Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Questions

John,

I have two questions for you. The first has to do with my forehand grip. I hold a mild semi-western forehand grip. My heel pad is on bevel three and the base knuckle of my index finger is just on bevel four, but not centered. The reference point I use with my forehand grip is not the base knuckle, but the middle knuckle of my index finger (half-way up my finger). Do you understand what I mean? I like to put this knuckle on bevel four because when I do that I feel I can get really good hand/arm rotation on my shots by applying pressure on this knuckle. Have you heard of such a thing? Do you think it's a good idea?

My second questions deals with the non-dominant hand on the one-handed backhand. Can you explain what it's role is? Sometimes, I feel like I'm taking my off hand off the racquet too soon on my backhand, but keeping it on for as long as I see the pros do seems unnatural. Could you please explain the role of the off hand on the one handed backhand and discuss exactly how long should it be on the racquet during the swing?

Thanks for your time!

Lukman,

No idea on the knuckle pressure. Doubt very much you want uneven pressure from the fingers. Hold the racket so loosely that it flies out of your hand--and then just tight enough to keep that from happening.

On the opposite arm. It should stay on the racket and separate and start to go back when the front arm goes forward. Go look at the first Federer backhand center, think it's a side view. That shows it all. Some players--most players--can't oppose the arms as much as the pros, ie move that back arm back. That's OK. But unless it moves back, you'll open your torso too much and overrotate--you'll see this happen in the July Your Strokes.

John

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7854 users online. 4 members and 7850 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X