Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you say --Game on!

Comment

I like it. But do I get don_budge (or Aaron Krickstein) as my partner? And can I play the ad side?

Say, don_budge, I do agree that WBC is a very intelligent man. I worry about his reputation, though, with an acronymic name like his, and his fondness for criticizing the stars. When Katharine Hepburn was my doubles partner I was very careful not to criticize-- hence we won.

Finally, is Bill (won't use the acronym more than once per post) an Anglophobe? He speaks of tommyenglish's "flowery" language, but if you observe the following clip fairly, you'll see that Tom is unbelievably terse and to the point.

Never contrast Charles Dickens and Henry James (an American anyway) with Ernest Hemingway from upper Michigan. All three were terse. Example: the Dickensian names "Martin Chuzzlewit" and "Uriah Heep."

As you know, I've been reading Daniel Coyle's appraisal of good coaches in THE TALENT CODE, and Kurt Leibrandt, former teaching pro here in Grosse Pointe, told me that the most important thing in tennis instruction may be knowing when to say nothing at all.

Nothing or little, then, may be the way to go. John Wooden, the English teacher, was known for his verbal brevity on a basketball court.

I wonder if Bill or I, with all of our opinions, ever could do that: Certainly we could try.

In a not unrelated subject, Jim Leyland in the Bronx opened his pre-game talk
      last night (delightedly) by describing a fax he received from a university professor, who advised that he start the deciding game between the Tigers and the Yankees with the Tigers closer, Jose Valverde, and finish in the later innings with the Tigers starter Justin Verlander (not Justin Timberlake). Needless to say, Leyland refused the advice and 3-2 (Detroit won!) was the score, a manager's gem.
      Last edited by bottle; 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

i agree

I agree. It is often better to say nothing at all, rather than say wrong stuff. An example now of a guy who talks a lot to seemingly try to impress everyone with his supposed great knowledge is the analyst Justin Gimelstob. (Justin seems like a nice guy, but he talks too much, with "big" language. It is especially irritating when he is incorrect with his analyses sometimes.)

I see in Justin myself at a younger age. During lessons, I used to try to share all my knowledge possible with my tennis students. Now, I share only what they most directly need, and nothing more.

I have been trying to be nice, and not so harsh. Sorry if I analyze pros' techniques sometimes. But pro technique is a common source for us all, to view here at tennisplayer.net, and on TV. In every pro match, I see a great deal of poor technique and poor court coverage, in my mind. If you think current pro play is greater than I think, then it is ok for us to disagree. I know that my opinion is in the minority, and your opinion is closer to the majority here.

I do not think I have attacked you personally, bottle. I do not want a war with you. I am sorry that you disagree with my evaluations and analyses. I stand by my views. If you disagree, that is fine.

John Wooden thought that the greatest coach was Morgan Wooten of DeMatha High School. The national high school basketball player of the year is given the Wooten trophy. Every high school player who ever played for Wooten -- even the bench warmers -- earned a college scholarship.

I just kinda think like Morgan Wooten thinks -- that inside practically everyone, there is potential greatness. When I teach, I am willing to take accountability. I will never say a student "doesn't have it." I do not say a student is "not a natural" or that a student is "not coordinated enough." I assume responsibility for my teaching. I am very structured in my teaching, also. If you disagree with my outlook or methods, that is ok.

I always look for ways to improve my understanding and instruction. I even listen to what parents and other laypersons say. And I might, for instance, be appalled at a coaching show on the tennis channel, but during those 30 minutes, I will usually find some tidbit from the coach that has some value. My outlook and teaching are not set in stone.

bottle, when you and I disagreed about whether Federer hits his slice out in front, I tried to understand your point of view. I realized what you were trying to say. I now understand what you mean by "out in front." You & I had a different understanding about what out in front means. You and I disagree about what a good slice backhand is. That is ok.

I am trying to be nice. Let's not go to war. Please drop the personal attacks on me. I have not attacked you personally, bottle. Sorry that I have strong views about educational analyses and methods, but I will try to be more diplomatic. Sorry that I was not diplomatic enough when I evaluated the teaching video by tpatennis Tom. And if you like his teaching, that is fine.

Comment

I like most of what I hear. I don't think you're minoritarian and I know I'm not majoritarian, however, and the computer just underlined both words, so I must be right.

Comment

My take on worldsbestcoach...aka Dr. Bill

I wrote this post immediately after bottle posted this below...I posted it but deleted it. I don’t like to generally post right on top of someone else’s post because it may draw attention away from what another poster might of posted. Maybe I am just a bit old fashioned...you know, tennis etiquette and all of that. This would of been post #63...but I’m glad that it is #65 now.

Originally posted by bottle View Post
            Say, don_budge, I do agree that WBC is a very intelligent man. I worry about his reputation, though, with an acronymic name like his, and his fondness for criticizing the stars. When Katharine Hepburn was my doubles partner I was very careful not to criticize-- hence we won.
            bottle...worldsbestcoach is an interesting guy...not unlike a lot of the characters that frequent our little neighborhood forum here at tennisplayer.net. I have never personally met him but we have exchanged a couple of emails. I hope that he will continue to post and I hope that he, like myself, and the rest of us will adapt to the environment. This I am sure of.

He has a tendency to be critical...is that an understatement, but much of what he says is absolutely true and everything he says he thoroughly believes in...and at the same time there are things that I heartily disagree with. From his posts, I believe that he is an astute tennis aficionado and a bona fide student of the game. From any communication that I have personally had with worldsbestcoach I get the impression that he is a very genuine guy and a humble guy...which makes him a bit enigmatic because of what he appears to be. I am a pretty good judge of character, I think.

That being said, when I read some of his posts I can understand why people perceive him as provocative...he’s not afraid in the least to criticize anybody, including the elite in the game, much like a certain John Escher who doesn’t seem to have a problem posting scathing critisim of the American government and the POTUS. This is what makes John a great American...the courage to speak the truth to power when the rest of the population seems to be muted for some bizarre reason. This kind of attitude has never bothered me and I suppose that is because...well, let's just say that I am not easily intimidated. I encourage it...I would egg it on, as a matter of fact. Why shy away from controversy? Are we mice or are we men? Provocative doesn't offend me like stupidity does. If he wants to call himself worldsbestcoach that is fine by me. What is not alright is that he post one hundred percent criticism without supplying the answers and the sound coaching fundamentals that he alludes to as the alternative...if he continues to do that I would say that he would make himself a very unpopular guy. He must back up the moniker that he has chosen for himself or he is subjecting himself to ridicule...which would be stupid. Enlighten us...worldsbestcoach, and share your experience with us.

I don't think that being unpopular would necessarily bother worldsbestcoach, so he may continue to be hypercritical of tennis coaching and modern technique but I don't think so...but if he does it’s certainly alright by me. He is within his rights...and there is plenty to criticize. His last posts seem to have a different tone...and I sense that he has had some sort of personal epiphany about reaching the readership here at the forum. He is a unique individual, a very intelligent and perceptive man and he like all of us has room for improvement which in my book is the equivalent of potential. He doesn't want to offend so much, as he wants to shake things up. Who can blame him considering the present state of American tennis?

I foresee that worldsbestcoach will start to view his contributions here at the forum as an experiment as to just how well his views on tennis technique, tactic and the tennis world at large can be potentially received by the tennis public. He feels that the current product that is being sold is wanting in substance and he is not the first to say so. Bill Tilden is very critical of the tennis coaching in his day and the nature of the game and its coaching leaves itself open for substantial criticism. My hope and belief is that he will take the attitude that he will present his theories in a meaningful and helpful manner and be a little more sensitive to his audience...and his own image, as you suggest, for that matter. I highly recommend that everyone lighten up a bit and give the man a chance. My advice to him is to put his best foot forward, which will definitely prevent it from finding it's way to his mouth, and let the chips fall where they may.

I love referring to the forum people by the names that they have chosen for themselves here. Each person has some motivation for taking the name that they have chosen. It’s an alter ego...I know it has become part of my own personal identity...as an alter ego. don_budge?...who would be so bold to take the name of such an American icon? I have to admit that I took it as a sign on name without ever knowing that I would be using it on the forum here. You can see that I have been a member since 12-31-2009 but my first posts are in 2011 so there’s proof that I never intended to use it in a public place as a means of promoting myself, my ideas or my writing.

I must admit that I am glad that I chose to use the name originally in the form that I did...lower case letters with the underscore separating the first and last names. I found the tennisplayer.net website doing a google search for the “Don Budge backhand” so that I could show Gustaf the backhand of the man I once worked for and developed a profound and deep sense of personal respect for...as a man and not just a tennis player. The man who for many years reputedly possessed the “greatest shot ever in tennis”. Now in my own sheepish way...I smile at the name that I chose for myself, because of the circumstances and because it invokes the memory of someone, and some other people as a matter of fact, who had a wonderful influence on my life. Those were the days of yesteryore...The Don Budge Tennis Camp. 1972-1973.
            Last edited by don_budge; 10-09-2011, 12:36 AM.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Katharine Hepburn was a very strong tennis, golf and parchesi player, so I should just forget my little joke that I was careful not to criticize her. In fact, she was careful not to criticize me and only applauded me, which caused me to hit some sharp angles, hence we won.

Comment

Lefty in ad court...conventional wisdom.

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                I like it. But do I get don_budge (or Aaron Krickstein) as my partner? And can I play the ad side?
                The problem with you on the ad side is that gsheiner and the conspiracy theorist are going to pick on my little slice backhand with their slice serves on the deuce side and with you over there with the Fedefore, or whatever the flavor of the day is, we stand a fighting chance of breaking serve. Especially if we win the first point on their serve, because on the second...well, you know. That being said...everything is on the table, as this administration likes to say when contemplating their "shock and awe" strategies.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who is a Good Teacher?

I do think that Tom Allsopp is a wonderful teacher, even on the internet. In his "no nonsense" videos on kick serve and backhand slice, he gave me stuff that I personally could use to improve those two shots. In the slice video, for instance, he speaks about the wrist's limit but how best to use that limited range of motion-- something that immediately sets him apart from everybody else. Tilden spoke provocatively about wrist in backhand slice but after him I don't remember many others. And I'm open to more illumination on this point from anyone, anywhere, any time.

Another thing about Tom is the topspin backhand he appears to have taught Emira Stafford. I've only seen it on video, but once I saw it, I had to steal it.
                  And I did! And it's better than any other one hander I've ever had-- quite a few to tell the truth.

So that's where I started to get out of joint. Nobody likes to hear seemingly arbitrary criticisms of their favorite teachers. Of course I realize that I'm exceptionally lucky in that I think I've had seven or eight good teachers in my life. Most people say they only had one or two, if that.

Here's where the most substantial agreement arose between Bill and me. About teaching method. He cited a number-based study that continues to sound disgusting to me. But he says, repeatedly, it's okay to disagree.

A definitive statement on numbers occurs in THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Adults are seen to be all about numbers, and that's what is
                  the matter with them.

Teaching is more about theater than numbers, in my personal view. Because if the teacher can't hold the student's attention, nothing can possibly happen, ever.

Well, it's an interesting topic. And one of Tom Allsopp's virtues is that he can hold interest by being brief. He can say just a few things in a low key way and you think, "Wow-- so simple." But then you look a bit harder and you see the wrist moving in a certain way-- who knows what you were carrying around in your brain.

From being at the front of many classrooms, I know you can't be too predictable if you truly want to capture attention. There's simplicity and complexity involved and other opposites, too. Anyway, numbers suck as does "No child left behind" with even the most rabid Tea Party teachers coming to that conclusion by now. Other numerical studies in education suck, too, and teachers are usually not good or bad but somewhere in between.

Politicians need to stop giving themselves erections by making like Donald Trump and firing as many teachers as they can as soon as they can-- and probably the best ones. If they want to contribute to American society for the first time in their wretched lives, they can leave education to those who know something about it. But here is something that they can do, maybe the one actual thing. Reduce class size, starting in Detroit.

Beyond that, we have to restore subjectivity to American education which includes coaching in sport. There are certain people to whom others will listen, even if a thousand professors of education can't explain why. Others, who might look good on paper, are atrocious and turn everyone off. "How do you spell 'principal' ? The principal is your pal." YECCCHHH!

WBC brought up the topic of Justin Gimmelstob, about whom I have an opinion based at least partially on meeting him at U.S.-- India Davis Cup where Eugene Scott, for some reason, thought introducing us to one another would be a good idea. As we shook hands, I couldn't forget Gimmelstob complaining (before he was a well known commentator and still was a struggling if not too bad journeyman on the Tour) about the huge range of Pete Sampras' upper arm axle-like rotation during a serve. There was still some pain apparent in Gimmelstob's eyes-- pain that he too wasn't born with all that flexibility. My ideas about "rotorded serving" may have started right then.

Another thing this meeting demonstrated was that Eugene Scott, the tremendously influential editor of Tennis Weekly, was grooming Justin Gimmelstob for a special role in tennis. I speculate that Scott, number one seniors player in the world, was looking for more intelligence in tennis discourse generally.

Nobody can argue successfully that we haven't made every effort possible to become a dumbed down nation. Just look at the new TV ads for Audis, in which ignorance of Vermeers and Honus Wagner is celebrated. This trend damages tennis, too. Tennis, besides being half chess, is all about delicate arcs and subtle distinctions.

Anyway, I would cut more slack for Gimmelstob, among us others. He does have a huge amount of time to fill on Tennis Channel and elsewhere. He has to be ready to hold forth at a moment's notice, and it's not like teaching an effective tennis lesson. He was promoted as a talking head and that's what he is, and a nice contrast to Brad Gilbert, say. I just compare him to a tennis book. I'll read twenty pages to get to the twenty-first. I'll listen to twenty things Justin says to get to the twenty-first, and I just hope it's about wrist role if not wrist roll in backhand slice.
                  Last edited by bottle; 10-09-2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

About Planned Match (#'s 60, 61, 62, 67)

Congratulations don_budge for being the first person courageous enough to use my neologism "Federfore" in tennis discourse. American tennis players, self-conscious and left brain, prefer de-chunked experience over the other kind, a terrible liability in a fast sport. They prefer to say wordier things like "an imitation Roger Federer forehand" or "This guy is so full of himself that he tries to hit the ball like Roger Federer, which everybody knows is impossible. He's trying, stupidly, to use straight arm structure. Double-bend forever, Sig Heil!"

I'm very glad that I said I preferred the ad side in our planned doubles match. If I hadn't said that, you wouldn't have said what you did, so I tricked you.

Actually, for my first return which will be the second shot of our match, I will return Aaron Krickstein's serve with a double-bend Ziegenfuss, which is a spring don't swing forehand in which normal body-arm sequence is reversed.

If that forehand isn't working, I will then go with my Ferrerfore, which is an imitation David Ferrer forehand. If that doesn't work, it'll be a Federfore, and failing that, normal service returns.

By the way, A NEW YEAR'S SERVE should go up at Kindle, Amazon today, Sunday, since the cover, re-formatted as a TIFF file, came back from a computer expert last night. For the first book, THE LAST WORDS OF RICHARD HOLBROOKE, Hope was able somehow to trick the Amazonian conversion machine and thus get Holbrooke's photo up. But she didn't take notes and forgot how she did it. So we'll probably send the third cover, for my novel THE PURSE MAKER'S CLASP, to Mark Swidler, the Detroit computer expert also. Amazon wants to know if I'm writing a series, so I call all three books "The Sport, Fiction and Insane War Trilogy."

Thanks for your original suggestion that I self-publish. Self-publication is what we do here every day, and it no longer carries the stigma that the person doing it is a goose even when that's true.

A NEW YEAR'S SERVE: PERSONALIZED TENNIS STROKE DESIGN is not just a rehash of my posts here and at tpatennis.net . Your copy should arrive soon. Just click on the blue ink, and if you have any trouble opening that attachment, let me know.

Best,
                    Bottle
                    Last edited by bottle; 10-09-2011, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8029 users online. 3 members and 8026 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X