2011 BNP Paribas Masters...Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 BNP Paribas Masters...Paris

Defending champion Robin Söderling will not be defending because of an extended illness of glandular fever (mononucleosis?). Last years event was just "super"...really exciting. Micheal Llodra had an exciting run charging the net on the fast indoor courts beating Daveydenko, Djokovic and finally losing to Robin Söderling in somewhat of an epic semi-final. Gail Monfils semi-final match with Roger Federer was as tight as it can get with Monfils prevailing. Monfils was catfood for Söderling the next day...virtually spent from his match with Federer.

This years field is even stronger...and the results in the two events in Basel and Valencia that preceded this event were rather surprising as three of the four finalists were unseeded. Early round possibilities include Murray vs. Granollers (who won at Valencia) in the second round and Djokovic vs. Nishikori in the third round. Mardy Fish vs. the quirky Florian Mayer could be quite interesting if that match should materialize in the second round also.
    Last edited by don_budge; 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

compelling...

From out of the ether of teaching and philosophy, we have the reality of an actual tournament.

Compelling tournament for Federer...three formidable opponents between him and the trophy. All of them beatable. All of them capable of beating him. I'm putting my money on "The Man".

Federer defeats Berdych 6-4 6-3

Tsonga vs. Isner 3-6 7-6 7-6

After his victory in the Swiss Indoors...now this. A victory in Paris would reallly add to the intrigue building up for London. A possible resurgence for Roger when his other Big Four competitors look to be struggling...or are they merely pacing themselves for the showdown in Britain?
    Last edited by don_budge; 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM. Reason: for clarity' sake...
    don_budge

Comment

For the marbles...

Federer vs. Tsonga in the finals

Similar scenario to last year. Federer routinely through in the earlly match, Tsonga plays a marathon in the late match....can he recover to meet "The Man"? Federer leads head to head 5-3 including a straight sets win at the US Open this past year.

No...he cannot.
      don_budge

Comment

Is Tsonga tired??

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Federer vs. Tsonga in the finals

Similar scenario to last year. Federer routinely through in the earlly match, Tsonga plays a marathon in the late match....can he recover to meet "The Man"? Federer leads head to head 5-3 including a straight sets win at the US Open this past year.

No...he cannot.
        I don't think Tsonga will show much sign of fatigue tomorrow. Although it had to be mentally draining to go 3 hours and two tie-breakers and down 3 match points against Isner, Tsonga probably ran less than he would in a normal 90 minute 22 game match. The crowd support will keep his adrenalin running quite high. This is indoors. I, too, will pick Federer in the final, but I don't think fatigue will be the determining factor; and then, it will be the fact that Federer is in such great shape and coming off a slight edge with the shorter match today. I spent the whole Isner/Tsonga match up until the last 2 games trying to get my TennisTV to work. They were very cooperative, but it took a long time and finally I got to see the tb. I'll watch Fed's match later today, but it must have been an exciting match to watch live.

I have to say, I wonder what would happen if Isner really got as fit as he possibly could be. It is tough for anyone 6' 10" to run around a tennis court for 2 hours, much less 3 or 4 (or 2 1/2 days like he did at Wimbledon), but it seems he's made a great adaptation to his capabilities. And he hits some great shots besides his serve. I would love to see him take this time before the Australian, after a couple of weeks off, to try and get in better shape than he has ever been in. If he improves his fitness just a little bit he could be an important factor in the top ten. He may already have squeezed as much fitness out of that big body as he can, but I just sense that a different kind of training could give him a better first step and a little more endurance in those long matches...

don

Comment

The Finals BNP Paribus Masters...2011

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
          I don't think Tsonga will show much sign of fatigue tomorrow. Although it had to be mentally draining to go 3 hours and two tie-breakers and down 3 match points against Isner, Tsonga probably ran less than he would in a normal 90 minute 22 game match. The crowd support will keep his adrenalin running quite high. This is indoors. I, too, will pick Federer in the final, but I don't think fatigue will be the determining factor; and then, it will be the fact that Federer is in such great shape and coming off a slight edge with the shorter match today.

don
          Yep...you are correct, sir. Fatigue won't be a factor unless Tsonga left his legs out on the dance floor or someplace else last night. I forgot that Djokovic pulled out of his quarterfinal match on Friday. It looks to me that Federer is really coming into form, which is great to see. He was particularly sharp against Berdych. It appears that he has cycled himself just right...with the rest, with his performance, etc...especially with the big tournament coming up later in the month. It will be interesting to see if the crowd can have any effect on either of the players.

Here goes, Tsonga won the toss and elected to receive....Federer to serve.

Early break for Federer. At 40 all on Tsonga's serve, Federer took the second serve early and followed to the net forcing a Tsonga error. On break point he used a slice backhand to draw an error from Tsonga for the break. 2-0 Federer.

Routine hold in the third game...3-0. Perfect start. The pressure is on Tsonga.

Tsonga appears to use a somewhat stronger grip which enables him to hit very hard but the question is...does it inhibit his ability to spin the ball? Federer has taken several second serves of Tsonga and punished his returns. Once again at deuce, Federer takes the second serve and moves in on the net forcing a Tsonga error again...Tsonga double faults on break point. 4-0 Federer.

Service winner, first serve then reverse forehand winner, ace, serve and volley winner. 5-0 Federer.

Routine hold for Tsonga. 5-1, Federer to serve for the set. At 30-30, Federer first serve then a swinging topspin volley winner. 6-1 Federer, on his second set point. Thirty minutes for a flawless first set for Federer.

So...can Federer keep up the high level of play and can Tsonga mount a counter attack? We shall see.

No breaks in the second set...tie breaker. Federer wins the first point against the Tsonga serve. 2-0, first serve in, forehand winner. Service winner for 3-0 to Federer. Backhand error from Tsonga...4-0. Service winner for 4-1 Federer. Ace 5-1...change sides. Another backhand error for match point for Federer...6-1. Drop shot winner from Tsonga...ballsy move from the Frenchman 6-2. Service winner. 6-3, match on his racquet...first serve in, three shot exchange and Tsonga misses long, Federer wins!

On to London. He sure looked sharp...didn't he tennis_chiro?
          Last edited by don_budge; 11-13-2011, 07:45 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

Focus was fantastic!

Yes, d_b, I thought Roger looked great. I was particularly impressed with the way he kept his focus and never let up. He stumbled a little with his service rhythm at 3-4 and maybe 2-3, but he recovered nicely and really kept the pedal to the metal through the last 21 points. (I saw a 15/20 graphic in the last couple of points.)

I didn't think fatigue or lack of adrenalin would be a problem, but I think, in fact, Tsonga had a little too much adrenalin and couldn't control himself. He made a lot of unforced errors and went for a little too much even for him on a few important points.

The match was a lot closer than it looked by the score. If Jo Wilfred converts one of those two break points in the first game or even just challenges his liner that was called out on game point (shown good on shot spot), it could have been a lot different. When Tsonga makes his attacking shots they are too good for anyone; Roger did a good job of not giving him enough opportunities to attack and get any rhythm. But if Tsonga's forehand had not been wide in that 2nd set, 3-4 break point, he probably would have served out the 2nd set. At that moment Roger was struggling with his 1st serve. Getting out of that game was very big. He got just enough comfort level in the next service game and then he turned it up at 5-6 going into the tb.

I think Roger looks very good for London, mostly because the top guys are all dealing with coming back from injuries: Nadal, Djokovic and even Murray with his little niggles. Roger appears to be 100%. But if they are healthy, I don't like his chances against Murray or Djokovic. His cat-and-mouse approach of hitting rollers in response to the attack of Jo Wilfred waiting for the inevitable error (today) or a short ball he can really attack just won't work when Murray and Djokovic are playing the way they have shown this year (Djokovic all year and Murray the last month). He's got to have a little more penetration on his "neutral exchange" ball or they will take advantage of him. They don't overhit as much as Tsonga and don't make nearly as many unforced errors. Of course, they don't serve as big either (Tsonga didn't allow Federer a single break point after the first set at Wimbledon). But I think Murray has really learned how to play more proactively (I really didn't understand the loss to Berdych.) And I think if Novak's shoulder gets back to 100%, he is going to be serving a lot more in the 125 to 135 range and that is going to make him a lot tougher to break. As I've said before, I expect Nadal to make some changes by the time the Australian rolls around. If he doesn't, these guys are going to move away from him, at least on hard courts and probably grass as well.

I just hope everybody is healthy for next week!

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8110 users online. 4 members and 8106 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X