The Wow Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wow Experience

Let's hear your thoughts on Mats Wilander's interview on "The Wow Experience".

Truckin' with Mats...and Jante's Laws

I love this guy...my fellow Swede, my fellow American. Is he a dual citizen? Here is a bit of what he said in the "On Court Format" section of the interview.

I wrote it down because I learned a long time ago that if you wish to have something that you have to say remembered...put it down in writing. If you don't, chances are that by the time that the wind calms down that was created by your lips flapping, whatever it was that you said will either be quickly forgotten or misconstrued. Isn't that just a little profound?

"The technique is not usually right because the feet are not in the right position. If the feet are in the right position there are many ways to hit the ball...but your feet need to be in a similar position every time. I am not saying the left foot forward for the forehand is right, the right foot forward open stance is wrong or right, at least you repeat the same thing. People today in tennis...with the “new” equipment you have players of a lower level trying to hit these crazy shots, these winners that they see the pros hit...and we don’t get a workout the way we used to when we had less powerful racquets. I am trying to bring back the way I played, the way we played in the eighties and the way amateurs should play...which is keep the ball in play, get a good workout and a good sweat, and figure your opponent out a little bit more than relying on your own strengths. You probably don’t have any great strengths in your game when you are playing twice a week."-Mats Wilander

Here's a guy who played the game...the old game, I call it classic tennis...and he sounds just a bit "nostalgic" as all of the modern tennis aficionados paint you to be when you begin to talk of classic tennis. He is talking about the "new equipment" and "how we used to play"...and how it has taken something from the game, if you can read between the lines you will detect as much. I anticipate the respondent that will claim that this is not what he is saying. 10splayer? licensedcoach? llll?

What a lot of fun he must be having...driving around the country in a Winnebago with some long haired hippie graduate from the Naval Academy. It's too bad the rest of us don't have the time to tool around a bit...you know, just to take the edge off. He's right...it's the best way to see the country.

You are right chuck62...this fellow is not your "typical" Swede. Most Swedes would have a difficult time spending that much time in front of the camera, they are a bit "shy" you know...even he looks to be a bit uncomfortable. But then again I know what to look for, believe me I know what I am talking about. The Jante Law thing and how it relates to Wilander and Edberg? Both of them were super good sports on the court...refusing to make a spectacle of the game or causing some kind of scene which would draw the "wrong" type of attention to themselves. Much like their beloved and highly esteemed predecessor...Björn Borg. I love your reference to the "Vikings" of yesteryear...I always try to get these kids here to draw upon the inner Viking...to get in touch with their inner Viking. Unfortunately it's difficult because years of social programming have all but caused this cultural trait to disappear...but on the other hand Sweden has not been involved in a military conflict per se for some two hundred years. There is something to be said for peaceful coexistence with the rest of the world.

Great interview Johnny, it's an art and you are an artist, it's no big deal, right? Beautiful but where's the music as he is driving off (Grateful Dead perhaps)...I just love it when the Winnebago is driving off into the distance heading towards the highway...keep on truckin', Mats! Wow!
    Last edited by don_budge; 11-24-2011, 02:07 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Truckin' ?

One thing I didn't have the guts to ask was the mileage--seems like first class airfare wouldn't be much more than the gas for that baby.

Comment

Great Interviewing

Well, the interviewer is either shy or doesn't want to get in the way Both scenarios are fine with me, especially the latter. Its all about the interviewee not he interviewer...that's what the top interviewers say over here. Superb, John, your interviews are done in great style. I love the editing of them.

I like Matt's down to earth assessment of coaching club players. The old fashioned style of coaching works best with these types. There is no point trying to emulate tour players if you are middle-aged and possess only a fraction of their ability. Closed and neutral stances please...

I am amazed he does the WOW thing. It seems an unusual thing for a former tennis legend to do. I'm assuming he's not hard up and doesn't need to do it. But good luck to him...it can only be good for tennis.

Wish I had a Winnebago...
        Last edited by stotty; 11-25-2011, 03:23 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

You sure?

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Well, the interviewer is either shy or doesn't want to get in the way Both scenarios are fine with me, especially the latter. Its all about the interviewee not he interviewer...that's what the top interviewers say over here. Superb, John, your interviews are done in great style. I love the editing of them.

I like Matt's down to earth assessment of coaching club players. The old fashioned style of coaching works best with these types. There is no point trying to emulate tour players if you are middle-aged and possess only a fraction of their ability. Closed and neutral stances please...

I am amazed he does the WOW thing. It seems an unusual thing to do for a former tennis legend to do. I'm assuming he's not hard up and needs to do it. But good luck to him...it can only be good for tennis.

Looks like a nice unit, but how would you maneuver it on British roads and where would you park it??

don

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

I am amazed he does the WOW thing. It seems an unusual thing for a former tennis legend to do. I'm assuming he's not hard up and doesn't need to do it.

the prize money was not like it is now in his day
            dont know if he has been divorced
            or his recreational habits
            but do you think he drives around to teach club players for the love of tennis only???
            just askin

Comment

He definitely thinks of it as a business.

Comment

Good stuff

I saw the WOW experience in action last year at The Delray Beach ATP tournament. It was on an outside clay court near the stadium. Seemed like it was a fun time had by all. Good drills, definitely some movement and fitness involved. Students were really into it and so was Mats. Always good to see.

The winnebago was parked in lot in front of tennis center.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8488 users online. 6 members and 8482 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X