X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best tennis ball?

For hard courts:

Clay:

An awful lot is said about the game here, and nothing about the ball. It seems to me, if you like power, or control, or grinding vs. attacking, you have a preference based on which ones you have used. The first ball I used was a Slazenger, white, which came in 4 ball cans from England. The next ball was a Tretorn, pressureless, which had a metallic ping to it, from Sweden. The next ball was a purple/orange combo/us team tennis ball. (1968- onwards.)

About Tretorn
    Tretorn was established by Henry Dunker in Helsingborg, Sweden as a manufacturer
    of rubber-based products in 1891. Our heritage demonstrates a consistent commitment
    to quality and brand over hype.

Wilson, Dunlop, Penn, we have all used them. When you take a ball and place it at your forehead, drop it, it should bounce off hard court up to your belly button. The specs demand it, and they demand the rubber/pressure levels to be similar. Some brands wear down fast and become rockets, but this is due to the courts you hit on.

I have not found a ball that lasts more than an hour, nor a spin string.

Part of the disinterest is, both use the same ball, regardless of which player the ball favors, a fast ball or a fluffy slow ball with too much knap up. Players who love fast shots like a fast ball and grinders like a slow ball. The court affects this, as does the players style and string and frames and weather and altitude. Yet, no one cares about this very obvious subject. We only know what we like as individual players, and care nothing about obtaining that by buying the balls which favor our games? That's just strange.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM.

I like Dunlops. They maintain their pressure and bounce longer than Penns. Alot of amateurs like Penns because they fluff up and by the 2nd set become easier to control. I think Wilson's are somewhere in between the two. I think Prince makes a pretty good ball which performs alot like a Dunlop. Just my two cents.

Comment

Tennis ball characteristics

The characteristics of different brands of tennis balls I find to be an interesting topic. When I was a kid in the 60's I used to buy Tretorns because they lasted forever. (I noticed when the US Davis Cup team played in Bogota, Columbia recently that they used Tretorns due to the thin air.) They came in a carton type box and of course were pressureless. The felt cover would wear away, but the balls would still keep bouncing like normal. They were kind of heavy. I didn't particularly like them. My preference back then was the Wilson ball and I definitely didn't like the Penn because it was too lively. That meant the Penn was difficult to control especially because I had very flat strokes in those days. The Wilson didn't bounce as high and was definitely easier to control.

Nowdays, I've decided that I don't really like Dunlops. I bought a box of Dunlop Grand Prix for my ball machine and discovered that they are heavier than Penns or Wilsons. I discovered this when I would hit a ball late. I could feel it in my shoulder. Also the machine threw those balls out totally different. The cheapest Dunlop ball that most people buy in my opinion is also heavy and hits like a brick. It is void of feel. I would suggest that if you have an elbow or shoulder problem you would want to stay away from Dunlops. They may last longer than other balls, but if you want to save your arm they're really not for you. A lighter ball will be more suitable.

I am going to try out the extra duty Penn ATP ball this weekend. A 5.0 player I know in Sacramento told me he thought this was the best playing ball for hardcourt. I do know that Wilson's on hardcourt tend to fluff up quite quickly so they may not be the best option.

Anyways, those are a few of my thoughts on the characteristics of some brands of tennis balls.

Jim Bill

Comment

Inflation...

Of any item in the 1905 Sears sales catalogue tennis balls were the least affected by inflation...in 1905, when I was a kid and a fledgling tennis player, a can of three tennis balls cost one dollar and fifty cents. Today you can get a can for what...two dollars? What a deal!

Typically a can of four tennis balls costs around the equivalent of eight dollars here in Europe, about the same as a gallon of gasoline...whether they be Tretorn or Technifibre or Babolat or Wilson. I think that they tend to last longer and the really penny conscious keep their balls in a homemade vacuum container to preserve the bounce...assuming that the ball doesn't lose its nap first.
        Last edited by don_budge; 08-28-2011, 01:40 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8655 users online. 11 members and 8644 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X