Catching racket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching racket

I have heard from a number of sources that catching your racket about a foot away from going over your shoulder helps your forehand in a number of ways including extension, getting arm out of way, and hand/arm rotation. I honestly have no idea if this is beneficial or if any of this is true. Any help?

It seems to work for me when teaching lower level players and it worked for me as a young player. It guarantees extension and prevents the left side from clearing out too early or dramatically. I'm not sure that's a perfect explanation for why it works, but it seems to work, so I keep using it.

Comment

To wrap or not to wrap...whether it is better............

Originally posted by bman View Post
      It seems to work for me when teaching lower level players and it worked for me as a young player. It guarantees extension and prevents the left side from clearing out too early or dramatically. I'm not sure that's a perfect explanation for why it works, but it seems to work, so I keep using it.
      I am with you bman...

What a coincidence...just this week I suggested to my partner in our tiny little program here that we start teaching this very method. This used to be a very accepted form of technique on the forehand side. I think it has gradually disappeared from the tennis teaching landscape since the game emphasizes so much topspin. My partner was reluctant but not completely opposed...he is leaving the program this month and I will be not be consulting with others, except Tennisplayer.net of course, in the future.

For me it makes sense for a number of reasons...

1 I don't like the picture of little kids following through wildly around their necks and the wiper is out of the question at that age. I think it prevents them from wildly spinning out of their forehands. This promotes balance.

2 It begins to get the left hand and therefore the left side of the body involved with the motion of the swing. Kids should learn to be dexterous with their left side. It won't hurt when it comes time to learn the service toss.

3 It looks good and it seems to give a sense of control to their swing. Very early on I am emphasizing control as opposed to emphasizing power. Early on I am teaching my kids to hit the ball relatively flat without excessive spin and I think this method promotes this by controlling the follow through.

4 It promotes returning to ready position quickly and getting ready for the next shot.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

5. And if you have them catch the racket fairly high it teaches them to lift through the stroke.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8426 users online. 4 members and 8422 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X