Secrets to Novak's Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets to Novak's Success

Let's hear your thoughts on Robbie Koenig's interview on "Secrets to Novak's Success".

John,

I've listened to Robbie many times and never have I heard him mention the outstanding achievements that are cited in this interview. Humble guy.

He's clearly very impressed with Djoko's game ( who isn't?) and , from listening to him, he doesn't seem to see an obvious way to beat him.( who does?)

I still Nadal can improve parts of his game , especially on the backhand side, and beat Djokovic but it's going to require major changes from Nadal. I can't wait for the Australian to see what the Nadal team is going to come up with ( or are we going to hear Rafa in a year from now saying "Nobody beats Rafa Nadal 18 times in a row"

Comment

Ok im not expert but this is what i believe, novak forehand is the best for the time being for a few reasons, 1. his backswing is so compact it allows him to really stay on top of the baseline with fear of being rushed or pressured and dictate points how wants, 2. most people would say o well a heavy topspin ball would give him issues if he was using a more conservative grip but he isnt he has an extreme grip and all these balls just fall into his strike zone all day its like a walk in the park, 3. an extreme grip also allows him to to drive the ball as much as he wants because such an extreme grip creates spin pretty much naturally(hence why most coaches teach their students a semi-western grip) combine with his court position well that just makes things that much more scary, 4. This is probably the most important point, his extreme allows him to hit huge amounts of spin when on defense effortlessly (being a great mover does help too). Summary, if you took nadals forhand and rogers forehand and put them together more or less you get novaks forehand. Now whats the negative( cause every stroke has a weakness), his extreme grip in its self is a weakness. Balls hit deep and flat, especially when he is on top of the baseline, can cause issues( one of a few reason why federer can beat novak a litttle bit easier than nadal) but his backhand makes up that but thats a different discussion. So in order to really give novak a headache you would to have to consistently attack his forehand.....................................yea good luck lol.

Comment

It's Rafa's serve!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Let's hear your thoughts on Robbie Koenig's interview on "Secrets to Novak's Success".
        Sports Fans,

No doubt that Novak's aggressive defense and fitness are big factors in his success against Rafa, but the biggest key is the weakness of Rafa's serve.
        Rafa reached the pinnacle last summer after winning the France and W. he came to the US and was serving so big and so effectively.

Compare the stats from the US Open 2010 and this year and see the fall off.
        He could break Novak, got ahead in both the first two sets but could not hold his own serve, struggled in almost all his service games. Saw first serves at 98 and seconds at 78 mph on the fastest surface of the Slams. Where did his serve go?

There were many very long rallies of 25 shots or more and Rafa won his share. Novak more winners but also more errors.

if you say Novak's return is so good that it did not matter, but it surely did.
        Look at what Roger did on the strength of his serve until he faltered at the end.

Rafa has to find that big serve again!

Comment

Djokovic is having one of the best years the sport has ever seen but I refuse to give up on Federer just yet. In my opinion, he was very unlucky not to win slam 17 in New York...I genuinely believe that had he not been extremely unlucky against Djokovic that he would have gone on to beat Nadal in the final.
          A lot of people here anyway were going on about how the final was one of the greatest matches of all time and how unbelievable Djokovic was but I think they're a bit naiive to the fact that Rafa hitting incredibly short helped Djokovic a lot. Nadal's balls were bouncing on the service line and with the balls not kicking up as much on this surface, Djokovic was able to dictate. This would not have effected Federer's backhand as much either had it been he who made it to the final. I don't know, maybe I'm just in denial about Federer, but I still believe he has 2-3 more slams in him before he retires. I would not be surprised if he made 18.

I think we can all agree that the next 15 months will be extremely interesting with a lot of intriguing questions to be answered....when will Nadal beat Djokovic again? Will Federer win another slam? Who will win the olympics?

It's going to be incredible really.

Comment

Nadal vs. Djoko

I am also in denial, perhaps, and I want to see Federer win another few slams. He is the greatest to ever pick up a racquet.

But more to the matter at hand, in terms of the USO final, I wish someone would explain 4 things. 1. Why didn't Nadal hit more forehands down the line to Djoko's forehand. It seems that he kept using patterns he uses against Federer: pepper the backhand and hope for either an error, or eventually an opening down the other alley. 2. Why didn't Nadal attack Djoko's weak serve in the 4th set? 3. Why do people actually believe Nadal will beat Djoko in a slam in the future, when he could not finish off an "injured Djoko at the USO this year? 4. Why can't Nadal learn to take more balls "on the rise." This is perhaps more tricky on the clay (where the bounce ain't so predictable), but on hard courts, this really helps conserve energy. In the end, perhaps the energy factor made the most difference, no?

Toni Nadal, I hope you are out there. Pedro R.

Comment

These are good questions! Wonder what the answers are. My own observation is that aside from the tactical issues, there is a mental feeling on Nadal's part that is different playing Djok now.

Comment

Great interview...no waffle...just straight to the point. Robbie is articulate and hits things right on the head. Can we have JY conducting and editing more such interviews please? I'm going to recommend you to the BBC, JY.

Incremental...great expression in Novak's case...that's what caught everyone out. He didn't seem to be doing anything significantly different yet he suddenly came good and is now awesome. It took years but all of a sudden he's crossed the threshold into amazing tennis.

Physicality....that hits it on the head, too. Novak is immensely strong and can hug up to the baseline and absorb shots from Rafa that others can't. This makes the difference in their matches. As yet Rafa has no answer.

What can Rafa do? Try to trade more and defend less, maybe? For sure he needs to develop that serve and get it swinging out wide and with more pace.

I'm not sure Rafa can develop his game further or whether he is now the finished article. I can't see the backhand improving....maybe the serve, though.

That's my two cents
                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7909 users online. 8 members and 7901 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X