No announcement yet.

Oscar Wegner on the 1 hand backhand from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Kyle, Just out of curiosity, do you know the guy who posts as TennisCoachFLA on the TennisWarehouse message boards?

Comment

John, I never visit the tennis warehouse message board. But, for you, I took a visit and looked up this TennisCoachFLA. Obviously, he does not give his real name, nor does he give his location. Therefore, I'm not sure who it is. If i had a picture of him, or his location, or even if he is a USPTA certified pro I would definitely know. Sorry.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

Stirring the pot...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Yeah, you're right John. We will certainly have to give Oscar a pass on that one.

It also reminds us of just how impactful high speed video has become to debunk certain ideas and preconceived notions we have all had at one time or another in our careers.

I have used this Wegner method for both forehands and backhands on some of my students with great success. Glad don_budge was able to find it. Thanks.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Thanks for the input...I ran across these Oscar Wegner videos in connection with something from the tpatennis website...I believe it was somehow in connection with the thread that I started and ran with on the Nadal serve controversy (now on page two of the forum). I have found them to be extremely useful in teaching at all levels...from advanced players to beginners. Of course I don't agree with everything Oscar Wegner preaches...I must confess that I know very little about him and I certainly don't consider myself a disciple of anyone...except maybe Tilden.

I posted these videos to share my thoughts with other teachers and somehow they seem to provoke a debate about this and that. I am not certain of the history but I must admit that I find it somewhat amusing. I guess that I am sort of guilty of stirring the pot a bit. I couldn't resist. I am not really interested in debunking anyone either...there is plenty of room for everyone's ideas...especially in cyberspace.

I agree with johnyandell that it is not a good idea to teach anyone less than an experienced competitive player to play like the pros...as from what I gather Wegner advocates. I found Yandell's description of the follow through to be very useful as well. This particular thread was intended to be about the teaching of the one hand backhand but has diverged into a number of directions now. I do not think that the area of the racquet where the ball is meeting the strings is an issue when teaching...although it is interesting to find out that others are interested in that.

I suppose it is sunny and warm there in Florida...it is chilly, windy and cloudy here in Sweden. Perfect weather for indoor tennis! Looking forward to your comments in the future...klacr.
        Last edited by don_budge; 12-01-2011, 03:25 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Freezing in Florida

don_budge It's freezing here in sunny South Florida. It's 68 degrees! Guess I'm a bit spoiled. I went to college in Michigan so I'm familiar with the brutal cold and gray skies. I appreciate the comments.

On another note, I think it's safe to say many of us are in agreement with the idea that teaching advanced methods to anyone less than a competitive player.

Going back to the original thread idea, I find that teaching the one-handed backhand is far easier than teaching a forehand. Probably because of the numerous variables involved in the forehands I witness. It may also be that my personal preference in my own game is my backhand rather than my forehand. Hence, giving me more of a bias/preferential treatment to a classic one-hander. Obviously, as a teaching professional I'm comfortable and involved in teaching all strokes of the game but something so rewarding about seeing a student finally nail a one-hander with a beautiful finish.

I could go on and on and eventually I will with some questions geared towards John and the rest of you but I gotta get back to work. Hate to ramble. sorry.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

My practice partner Mikeal and Oscar Wegner on the One Hand Backhand from Scratch

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Interesting little 3 minute video on how to teach the one hand backhand. Brilliantly simple.

Brief summary:

1. Thumb against the strings perpendicular to the arm.

2. Position student in the middle of the service courts and have them walk forwards and backwards across the court.

3. Feed balls and have the student lift their arm as they "swing".

4. Move grip down the handle to top of the grip.

5. Control is important, not power.

6. Next phase...after student lifts and hits, turn with the arm held high and walk back to initial starting point and allow racquet to return to the free hand.

"Simplicity makes it powerful." -Oscar Wegner
            Interesting little 3 minute video on how to teach the one hand backhand. Brilliantly simple.

I just love quoting myself. The ultimate literary indulgence...don't you think so bottle.

But in this case I really have to hand it to Oscar Wegner. But to be fair I must acknowledge Bill Tilden, John Yandell, Chris Lewitt, Rick Macci (does he even teach one hand backhands...who cares), Don Budge and an infinite number of other contributors. What the hell...throw bottle in there too. He deserves an honorable mention.

Who cares where you get it from? Make it your own. Plagiarize. But please...just give it your own sense of delivery...your own sense of performance. Remember...timing is everything. Maintain a confident air about yourself. Pass it on to your student...that is all that matters in the end. Make them feel good...about themselves. If you can just ignite enough white light in their grey matter to keep them up at night because they have discovered a new shot...your day has been a success as a tennis coach.

What is even more important is that your day has been a success as a human being. My guy laid out the cash which I politely and humbly refused...call me an amateur if you want, but as a human being I was on my game today. Perhaps I have a Machiavellian streak and will ask for his first born at some point in the future. I gave it away. I give it away. Pass it forwards. Fuck it...so to speak. In so many words.

Today I set about teaching my tennis partner Mikeal the one hand backhand. He is forty years old in tip top shape...6'5" tall, lean and muscular. So we started just as the script goes...#1 thru #6. Like a knife through butter. Note #5...Oscar comes close to nailing it...perhaps I should send him a note. Control is power. Easy and relaxed swings. Effortless. We start at the beginning. Aim...aim...aim. Like the real estate salesman's mantra. Location...location...location.

The Grip? Thumb up the handle is as good as place to begin as anywhere. Actually I maintain that it is the best place to begin. Ironic isn't it...the Don Budge backhand grip? But Don Budge is the backhand part of my paradigm. See what I mean...you can connect the dots to a stronger grip should the student lean in that direction. I prefer to see them drive the ball first then they gradually find the heavier topspin...should they prefer that themselves. It's up to them...although I am not shy about offering my advise.

When we were going out to the court I was shuffling the balls around in the closet...opting for the green ball to begin with. He asked..."are we using the orange ball", somewhat anxiously. Nope...just moving the balls around.

On to #7...light rallying. Relaxed and controlled. Just flawless. Grip and lift. Finish high. By this time the grip is already all of the way down at the bottom. Aim to my hand...or my racquet. After the light rallying we skipped to the volleys and made some adjustments...afterall now that he will be using a one hand backhand his tactical options are going to multiply three fold...at least.

Volley motion...imagine that there is a wall on either side of you and you must go through the doorway and directly forwards to the ball with your racquet...the backswing is initially a forward movement. Then lean on the ball with your racquet...through the ball and slightly down for "controlled" underspin. Alternating forehand and backhand volleys at a rather slow pace. Time to think...about the position of the feet. The racquet head...racquet at 45 degrees. The position and motion of the upper body. The motion of the hand and arm. All simultaneously contributing to the synergy of one synchronized motion.

I tie in the backhand volley with the underspin backhand. We connected some serious dots. Afterall...isn't that what I do? By the way...I was flawless with my feeding and my rallying. Such a nice underspin rotation on the ball no matter where I hit it from. Consistent spin. The name of the game.

The second lesson was with the Estonian Lady. I don't want to bore you guys. But I will say this...we are at the point now in the smash and service motion that we are making the lines of Rick Macci and countless others...Stotty included..."Should always be...I could draw a straight line...I don't even need to look...there's a straight line through my shoulder, shoulder, elbow. Every time". Know what I mean?

But I digress.
            Last edited by don_budge; 03-14-2014, 01:50 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Although I don't always agree with everything that Oscar Wegner says, I have always felt refreshed when I saw his old TV shows, & his videos on The Tennis Teacher website (because he thinks for himself rather than follows the current conventional wisdom). I have said many times at tennisplayer.net that tennis would be better off if we taught players to track the ball for the topspin forehand as Wegner teaches, rather than use the unit-turn tracking that is mostly taught today.

The way Wegner is teaching the topspin backhand in the video is extremely similar to the way my old coach Peter Scott used to teach it in 1968 (& also before that): Choke up & hold racket at neck, with right angle between forearm & racket throat. Finish with that angle as well. Abbreviated backswing, with emphasis on forward swing. Gently tossed balls. Emphasis on the racket & arm motion, before overly worrying about any footwork. Gradual progression in learning.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7937 users online. 3 members and 7934 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X