Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borg Backhand Grip

Hi Pedro,

Here are a couple photos of Borg and I include Chris Evert....many of the earlier two-handers were more similar to one-handed backhands (eastern backhand grips or close to that) with the top (non-dominant) hand acting as support. Wrist flexion and variations in the continental grip have become more popular in recent technique. Therefore, Borg was bottom hand dominant and swung it like a hockey stick (his other sport as a youth), as commonly described.BorgBH.jpg

chris-Evert-backhand.jpg

Comment

Thanks!

Doug, Thanks for your reply with regards to Borg. I look forward to future articles on the two-handed backhand, specifically with regards to "the finish." For example, do any top pros today use a vertical finish?

Also, it would be nice to see a detailed look at Novak's two-hander, the hottest shot in tennis, as well. I appreciate your passion for the game, and for this website. Pedro

Comment

Hi Pedro,

As opposed to wrap-around?
        It depends on the tactical situation.
        A vertical finish is result of a more compact, flatter swing and today's pros
        generate too much racquet head speed and spin to inhibit the swing naturally.

No pro currently pre-dominantly uses the straight-up finish as their rallying stroke but you can still see shorter follow-throughs in emergency situations...for example a defensive blocking return on the run. Just as you might see lobs, slices, serve returns, etc, you will see still see shorter flatter swings.

Doug

Originally posted by privas View Post
        Doug, Thanks for your reply with regards to Borg. I look forward to future articles on the two-handed backhand, specifically with regards to "the finish." For example, do any top pros today use a vertical finish?

Also, it would be nice to see a detailed look at Novak's two-hander, the hottest shot in tennis, as well. I appreciate your passion for the game, and for this website. Pedro

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8014 users online. 8 members and 8006 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X