping a little.

First...try to hit a goal of say, thirty to forty shots at your first target without missing. Once you accomplish this...try to aim the same number at the higher target. Vary your speed of your shots. Hit all of your shots at normal speed...then hit a round much slower...then hit a round of shots at a higher rate of speed. Do the same thing aiming at the higher target. Now do the same thing except switch targets every other ball. Now we are developing control of our stroke to go along with the new structure. At the same time we are laying the foundation in the development of our tactics.

Video day is Monday of next week if you are game...or not, take as long as you like, Rome wasn't built in a day, you know, in fact it wasn't built in a thousand days...it was built in 36,500 days. Ten years. To build your game to championship level. A labor of love. You can think of your next video submission as an exam. Do your homework...and prepare. You know it's coming, get into position.

Question...what is more significant at this moment in your development, power or control?
                            Oh jeez Don. Each time you post, I am left nearly speechless and a great deal more inspired. I teared up a bit after reading this. Each day, I realize that who I am, what I become, and who I want to be is all a reflection of how I've shaped and and chiseled myself.

I played a practice match yesterday against a 9 year old and lost 6-2, 6-1. But I ain't even mad. It's called a practice match for a reason. I got out there, stuck to my plain of only hitting kick serves, focused on my forehand backswing, and made certain that I engaged in crosscourt rallies. At the end of the day, I feel improved.

And to answer your question, control is more important to me at this very moment. I'm using the Blx Tour 90. I upgraded from the K Six One 90. I actually had 12 K90s, lol. Down to 6 Blx now. I had the opportunity to play with someone else's racket yesterday. It weighed 9 oz. I got the best hitting of my life out of it. I didn't miss any kick serves either. Is that a sign? Is my racquet too heavy? Should I man up and stick with my racquet, or buy the 95 version?

Comment

Geoff Williams...

Originally posted by drichards2013 View Post
                              . At the end of the day, I feel improved.

Should I man up and stick with my racquet, or buy the 95 version?
                              What a great feeling, isn't it? You can feel that way at the end of every day, barring the occasional off day. That's great Dylan.

What's up with hitting only kick serves. Any good lefty worth his salt has a big slice in the bag. Use it in combination with the kick serves. Look for the Stan Smith on the serve thread, it's on page two now near the bottom...there is a good video about serving tactics there.

Never change a winning game but always change a losing game. If you get beaten in the first...rethink your tactics. You will have to bite the bullet sometimes if you are reworking some of your technique however. Keep practicing...it doesn't happen overnight!

Sometimes golfers will borrow another guy's club...hit it great and then start to think about changing equipment. Golfers call this "the other man's club disease". I am not much of an equipment expert...what is a Blx Tour 90?

There is a guy on the forum who is an equipment guru. His name is geoffwilliams...he has been rather quiet lately. I hope that everything is ok with him. geoffwilliams?
                              Last edited by don_budge; 07-21-2011, 11:44 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2434 users online. 4 members and 2430 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X