The Modern Pro Slice: Stroke Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Modern Pro Slice: Stroke Components

Love to hear what people thought about The Modern Pro Slice: Stroke Components

John Yandell

elbow

it's a great article John. i have to question your idea that the elbow should straighten as early as possible, like Nadal. It seems to me that the best way to get racket head speed into the shot is for the elbow to be moving until just before contact. if the elbow straightens too early RHS is only generated by the shoulder, whereas with it straightening just prior to contact you have an extra moving part.

Comment

Bruce,

In an ideal world or maybe pro world I agree with you that the elbow bend probably helps. My experience is that is the cherry on top and for most people at most levels the straight arm is the key to having the sundae.

Comment

the slice

I would like to know exactly when it straightens. I agree with you that the arm probably should be straight at contact. Thats how it feels and looks to me.

The question is how early it should straighten. I currently have two students who I think straighten it too early, earlier than Nadal. they are then mainly swinging with shoulder muscles and are less able to easily accelerate the racket head thru contact. This also reduces their ability to time the contact well.

I think there's only one way to resolve this question. Lets gets some high speed video and have a closer look at it!

I was amazed at Roger's spin, and very interested in the follow through. I'm now looking forward to part 3, The elbow!

Comment

Hey John,

How come I am a Junior Member? I am 58 years old and have been a member since you started.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce View Post
            Hey John,

How come I am a Junior Member? I am 58 years old and have been a member since you started.
            Good question that one...like to know the answer myself
            Stotty

Comment

If you want to be a senior member, just post as much Stotty! The software for the Forum assigns that based on number of posts, not length of subcription. So Bruce, I name you a Senior Subscriber.

Comment

Pro Backhand Slice

First of all a truly great article. You explain how to hit the shot in perfect detail. In fact after reading the article and watching Roger I was certain I could replicate the shot.
                Just came back from the tennis court and I did replicate the shot!
                Yes, on maybe 5 out of 100 balls I felt like I hit it almost correctly and could actually see the difference. The ball would shoot over the net low, deep and with lots of spin! On the other 95 about 75 went into the net and the rest went somewhere else!
                I can see why it is call the " Pro Backhand slice"
                Seriously, I think watching and trying the shot will definitely improve my slice.
                Thanks, JOhn

Comment

Bravo!

John,

Excellent article on the backhand slice!

It's been too long since I've posted but I've been busy (Work keeps me busy). I guess thats a great thing in these times.

Anyways, I love the fact that you have highlighted the slice backhand. A very often misunderstood and under utilized shot at all levels of play. I enjoy hitting my slice almost as much as I do my regular backhand drive. And I enjoy teaching it to my students even more. Thanks for the great insight. I'm always learning. Thats what I love.

I promise I'll get back into posting soon.

John, a little off topic, ever thought about joining twitter? I've mentioned tennisplayer.net on there a few times. maybe a great way to get the word out. Just thinking how more people can benefit from your research.

Thanks again for all that you do.

Sincerely,
                  Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

Kyle,

Great post and thanks for the good words. As for Twitter, as soon as I ad (my second) clone I'll will be there bigtime.

Comment

John,

No worries about Twitter. Rob Koenig and I have discussed your site in the twitterverse so we are getting the word out. I know you have alot on your plate. As for the cloning, not really my area of expertise but I'll see what I can do on that front.

Sincerely,

Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

Wrist release on slice bh

John,

Must there be some wrist release at contact and slightly there after on the pro slice backhand? Keeping the tip of the racquet above the wrist seems unnatural.

Ralph

Comment

Could be though I don't really see it in the high speed footage so if so it must be slight. I think with the hitting arm straight the height of the racket head will be a function of the height of the contact.

So higher balls the racket head can be above the wrist no problem.

Check this one out:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...0500fps%20.mov

Comment

John,

Your article on the slice BH, and comparing the 3 players, Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic, really pointed out to me that Federer's is technically superior, and he is the only one of the 3 using the true continental grip. As you pointed out, because of his grip, his contact point is farther in front than Djokovic and Nadal. Federer's slice BH does not tend to float, it has more "bite" than Nadal's and Djokovic, who both are over to far to the FH side on their slice BH grip.

Comment

BH Slice

Wow - Again
                              John, thank you for all you do for our tennis community of teaching professionals. Super informative article.
                              Keep up all the good work!
                              rich

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8537 users online. 3 members and 8534 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X