drichards and response as inspiration;questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drichards and response as inspiration;questions

I thought that the post by drichards and the response was great. A member who loves tennis and wants to improve reaching out to other members for suggestions and help and wonderful responses from Don Budge (Steve), Don Brosseau, Bottle and others. The more of this the better. Inspired by that, I ask a couple of questions below. I am particularly interested in these questions as they have direct relevance to a program I have become involved in near my home town which teaches tennis to kids at risk kids. Don Brosseau has already given me some great help on technical advice for strokes and other advice for the kids.

1. I thought Don Budge' s(Steve's) thoughts on practice for drichards was really interesting - the practice wall drill, etc. I would be very interested in obtaining his expanded thoughts, and others' responses, as to good practice drills (on or off court) to use to help the kids practice their technique. They have 4 courts and a practice wall (not that a good of one but somewhat functional) for the program (courts are right next to the public housing project).

2. One of the biggest problems we face is getting the kids to buy into the importance of good technique. They have some success at first just poking at the ball and want to stick with it esp. in matches. I have some great thoughts from Don (as well as my prior experience from learning from Welby Van Horn and others) about technique but getting kids to buy into the importance of learning it has been really hard. Most of these kids come from single parent homes living in public housing with no tennis background in the family so there is not usually a parent to talk to about the importance of long term development (I know that parents can be a real problem to but at least some parents will "get it" and then encourage their kids to not take shortcuts and learn the right technique). Great kids, good camaraderie among them and great director of the program but the technique thing is holding them most of them (a few exceptions mostly from families with the more stable families). Any thoughts on getting them to buy into wanting to really work on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by EdWeiss; 07-23-2011, 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo

I salute you, Sir.

Ed...what a wonderful way to make use of your time. What great questions too. You are an inspiration, my friend...I am inspired by you...and I hope that all of our readers take heed of what you are doing. This is the sort of thing that I was more or less suggesting to llll in the "Reality" thread. You can make a difference. America is going to need a lot of Great Americans like yourself...and bottle (he's antiwar), if we are going to get back on our feet and back in the driver's seat. Activist's...people who understand that it isn't all about "me" all of the time. Just a couple of questions first...before I get started.

How many kids are we talking about?

Can you briefly give me a general idea what are the socioeconomic conditions of the area? Ethnic mix?

Are you alone in this endeavor?

What are the ages of these kids?

Just a bit more information so that I can sort things out a bit. I have a feeling that this is more than just a tennis lesson. It sounds as if this is about love for your fellow man...love thy neighborhood. It makes a lot of sense too. Why is everyone so hyped up about what is happening at all points on the globe? Let's take care of our immediate surroundings first. Boy...if you change enough of these little pictures, pretty soon you find that you've changed the big picture. There certainly are not enough of these stories in the news these days and my question is...why not? I would really love to be able to help you and your kids out...with some ideas.
    Last edited by don_budge; 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Program has been around for about 16 years. City of Norwalk in Connecticut - Norwalk Grassroots is the name (site: http://norwalkgrassrootstennis.com/ provides more details). Program has a several hundred kids participate at some level but core group of 50 where tennis is a really big part of their lives. Kids mostly African Americans and Hispanic. Kids range from 6-18 (give or take). Wonderful director who works with the kids but spread very thin. The older kids in the program help out in the coaching and there are also volunteer coaches. Norwalk is pretty diverse community. Most of the kids in the program are from two public housing projects. Hope that helps.
      Last edited by EdWeiss; 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Exactly what I needed...I'm thinking.

Thanks for that...precisely what I needed. I'm painting...I'm processing...I'm thinking...about you and your program. My regard for you and what you are doing grows. To have a chance to write to you about these things...is inspiring. I hope that I don't go too far here...get too personal. Oh what the hell...I admit it. I care.

Tennis has truly been an inspiration in my life...and now that I am getting older and I have a sense of where the finish line is...sometimes it feels like it is all collapsing in on me, with the density of a black hole. But in a good way...it makes me ecstatic sometimes...like now. I want to share.

I'll be back.
        don_budge

Comment

EdWeiss...What is the key to any organization? or How do you eat an elephant?

EdWeiss...

1. How to motivate the program’s population to buy into the importance of technique.

2. Provide technique practice drills.

I have reduced your questions to their lowest terms (LCD-lowest common denominator) as I understand them and I have reversed their order. I reorganized. I begin...at the beginning.

First of all, let me preface my comments with some observations and first off, I want you to know that I think that you are sitting on a gold mine. You have a captive audience...their options are limited and you have an adequate facility. You already have positive results and are even at a point where the tree is producing fruit...players who are becoming leaders in the program. You have a bunch of things going for you. This would be a situation that I would dream of landing into...if I could be the head of the organization. A benevolent Prince Machiavelli. I would kill 'em all...with kindness, with love. Excellent. Wonderful! What a beautiful thing!

A little story...

Some years ago...back in the days of the Model T, I had a job with one of the “Big Three” in Detroit. I clawed my way to the top of my department and became the supervisor of a quality control testing laboratory. I was swimming against the tide, against the current...a tsunami of dysfunction hundreds of years old. The department consisted of one supervisor, thirty-two disgruntled salary union employees, expensive sensitive testing equipment, tediously complex information networks and an operation that worked seven days a week and twenty four hours a day...24/7...all year round. Even on Holidays!

Overall the situation was a real recipe for disaster...or at least it resembled the basis of a really screwy TV sitcom. My colleagues were not overly happy for my success. They tried to make it miserable for me...on account of their own dysfunctions. Basically, it was me against them...I was spread pretty thin. Oh well, joke 'em if they can't take a f---! I proceeded to reorganize. A little at a time. They wanted to waste my time with pettiness. But I clung to my rock...and I was as patient...as a rock. Kept my sights on the goal. Not that I didn't blow a couple of gaskets in the process.

But I won in the end. Game, set and match. I am from the school of hard knocks. Life's going to be a tough five setter. That's if you are lucky. You may as well get used to the idea. It's no picnic...no bed of roses. The end result...an organized department, right down to the last infinitesimal detail. At least that was my goal. I tried. The old college try. One for the Gipper... and all of that. The only true revenge in life...is success! I walked out of hell...with my head held high and my soul untouched. Ferdinand Celine is my witness...he wrote about this place in "Journey to the End of the Night". It was just a brief stop for him in the 1920's. I spent twenty some years there. But I am no worse for wear. I survived. If it doesn't kill you it just makes you stronger. You know the drill. It's survival...technique.

As supervisor I would often get the chance to interview people for an opening in our department. My interview technique was to ask some general questions to get an idea about the person inside the person that was presenting itself to me...the prospective employee. People are one of the most important ingredients of an organization. The game is to get the square pegs in the square holes and the round ones in the round holes. No easy task...people tend to lie to you. Many don't want to fit in. They think they are getting a bum deal. They revel in the chaos they create when they cause a disturbance. At least they distort the facts. To cast themselves in a better light, as it is. Supervising people can be a real juggling act...God forbid you should drop one of them.

I believe that at the end of the interview I asked the interviewee, the new potential little darling of an employee a very telling question. I would ask them, “What is the key to any organization?” and then I would explain that any organization may be a QC testing lab, a family, a church, a country, a town, the world, the universe...well even a tennis program, you get the idea. The prospective employees would come up with all kinds of good answers...none of them were wrong, from my point of view, but not one person ever came up with the answer that I was looking for. I was looking for an organization person. I was looking for someone to say...the key to any organization is it’s organization. Here's my point...an organization is only as good as it's organization.

Organization is almost like a living entity...a living thing. It never ends and it will never stop growing if you nurture it, there is always room for improvement, there is always undeveloped potential...if you approach it philosophically from a "continuous improvement" point of view. Strive to get a little bit better every day. Little improvements on a consistent basis add up over time. With dramatic results. How do you transform a dysfunctional department? How do you transform a tennis program to conscientious technique oriented training? How do you eat an elephant? Answer...one bite at a time.

So when I asked you for a little more information...you gave me an amazing view of your organization via the website and your input, and what is more you gave me the feeling, the genuine belief in myself, that same "quiet confidence" that I was talking about in "Interesting Serve Video" thread...that I can help your organization...at least I can give you some ideas...I can give it a try. I hope that you don't feel I have digressed. There is a point...to the little story I just told you.

I am very grateful for this opportunity. To be continued...
          Last edited by don_budge; 07-24-2011, 02:18 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
          don_budge

Comment

Thankd

Thanks so much and look forward to your continued thoughts!

Comment

The Path of the Ball...Shot Theory

1. How to motivate the program's population to buy into the importance of technique.

Ball #1...

Every shot leaves a path. Every ball that you move with your racquet leaves a path...but you cannot see the path. Unless you know how.

With a new group of students...it’s always the same thing. Shot theory. A simple lesson. But one that will hopefully give them an idea about the “path” in front of them...the one they are about to embark upon.

I stand before them with three balls in my hand and a target on the other side of the net. I explain that every ball leaves an imaginary path through the air from the point where you hit it to it’s destination...hopefully at the target. The path of the ball is 365 balls lined up consecutively...one after the other. I show them the racquet and I explain that the only way to control the ball is to swing the racquet head through the path of the ball. Holding the three balls out in front of me and aiming them at the target, I tell them to imagine another 362 balls after the three that I am holding...making a path to the target. I am going to attempt to pass my racquet face through all 365...I say.

The first shot I hit is two meters over the net. “Did you see the path of the ball?”, I ask them. OK...here is another shot, a higher shot...so I hit a ball about four meters over the net at the same target. I look at them and go...hmmm. Now watch this...I hit one low and hard, at the target. Three balls...three completely different results. Three different paths of the ball...to the same destination. The only way to approach the target with any kind of accuracy and hitting three completely different shots is by using a very specific technique...I tell them.

Life is a shot. We all get a shot at it. How do we get control over that path? We follow through...instead of a racquet, it is the self. Each day at a time...we follow through at the target. Staying the course. Steady as she goes. The 365 balls is a symbol...representative of what one can accomplish in a year, if one takes dead aim and follows through.

Tennis is different...I tell them. It is a science and it must be approached accordingly. The science is in the manner the racquet meets the ball in order for the player to get control of his shots.

Five minutes into the lesson and they begin to understand the concept of a shot and the game. From beginning to end. All points in between. Controlled by the racquet head passing through the path of the ball. It’s the first ball in their shot at being a tennis player. Perhaps the first ball in their shot at getting some control over their lives.

An interesting aspect of your program is that these kids are "disadvantaged" which in some sort of ironic way can be an advantage to selling them onto the road to the need for technique. I give kids a lot of credit in the first place...many times they are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. If you come from a disadvantaged background you already begin to know the score, the odds are stacked against you...chances are you've already been knocked around a bit. The younger ones are not so helpless as kids with "normal" means...they are forced to get wise quicker. The older ones have seen futility in some of the other activities available to them in the hood. They are looking for some order in their lives instinctively...something that they can control. In essence that is what you are attempting to give them. The ability to control their own destiny...their own path. If you can get through to them on this level...they will cling to their lessons. These kids know what it is like to be hungry. They want rewards. Something to feel accomplished in. Emphasize to them...tennis is a tremendously challenging activity...if you can master this game, you can do anything you set your mind to. And it all starts with control. Which is accomplished with proper technique. Which is accomplished with dedication, desire and determination. Post these three words somewhere in their vision. The three d's. Talk this up a bit...I am sure they will understand. They will get it. The path of the ball. The path of life. Control of your shot. Control of your life. Technique buys you control in your tennis and your life.

All of this you have already done. I see signs of nice strokes in the pictures in the web page. I see evidence such as your older kids participating as trainers. Just great. I am almost speechless.

Next? Ball number two...the wall.
              Last edited by don_budge; 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
              don_budge

Comment

Jean Hoxie

Off the Wall

From various sources:

Jean Maddern Pitrone's biography, JEAN HOXIE: THE ROBIN HOOD OF TENNIS, captures the energy, personality and fanaticism of a primal force in tennis. Jean Hoxie, brought up on a Michigan farm, re-invented herself as a tennis teaching terror. Finding kids who were dynamic and graceful in Hamtramck, Michigan, and elsewhere, she turned her "Hoxie's Kids" into champions at both the local and national level.

Pitrone captures Hoxie's intensity as the coach excites the community and some very rich financial backers to pay attention to tennis thriving at Veterans Park in Hamtramck, a mostly Polish, working class community. Long rides in station wagons and hours hitting tennis balls against "The Wall" await the converts to her system, and Hoxie herself is tireless in her efforts to make champions.

In reading the life of Jean Hoxie, the reader will sense her desire for winning, and the desire she instilled in her students. "If you can beat them in tennis, you can beat them in everything, Jean repeatedly told her players. By "them," she was referring to the elite and to the top contestants vying for honors at national tournaments. Her Hamtramck teams won 16 state titles in 17 years from 1949 to 1965.

Jean Hoxies' contribution has been summarized as: "If asked to name the dominating force in Michigan tennis history, any person even remotely aware of our sport would undoubtedly arrive at the name of Jean and Jerry Hoxie. Indeed, the list of state and national junior champions produced from that most unlikely location, Hamtramck, is a testament to the true greatness of what these two astonishing people achieved." Hamtramck tennis was of such import that it has been treated in works of fiction.

End

Robin Hood and his gang of merry boys and girls. How can you incorporate this image into your program? How can you inject this attitude into the program? Talk about motivation. Take from the rich...give to the poor. Or as Jean Hoxie put it...if you can beat them at tennis you can beat them at anything. Shouldn't be too difficult. The message...you can do it! You can do anything you set your mind to. If you can learn to play tennis...you can learn anything! This organization had a primal force behind it...perhaps compensating for other more material resources. A belief in the system with a enthusiastic team spirit can forge a tennis program to produce winners...both on the court and off the court. Philosophy...is an important aspect of an organization if you can get the members to buy into it. Create a synergistic effect.

Resurrect your wall...clean it up. The surface too. Clean bounces are fundamental. Make it your monument. Give it a name. The wall that EdWeiss built or Hamtramck...for instance.
                Last edited by don_budge; 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM.
                don_budge

Comment

The Wall...forging tennis strokes with concentration of Steel.

1. How to motivate the program's population to buy into the importance of technique.

Ball #2...

The wall is a tool. How do you motivate kids to use it?

After the little demonstration about ball theory, I give the kids a brief instruction on forehand technique. Ready position..."you are a mean little cat, and this is the mouse." I wave the little orange and yellow "mouse" in front of them. I get down into a crouch...make a mean face, I snarl, I make a cat like noise. A large predatory, mean, wild cat. No time to be shy. You have got to grab their attention...to say nothing of their minds and hearts. They get a kick out of the old guy pretending to be a cat...little do they know.

Next it's a little instruction. Unit turn with wrist in position on the command "turn"...then feet in place on the command "step" and finally swing on the command "sving" (in Swedish). Rudimentary stuff. At each command, they hold their position as I go around and manually set them up, stance, feet, racquet...into perfect position. I toss each of them ten balls or so...let them get the feel of hitting the ball. Turn, step and sving...repeating over and over. They watch each other's initial efforts. They are in it together, now.

And then it is my turn again. I take a ball...line the four or five kids up to my side of me as I face the wall. It's time for a little demonstration, I tell them. I start slowly, explaining as I hit, each command...this is how you do it, every time in the same way. Turn, step and sving. The same way. The same way. The same way. Repetition. Over and over. Get used to it. It's not boring. It's relaxing...and fun too! Technique is the science of repeating the same motion over and over until it is second nature. I'm explaining as I hit...never missing...explaining each command. They're getting itchy...to hit the ball. I make them wait a bit, I am not done. There is a target on the wall that I hit at...barely missing, sometimes hitting. I stop talking. I pick up the pace. Now it's full machine for twenty or thirty balls. Grim determination...intense concentration...no missing. Not a word...just the picture of the machine. What's left of it. They're impressed...they want to hit the ball.

So we go back to feeding some balls...a little more explanation. One more demonstration. Then we play a game. Then they make their first attempt at hitting against the wall. Sometimes you get a glimpse of something that resembles determination. It's ball #2 in the path of their tennis education. And I tell them that. I spell it out...ball #2 in the path. Follow through. The path of the ball. The path of life. Learning through the associative law.

That's it...you can do it. I repeat to each and every one of them. No kid left behind. Not on my watch. That's my goal...anyways.

The hour is over.

To be continued...
                  Last edited by don_budge; 07-25-2011, 02:39 AM.
                  don_budge

Comment

your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Look forward to more!!

Comment

Keys to success...practice and preparation!

2. Provide technique practice drills.

Balls 3-365...time to go to work.

Using the wall and some practice thoughts.

The wall is a tool and the more thought and preparation that you put into how you use it the better you can make it work for you. This is much like anything else you do in life if you want to be successful. Here are some ideas to begin with and the more creative the students can be with their practice time the more interesting it becomes.

A special emphasis to work on when practicing against the wall is position. Racquet position in the backswing, placement of the feet and body...and trying to hit from the semi sitting position. This is no lackadaisical activity as it should be an intense drilling into the student on the importance of executing the same motion time after time and this begins with perfect “get in position” position. You cannot over emphasize the importance of preparation in the potential of any given tennis shot. If you don’t begin your swing in a good position what are the chances of a successful tennis shot? Whatever they are they will of been compromised with less than perfect position.

This is where many of the professional players tend to separate themselves from the rest of the herd. The ability to get in position. Take the top four for example...at first you might think that it is their ability to hit harder and more accurate that is the thing that separates them from the rest, but you must also take into account that in order to do this you must have superior position. Preparation, preparation, preparation. The three most important rules for making superior tennis shots on a consistent basis.

Practicing against the wall...always with superior preparation in mind. Use your imagination.

1. Hit as many in a row, one bounce and waist high, as you can. When you get to 100 in a row on the forehand and the backhand side begin to vary the practice.
                      2. Hit alternate forehand and backhands...100 in a row to begin with.
                      3. Hit at two targets. One a meter over the net and the other two meters over the net. 100 in a row minimum.
                      4. Alternate between the two targets at various speeds and spins. For instance, aim at the lower target with a flatter ball and the higher with more topspin.
                      5. Vary your spin on every ball. Use under spin then over spin. Both sides.

These are just a couple of ideas and there are an infinite number of variations that you can practice...there is a similar number of possibilities that may occur during the course of any given tennis match. It is a good thing to try and practice being prepared for any and all eventualities. Life is much the same way. It’s still about the path. Practice not missing.

Practicing on the court...two tennis partners and four tennis balls. Use your imagination.

Baseline practice...side to side

1. With all four balls in the two partners immediate disposal begin with four rallies down the middle. When all four balls have been used, switch to the deuce court and practice cross court rallies using the four balls until you have missed all four. Switch to the advantage court. Practice not missing. Practice with different tempos. Practice with different spin. Practice hitting your forehand from the backhand side of the court. Cooperate with one another...for instance, one hits underspin and the other hits topspin. Practice hitting the ball three meters over the net off of very fast drives from your opponent. Learn to work together for the betterment of both parties. This is the key to all good deals made in life. Practice not missing.

All court practice...moving forward and backward

2. Practice going forward and backward. To begin with one partner remains on the baseline and they must practice not missing and hit pretty much down the middle as the other partner will be advancing and retreating to the net over and over. Starting with both players on the baseline, begin a rally. The designated forward and backward partner hits an approach shot on the very first ball to them and they advance towards the net. The baseline partner continues to rally down the middle for the duration. After the approach shot this partner advances into the court towards the net and the second ball they will play will be either a half volley or volley. They continue to advance to hit a volley, if they are not right on top of the net they continue and hit another volley. Once they have reached the net they begin to retreat and perhaps on the way back they will hit another volley or a half volley until they reach the baseline where they immediately begin to advance again. This drill should be done at full machine and the advancing and retreating partner should be able to get to the net and retreat to the baseline by hitting seven balls maximum. Six is perfect execution and speed. The partners start with the four balls and after every miss the next ball should be put into play immediately. Practice not missing.

This drill is aerobic tennis so be aggressive. When moving forward, move aggressively...don't let the ball bounce if possible. Moving backward is particularly good training in balance and using your weight while retreating. I made this up many years ago when tennis players were still keen on advancing to the net and I consider it my favorite way to practice in combination with the routine baseline rallying. Another variation may be that when the advancing player gets to the net the baseline player throws up a lob.

3. Practice with one partner at the net and the second in "no man's land", a meter behind the service line. The net player should aim at the others feet and the other should try to get in as good position as possible on these difficult and awkward shots. Practice not missing.

Whenever one is practicing tennis, special emphasis should always be paid to the preparation. The position of the racquet, the feet and body and hitting from a semi sitting position is paramount to the success of any given tennis shot.

Wait...did I already say that? Want to hit a good tennis shot? Practice and get your butt in position. Want to be an excellent teacher, an excellent doctor, an excellent dentist, an excellent lawyer, and excellent artist or even an excellent tennis instructor? Practice and get your butt in position.

Preparation and practice is the key...in tennis and in life. Not that a little good luck won't go a long way. Interestingly enough, you will find that the harder you work, the luckier you get.

The only thing that this old world truly understands...is hard work.

On a crappy day for golf, it was windy, drizzling and chilly...one day long ago, young Tiger Woods stood alone on the driving range tee of some unknown golf course pounding monstrous drives and he paused and thought to himself, "Nobody is going to outwork me! I hope my competition is home, warm and comfortable, watching TV and playing computer games." He wore a hardened, resolute look on his face as he confidently strode to the putting green to resume practicing the delicate art of scoring, it was tedious work, chipping and putting...in the in-climate, shitty weather. He was hungry, tired and cold. He was, however, on a mission.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 07-28-2011, 07:20 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                      don_budge

Comment

To the Norfolk Grassroots Tennis Wolfpack...

I would like to make a few comments to your organization, Ed. First of all, I want to thank you for the opportunity to talk a bit about tennis and organization. It has been a lot of fun and as you have probably guessed...I love tennis. Many of my most cherished memories are somehow a result of my involvement with the game of tennis. If one is an excellent tennis player, you can go to any tennis club in the world and automatically be virtually guaranteed a special status in any community. Even if one knows how to play a nice game of relatively competitive tennis or even a good social game you can be sure that if you have your tennis racquet with you, you will most likely meet some very nice people. The social aspects aside...the exercise alone is worth the effort to play tennis to the best of your ability.

On the subject of being disadvantaged, I would like to say that this is a relative term. There are, of course, places in the world that one would think are at a definite disadvantage yet they are producing fine tennis programs. You must be thankful for every opportunity in life and make the best of them. No matter if you are born to play the King or pawn...for the line is thinly drawn between joy and sorrow (Simon and Garfunkel). Learn to smile when the chips are down and believe in your heart that you can raise yourself to any and all challenges, no matter what the odds. You can't possibly win all the time...but you certainly can learn to give it your best shot every time. In the end, this is all you can do...and this in itself is the object of the game. Learn to never give up.

I tried to discuss a bit about your organization and compared it with an experience of mine. Organizations are complex things and there is always room for improvement. People are a huge factor and if you can get the square ones in the square holes and the round ones in the round holes you have half of the battle won. I am genuinely impressed with your hierarchy of sponsors, trainers, apprentices and students. Perhaps one thing that is missing from many organizations is the inspirational leader...such as a Jean Hoxie. I think that you should be able to borrow some of the Hoxie program and incorporate it into your program.

This concept of the wolfpack could be a rallying point for your group. A potential nickname...something that the group can draw strength from. The strength of the Wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the Wolf. The Hoxie group definitely had this mentality and as a group it made them stronger on an individual basis. This goes along the concept of synchronicity....where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, or something along those lines. Band together...set your program to revolve around a central theme. Strong serves with perfect motions...solid groundstrokes and the ability to retrieve, the ability to keep the ball in play one more time, the will to advance in the court, to the net, the will to advance in life, the attitude of never giving up until the last point has been played. Robin Hood and his band of merry...boys and girls. Tough and gritty competitors.

My personal roots are somewhat modest. When I was young I took more than my fair share of taunting and called my fair share of "nicknames". I can tell you it only made me stronger and tennis gave me a nice socially acceptable way to fight back...and I did. I learned to fight.

In some ways your organization has an advantage in being disadvantaged. This is the old Dale Carnegie method of adding sugar to lemons (sour fruits) to create lemonade...a sweet drink. The subjects options are fewer and if all of their energy can be channeled in one direction, one never knows and one should never underestimate the positive value of hard work and positive mental attitude. I like very much incorporating the educational aspect to go along with the tennis. Reading is such a valuable asset. By reading all of the great literature of the world, one can for all intents and purposes actually become very worldly...without ever leaving the comfort of your favorite reading chair. You can travel without ever leaving your home...by using your imagination and learning to dream. Afterall...dreaming is for free.

So thank you again, Ed. I really admire you and the efforts of your group. Truly, this is the kind of story that America needs to see on the front pages of the newspaper and on the news each and every single day. As a country, we need to have more of a wolfpack mentality and I wish that this were the venue to address some of the problems that we are experiencing...as a group. War is no good. But for now it is enough to firmly state that it is groups like this that band together in the face of adversity, in the face of obstacles, in the face of trying odds...groups like the Norfolk Wolfpack can change some of the little pictures...and if you change enough of the little pictures soon you will find you have changed the big picture.

Good Luck and God bless all of you.

don_budge

PS...if you should ever need me, you know where to find me. On the tennisplayer.net forum.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                        don_budge

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your insights and suggestions. They are terrific. We do actually have an inspirational leader who is a great role model and the kids love. But he has been spread too thin and spends much of his time dealing with the day to day problems that kids from this kind of background seem to experience (it might be as simple as trying to find a ride for a child since the child's family does not have a car to as complex as dealing with the emotional effects of a bad family situation or problems at school, etc.). I think your suggestions of having a nickname and themes/credos for the program are right on the mark. I do think our situation is a tougher lift than the situation with Jean Hoxie (not to diminish anything she and her husband did as what they achieved was monumental). The reason I say that is I would guess that the kids in her program were from working class families that were also stable with two parents who were actively involved in their kids lives while in our situation many of the families are truly poor (food stamps are relied on) and there is just one parent who herself may be dealing with her own struggles. But as an inspiration you can not beat the Hoxie story. Thanks again for your passion and insights.
                          Last edited by EdWeiss; 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM. Reason: correct typo

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8422 users online. 6 members and 8416 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X