Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-Handed Backhand: The 4 Variations

John,

Great article on the 4 variations of the two-handed backhand. As you know, I've been struggling with my backhand. In high school I was a two-hander. During my freshman year in college, I tried to develop a one-hander. During my sophomore year, I went back to the two-hander. The search has been frustrating. A lot of my problems have stemmed from mis-information. I've found that most pros do a good job at detailing the technical points for the one-hander. The same cannot be said for the two-hander. As always, you are breaking ground with your insights.

However, I have one question for you. What is the angle of the shoulders in the bent/bent variation? For the bent/bent players shown in the article, it looks like the back shoulder is generally higher than the front shoulder. This makes considering that the back arm is doing the majority of the work in driving the racquet through the hitting zone.

Anyways, I plan on going out to the practice courts and trying out the one-handed backhand and left handed forehand drill. I'll keep you posted on my progress and will definitely try to tape myself. Again, thanks for opening my eyes to the variations in technique with the two-handed backhand. Keep up the great work!

-Lukman
    Last edited by lukman41985; 07-01-2005, 12:36 AM.

Right, that's what I think. The higher left shoulder means more back arm. Try out the straight rear arm. It'll probably work great.

Comment

Roddick's backhand, what version?

What is Roddick's version? Its obvious its not the best, but what version do you think it is? Thanks.

Comment

It's bent straight with a weak right hand grip. Deadly combination if you watched the match this morning. More on this is a couple of months in a full length article.

Comment

John,
          Just wanted to say that the bent/straight combo is working great! My right hand grip is an Eastern backhand grip with the index knuckle on bevel 2 and the heel pad on bevel one. My left hand grip is a mild semi-western with the index knuckle just on bevel 4 and the heel pad on bevel 3. For so long I struggled with the two hander because I was using a traditional continental on the right hand. I'm right handed and this grip structure did not allow me to utilize my right handedness. Now, with a stronger right hand grip, my hands feel more in unison. My grip structure allows me to drive the left arm while the right arm naturally pull the racquet along. Now, I just have to work on my footwork. I have been running around my backhand for so long that I had forgotten how to set-up for a backhand. Anyways, thanks. You were right. I hope the word about the bent/straight technique gets out to the rest of the world!

Sincerely,
          Lukman

Comment

For now it's just your little secret...and a few other smart people on Tennisplayer--enjoy it until we finish taking over the world...

Comment

All the swings are on a curve and from the inside out--except maybe Roddick's which is less os and this is a problem. Nobody comes from outside. The question is what is the arc of the curve. And that is a good question that relates to "hitting thru" the line of the shot. 3D is what we need to take the distinctions to that level--although bent-straight sometimes appears to be thru the line more to me in some video.

Comment

I haven't posted here is a while, but needed to this time because the article is the first summary of all diffrent hnd/grip combos I have seen anywhere. I just needed to express my gratitude to John for it and I hope that 3D is coming our way. I've been secretly hoping that it will be here soon.. Will keep my fingers crossed.

I also wanted to add that from my observations, straight/bent seems to be the most stable version of them all and it also provides more spin/pace combination avalable to the player. Lastly to the question above: I have not seen any good backhand coming from the outside to the ball and most weak ones are aproaching the ball from behind. I do beleive you need to get out of the path of the ball and swing inside/out/in in order to get a good quality ball from a backhand.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you John once again!

Comment

I agree totally about the inside out motion. Also for the men there must be some reason that so many use bent/straight. There is also must be some reason that almost all women are bent/bent. Not sure what at this point.

3D is coming but slowly over the next few years! There are some breakthroughs we'll be talking about on the site in the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
                    I agree totally about the inside out motion. Also for the men there must be some reason that so many use bent/straight. There is also must be some reason that almost all women are bent/bent. Not sure what at this point.

3D is coming but slowly over the next few years! There are some breakthroughs we'll be talking about on the site in the next few months.
                    I've been thinking about the fact that almost all women use bent/bent. It did not hit me untill I asked my wife (she is a good 4.0) to try and hit straight/bent. She said it did not feel comfortable because of the anathomical difference in the chest area.

I also feel that women have always been thought to exagerate topspin since it has been assumed they cannot produce the power output of man, therfore they need to play it safe. Hence all those wrist bent down to get lower than the ball and trying to rotate the body and actually pull the frame around in an effort to increase power and hit with lots of hight and spin at the same time. I defunitely don't agree with it, I just feel that this might be the second reason besides chest sizes and configuration

Stan

Comment

Well, there must be some reason. I have a few other ideas, but nothing clear enough to express. We'll continue to investigate...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9507 users online. 9 members and 9498 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X