Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Forever Mine"...McEnroe & Lendl

Johnny...johnny,

What a dandy you are...once again, you outdo even yourself. Just beautiful. I think what you have done with these two guys is brilliant. And you know me...I don't say it unless I mean it.

McEnroe and Lendl...two great adversaries, brought together to showcase their brilliance...to do their dance...together frozen in time, in video. Your favorite. Groundstrokes to "Walking on the Moon" by The Police, Serve points to "Time the Avenger" by The Pretenders, Serve to "Factory" by Blondie...and Return of Serve to "Forever Mine" by The Motels. That's some Tango!!! Be still my beating heart.

Poetry in motion...lovely, gorgeous tennis strokes by two icons, a lefty and a righty, two precisely polar opposites...set to some great music, melancholy tunes and sometimes haunting lyrics. It's all about love in the end, isn't it? The result...it's just beautiful. Stunning special effects. Appropriate for the venue and not over the top. Elegant taste. MTV...take note. You are an artist! Thank you...Sir! I mean it.

To my students...forever mine.

Forever Mine...The Motels

They say, before we met
    How perfect we would be
    There's no question, there's no answer
    My forever mine, my forever mine

Sweetly spoken lines
    Erase all those bad times
    How long I've longed
    For the longing to stop

Take me in your arms
    Whisper words like always
    Stay until you go
    Live forever, love forever

The memories are there
    To prove how real?
    Maybe just a place in time

Take me in your arms
    (Always, always)
    Stay until you go

Take me in your arms
    (Always, always)
    Stay until you go

Forever yours...

don_budge
    Last edited by don_budge; 07-26-2011, 01:50 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Glad you like it. I definitely have a weak spot for Martha Davis.

Comment

Super, super cool stuff!

Comment

Amazing! I just realized how long it has been since I saw passing shots...don't see 'em anymore, do you?
        Stotty

Comment

Flashback...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Amazing! I just realized how long it has been since I saw passing shots...don't see 'em anymore, do you?
          ...to say nothing of the volleys, service motions and most compelling...the one hand backhand return of serves. Exquisite! Take note...drichards and westcoast. This was a preview to the 1984 US Open final...if I am not mistaken.
          don_budge

Comment

And the French and Wimbledon...

Comment

Wimbledon 1984..."Forever Mine" J. Yandell music video featuring McEnroe and Lendl

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              This was a preview to the 1984 US Open final...if I am not mistaken.
              Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              And the French and Wimbledon...

The 1984 Wimbledon was actually a John McEnroe vs. Jimmy Connors matchup that McEnroe prevailed in three straight succinct sets...6-1, 6-1, 6-2. See Traditional Thoughts for the video of the drubbing with the accompanying story. Coming soon.

But the music video has a magic all of its own. Reposting it for the sake of its own merit and not necessarily to point out the 1984 matchup mistake. It simply is "Forever Mine" after all of the time that I have spent recently delving into the McEnroe game...the continental forehand and the continental backhand. It feels like a part of me...and I a part of it. Dreaming.

It's amazing that you chose that particular time to make these videos. 1984 being the Orwellian year and tennis being at the crossroads and all. Timing is everything isn't it...John? Being in the right place at the right time. Getting your ass in position. Some seem to have a knack for it. Be it tennis. Be it golf. Be it love and life. But that's not to say that we don't get caught out of position from time to time. Afterall...nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. But it is all about timing.

But Johnny and Ivan are nearly flawless. Well...here they are flawless. Even when Johnny is falling...he is falling less. It's in the script. The beauty of editing. The beauty of the edit function here on the forum. Here are a couple of great competitors and great performers together doing the dance. Dancing with Tennis Balls...the dance of life. Impeccable footwork. Watching McEnroe in his strokes...I can almost feel myself in his sneakers now. Being John McEnroe. A feather in my cap. It's no easy task. Not for the feint of heart. Not for the demur or the shy. It's a leap of faith...and well worth it. What genius.

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful piece of artistic expression from the Kingdom of Tennis...with the Kingdom of Tennis. The newcomers on the site should surely appreciate this and the rest. Even the veterans will enjoy this masterpiece again. Tennis players are creatures of repetition by habit and rarely get bored...always trying to exactly repeat what works for them one time the next time around.

Tennis is more art than science. Truly it is. Well...at least from my point of view. Why would you take all of the fun out of it? Engineering? I am a metaphysical engineer. You can talk about the physics all you want...metaphysically, whimsically...dreaming my way to the Wimbledon finals. Hard to believe that your video is almost thirty years old...but when you look at McEnroe and Lendl you can almost believe it. Then when you look in the mirror the truth really hits home. Sigh...the wink of a young lady's eye.

There's no question...there's no answer.
              Last edited by don_budge; 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM.
              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9532 users online. 9 members and 9523 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X