Video Analysis Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Analysis Software

Anyone know anything about video analysis software? Dartfish and SiliconCoach seem awfully expensive and are built more for PCs than Macs...I have a Mac. I found a software call Swing It, but it's really for golf...though the developer says there is little reason why it can't be used for tennis.

JY, what do you use? What do other coaches use?

At the moment I take screenshots from Quicktime clips and import them into Preview then draw lines and circles indicating the relevant coaching points, then export them to the desktop or email them to students.

Also, does anyone know how to compress Quicktime clips so the files aren't so heavy to email?
    Stotty

Compressing QuickTime files

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    Anyone know anything about video analysis software? Dartfish and SiliconCoach seem awfully expensive and are built more for PCs than Macs...I have a Mac. I found a software call Swing It, but it's really for golf...though the developer says there is little reason why it can't be used for tennis.

JY, what do you use? What do other coaches use?

At the moment I take screenshots from Quicktime clips and import them into Preview then draw lines and circles indicating the relevant coaching points, then export them to the desktop or email them to students.

Also, does anyone know how to compress Quicktime clips so the files aren't so heavy to email?
    Stotty,
    I recently discovered that I could compress some of my video clips by opening them in QuickTimePlayer 10.0 and then saving them in the HD480P format. Compressed them quite a bit.

Are you actually drawing lines in Preview? Or are you using some other software for that part of it?

don

Comment

Don, you can do pretty much whatever you need in Preview. Take screenshots, cut out out sections of a screenshots, draw circles, lines, write text, and mail it to a students by dropping it straight into a email.

As for doing a voiceover for a clip, I am certain you can do this quite easily too. I haven't done it myself, but I am sure you can. The obvious thing would be to import the clip into iMovie and add a voiceover that way.

Dartfish and Silicon Coach are great products but I am not sure they are worth the money. They offer an abundance of features, but would any of us actually use or need them?

A purpose-built product for $200 would seem about right. I am not sure such a product exists specifically for Macs. If anyone knows of one I would love hear about it. I don't want to spend $1000 plus, though...it just isn't worth.
      Stotty

Comment

Tips for Video Analysis

Hi Coach,

Just saw your request. I have Dartfish and just upgraded to 6.0 (which sells for maybe $2500 but I paid $600 for it since I've been with them for a long time). Most people partition their Macs in order to work it since it is PC based.

Also inexpensive is iSwing
        which can be used on your iPhone

Most of other software are $500 or more (e.g, Tennis LMS, ProMirror, ProMotion).

SwingIt or iSwing is fine.

Preview does allow simple editing with text and lines...there are a few other programs which do the same and better. I used Preview to quickly get you G's serve analysis...also used Square 5 (below) after uploading and saving as a video sequence. And Picasa to create the 4 photo collage.

I actually use iMovie 6.0 with lots of plug-ins for my video analysis and also Picasa for photo collages. I find it better than my old Dartfish 4.5 but I have not used the 6.0 yet until I find a suitable computer.

For compression of videos, I use:

it's free and by far the best software out there for compression and changing sizes, etc.

On my youtube channel (look up 10sDog), most students are analyzed with iMovie 6.0 (which is free from Apple). It's a better system than any of the subsequent iMovies which eliminated the HD and plug-ins. For example, I can use split screens, timer, other effects, etc. I also have Final Cut Express but it's not as useful. Even David Ramos (USTA videographer) loved iMovie 6.0 HD and preferred it to the more recent software for editing but administratively I think they wanted him to use a more recent software.

Best,
        Doug

Comment

Presentation at PTR 2011

My colleagues and I presented video analysis software and equipment at the PTR International Symposium. Maybe I can send you a pdf of the presentation.

Doug

Comment

Doug, thanks for all that info...you seem to know more about the subject than most people...and, yes, and pdf file you can send me would be GREAT!. If you can, send it via PM. I had never considered using iMovie or Picasa and will definitely look into that.

I think the key things to have are an ability to "measure angles" and a split screen feature for "side by side" analysis...oh...and "easy of use" is always handy...it's great to be able to do these things in a jiffy.
            Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3431 users online. 5 members and 3426 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X