Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Roddick's Flawed Grip Structure on the Backhand

John,
    Sorry to bother you, but I was very curious about the issue you raised with Roddick's backhand grip structure. Check out this video. I paid close attention to the frame 2 frames before contact and to the frame 3 frames after contact.

Throughout his backhand stroke, his right arm and wrist looks so very awkward--it's contorted in a way I haven't seen in a top player's two-hander except for maybe Guillermo Coria. The right wrist looks bowed and unnatural. This seems to be a result of him holding an Eastern forehand grip with his bottom hand. The variation he seems to be going for is the bent/straight. I say this because his left shoulder is higher than his right shoulder and he's really trying to drive that left arm straight--and he almost does straighten it all the way. But because of his flawed right hand grip, which should be an Eastern backhand not an Eastern forehand, he is not able to get his body into the shot as well as the true bent/straight players. Is there a connection betwen the flawed grip and body position? I think so. I think his body falls backwards in this clip in order to somehow compensate for the weak position that the bottom hand is in. Just compare this video of Roddick to the Flash clip you posted of Lleyton in the grips section of the bent/straight portion of your backhand article.

What ends up happening is that Andy looks like he's using the flex/flex variation, because both arms have a slight bend, but he's straying from the correct technical checkpoints for that variation as well by having the high left shoulder.

Yikes! But still, Andy's backhand is improving. At Wimbledon, it's held up. Just goes to show you how much talent and guts this kid has to overcome technical pitfalls. Will TJ or Fed expose this weakness? Can anyone explain this issue to A-Rod? If he heard about it, he'd probably laugh. After all, with that backhand he did get to number 1 in the world shortly after winning the U.S. Open--and oh, he is still a top 5 player! Not bad...

I'd love to hear your thoughts John. I have a feeling that you'll make me wait for that, like the rest of the Tennisplayer community. Regardless, thanks for inspiring me to look into this issue.

Sincerely,
    Lukman
    Last edited by lukman41985; 07-01-2005, 07:50 PM.

Take a look at these pictures. Roddick and ToJo are both practitioners of the bent/straight combo, but check out the difference in the followthroughs. Observe how beautifully ToJo hits through the ball with his weight moving into the shot and his back arm straightening. Roddick looks a little more off balance.

Edit: For some reason, Getty Images does not allow for their pictures to be linked to other sites. As a result, if you want to see these pictures, look for image numbers 53183844 and 53183837. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Last edited by lukman41985; 07-02-2005, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Lukman is becoming a pretty perceptive analyst. I agree that there is a problem with this variation and grip combo. More on that with some high speed video versus Johnannson and some other guys in a couple of months. Hope andy wins tomorrow anyway--as much as I love Federer, he needs it more to get the idiots off his back.

Comment

That backhand broke down repeatedly. ToJo couldn't come through, but Rog did. I was really going for Andy as well. He looked very dejected. The guy has been busting his ass forever. Rog just loves to keep that ball short! What confidence he has in his chips. Roddick, or anyone for that matter, has very few answers for that play. I hope Nadal was watching! We need you, you warrior!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9333 users online. 9 members and 9324 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X