My Backhands (Front View)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Thread

This has been a great thread, followed with great interest by myself... very interesting this inside theory...why not try it out, Bowt, then post some clips?

One thing I would like to add is this:

I have been using video analysis a lot over the last couple of years. It's a significant coaching tool. I've learnt a lot (or think I have) from John Yandell and the work he's done...namely...zoom close in...shoot mostly the player not the surroundings...take clips from many different angles.

The later would be paramount for you, Bowt. You are clearly a decent player and the way for coaches to help you best is for them to see that backhand from a selection of different angles. It would also be great to see how your backhand performs in a full rally and under duress...leave the mishits and errors in the clip...they often tell the real story and the clues to correction. Nikae's thread has been excellent in this respect...very real...coaches are given excellent insight into Nikae's game and his level of play.

Also, it is most helpful for coaches to see a stroke in real time as well as slomo. Slow motion is helpful for breaking things down after seeing the stroke in real time. A combination of slomo and real time clips provide the best chance for an accurate diagnosis.

Take clips from different angles, too...front, rear and both sides...and of you striking backhands from different areas in the court.

This has been a great thread...really enjoyed it.
    Stotty

Comment

An interesting thread. And I agree that there are similarities between the golf and tennis swing, one being, (as TC mentioned) the need to find "inside" position at the beginning of the forward swing. Which conserves angular momentum, and produces arching, powerful, racquet/club head speed swing paths. But...... only if you release the racquet, which i think is the OP's principle problem.

I actually see him finding an "acceptable" inside position. But what's missing is a proper rotation of the forearms (the release) as indicated by the supinated position of the left arm throughout the swing. In fact, the racquet face is "open" post contact. This creates a very pushy, slow, racquet head speed draining effect. Especially with such a "strong" left hand grip, the forearm needs to rotate much, much more, than it is now. The position of Tsonga's forearms post contact is a pretty good illustration of this "release" im proposing.

Similarly, this rotation of the arms, is a characteristic of all great golf swings. In fact, it may be the most defining one. That the angle between forearm and club shaft is preserved in the downswing until right before contact. This balistic, last second rotation of the club from toe up, to toe down, is key in producing club head speed.
      Last edited by 10splayer; 12-01-2011, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
        An interesting thread. And I agree that there are similarities between the golf and tennis swing, one being, (as TC mentioned) the need to find "inside" position at the beginning of the forward swing. Which conserves angular momentum, and produces arching, powerful, racquet/club head speed swing paths. But...... only if you release the racquet, which i think is the OP's principle problem.

I actually see him finding an "acceptable" inside position. But what's missing is a proper rotation of the forearms (the release) as indicated by the supinated position of the left arm throughout the swing. In fact, the racquet face is "open" post contact. This creates a very pushy, slow, racquet head speed draining effect. Especially with such a "strong" left hand grip, the forearm needs to rotate much, much more, than it is now. The position of Tsonga's forearms post contact is a pretty good illustration of this "release" of proposing.

Similarly, this rotation of the arms, is a characteristic of all great golf swings. In fact, it may be the most defining one. That the angle between forearm and club shaft is preserved in the downswing until right before contact. This balistic, last second rotation of the club from toe up, to toe down, is key in producing club head speed.
        Thanks for your input

I agree I definately dont get enough rotation with my left hand

I dont feel my left arm working that much when I hit the shot

something about tsongas backhand is his racket head isnt so vertical and he gets alot more racket drop

I think having my racket so vertical and a high take makes it difficult to do that

im going to try having my racket not so high and lower with my arms

smaller racket take back

if i try change my left hand grip to something a bit weaker dunno feels crap I cant hit topspin think my arm configuration changes

I always think my right hand is in a different position with each shot - like hit with conti grip and not enough eastern

dunno I try to feel what is good
        Last edited by bowt; 12-01-2011, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I am Andre, Richard's coach. Thanks for all input guys. You've done a great work and helped Richard and I to form a clearer picture.

I think the reason why Richard doesn't get his racquet from the inside soon enough is because he elevates his hands and stretches his arms still with the racquet head up (like a golf swing, no wonder he is a good golfer!). Although I am still not 100 per cent sure that is a problem...

Richard has changed the configuration of his arms on his backhands. Previously he hit with a double bend and this was the first time I've recorded him with a double stretch. Uau what a change! I was very surprised because we hadn't work on it before, it was just something he wanted to do for quite sometime.

Richard, for someone who changed so much I think your shots look quite sound.

There are issues with your footwork Richard. On most of the shots you seem to step in with a neutral stance but the left foot is not really stepping in towards the ball, it resembles an open stance on most of the shots. This might be happening because you were late finding your power position (since your arms stretched and gone up) or maybe just because you were not fast enough (or a mixture of both reasons)

I think that bringing the left foot around after contact in your case is not a must due to the fact that you are using a neutral stance. Players bring their left foot around with a big step to the side to stabilize and recover when they use their closed stance since the body weight is transferred to their left side. Forcing our students to bring their left foot around on the backhand are indirectly encouraging them to use more a closed stance, besides there is the danger of the student bringing the left hip forward too early which is extremely common in a lot of players. I prefer letting those balance issues to the feel of my students.

The high position of your hands and racquet head with a stretched right arm even before you have reached the power position is in my opinion the major aspect for you to improve on your backhand. Nadal and Agassi have a extremely compact backhand. The hands stay lower and don't elevate throughout the backswing. This is one of the major discoveries that J.Yandell had on the 2 handed bh. Their racquet head is low as well and the arms only stretched when the racquet head drops just before the forward swing.

Can't wait to record your backhand in a few months. There is no hurry. The biggest changes and improvements occur when there is no rush.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2671 users online. 7 members and 2664 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X