• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gut in mains-a bit related thread

regards,
    Julian

julian mielniczuk uspta certified pro juliantennis@comcast.net Ph.D
    www.julianmielniczuk.usptapro.com Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,MA
    Last edited by julian1; 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Another thing I'm going to try is wax candle, or a crayon, used on the cross junctions only, on a rough string, like ashaway kevlar. The silicone spray, or the teflon wax spray, just is too much lube.

Comment

Wow 10 years since the last reply on this thread! I am now beginning my journey with strings in earnest. Purchased my own stringing machine a while back and have 4 Wilson Pro Staff 97 v13s.

I’ve been playing tennis since about 2005 but haven’t kept track of what strings were used in my rackets until the last few years. The stringer I used for about a year up until I got my machine used Signum Pro-Poly Plasma Orange due to its low cost but good characteristics. I tried it at tensions between 55-58 lbs and found it to be a good string. But of course how strings behave and feel are relative to one’s experience with other strings. This is what I seek to do.

The first testing I’ve done is with a full bed of Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough 16L on one racket and Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 17G on another racket, both at 57 lbs. My initial thoughts, first off with regard to stringing, the Luxilon was very challenging to string due to its stiffness and roughness…basically felt like working with barbed wire. The Tourna was actually quite smooth, the roughness was very subtle and therefore easier to string with. In terms of playability, it did feel like the Luxilon bit into the ball more and gave me more spin. But once I lost some tension, it felt quite uncomfortable to hit with, almost like I was using an aluminum panel (ironically I believe this string is made with aluminum). The Tourna didn’t take quite as much bite it seemed but was more comfortable to play with, and reminded me of the Signum.

I plan to branch into hybrid setups soon. The article mentions 5 hybrid setups, 2 geared for power and 3 for spin. The recommended premium setup seems to be what a lot of pros use, natural gut in the mains with a rough poly/co-poly in the crosses which is strung ~3 lbs lower. Although I will certainly try this to see how it feels and performs, I would prefer a more cost effective version of this. Offhand I assumed synthetic gut was just a cheap version of natural gut with similar but not as good characteristics…but it seems like the two strings are considerably different.

How do you guys have your strings set up in your rackets? Especially any pro staff 97 users.

Comment

Originally posted by luv_all View Post

I plan to branch into hybrid setups …..
          Offhand I assumed synthetic gut was just a cheap version of natural gut with similar but not as good characteristics…but it seems like the two strings are considerably different.

How do you guys have your strings set up in your rackets? Especially any pro staff 97 users.
          Wishing you the best as you explore hybrids.

I am one of those with natural gut mains and a firm, round (smooth, untextured) polyester cross….. in various frames (pro staff RF, yonex 97, babolat strike tour, head prestige, tecnifibre T-Fight 325 18/19).
          For me, there is nothing quite like gut mains with poly crosses. Not inexpensive, but certainly worthwhile for the power, spin and the great feel.

I have used all 5 of these cost-effective alternatives to natural gut mains:

A synthetic gut main is almost free, but will not feel as lively.

A multifilament main will cost less than gut. Choosing a firm, but powerful multi is key. Too soft a multifilament will lose tension quickly, feel mushy, will notch easily, and will break more quickly than natural gut.

A well coated multifilament like Tecnifibre x1 bi-phase will offer some of the power of a multi, but will slip more like gut.

Same cost but more durable: gut crosses with poly mains. Not quite as good in terms of feel. Better durability because the main is poly. Good spin. Decent power. Eventually the gut cross breaks….generally at about the time the main is dying.

Soft poly main with a hard poly cross. Excellent slip/spin. Great feel. Not as much power as a gut main.

Enjoy your exploring! Let us know your thoughts along the way!

Comment

Offhand I assumed synthetic gut was just a cheap version of natural gut with similar but not as good characteristics…but it seems like the two strings are considerably different.

I am one of those with natural gut mains and a firm, round (smooth, untextured) polyester cross….. in various frames (pro staff RF, yonex 97, babolat strike tour, head prestige, tecnifibre T-Fight 325 18/19).
            For me, there is nothing quite like gut mains with poly crosses. Not inexpensive, but certainly worthwhile for the power, spin and the great feel.

A multifilament main will cost less than gut. Choosing a firm, but powerful multi is key. Too soft a multifilament will lose tension quickly, feel mushy, will notch easily, and will break more quickly than natural gut.

A well coated multifilament like Tecnifibre x1 bi-phase will offer some of the power of a multi, but will slip more like gut.

Same cost but more durable: gut crosses with poly mains. Not quite as good in terms of feel. Better durability because the main is poly. Good spin. Decent power. Eventually the gut cross breaks….generally at about the time the main is dying.

Soft poly main with a hard poly cross. Excellent slip/spin. Great feel. Not as much power as a gut main.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ajchabria View Post

Thank you ajchabria.

So yesterday I strung one of my rackets up with Wilson Natural Gut in the mains at 60 lbs and Luxilon ALU Power Rough 125 in the crosses at 57 lbs. The Federer setup essentially. Even did the 10 string savers in the same pattern.

Today I tried it out. All I can say is wow. Feel and comfort were incredible especially after break in but even beforehand. Power/liveliness was greatly increased but highly controllable. Interestingly launch angle was different from polys. It seemed much more consistent, always strictly perpendicular to the racket whereas with polys it would often be slightly upward. Shots that would just clear the net with polys went into the middle of the net with this setup, and shots that would go out with polys would land just inside the baseline with this setup.

I would contend that topspin was increased. A true brushing of the ball was so much easier and consistent. Low buggy whip forehands were easy to perform.

Ive told my wife before that I’m cursed with expensive taste for alcohol. Sadly it looks like this is the case for strings as well. I will still try other setups, but as you say this will probably be the best I experience. I’ll give the synthetic gut a try with a poly, as well as other brands of natural guts (like Babolats) with different polys…but man this one is good. I’ll keep you guys posted!

Comment

Gut/poly is a nice setup. I use VS Touch mains at 58lbs with 10% pre-stretch and Isospeed Cream at 55lbs. The Isospeed Cream is supposed to be soft & easier on the arm, but I've never tried the stiffer polys. (And I use string savers too.) However, I often think I'm a sucker, because in rain I will play with a standard multifilament full bed, and sometimes feel that it's better than my fancy setup.

Comment

All the string talk reminds me of some recreational rackets that came out in the 50’s with wire strings. The spin imparted was incredible (if you had the strength to whip the 5 pound racket more than once).

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8638 users online. 6 members and 8632 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X