The Modern Two-Handed Backhand: Building Your Two Hander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Modern Two-Handed Backhand: Building Your Two Hander

Let's hear your thoughts on Doug Eng's article on "The Modern Two-Handed Backhand: Building Your Two Hander."

Another really good article from Doug.

This articles are a real learning curve for me as a coach. Already I'm having success with some of my players by slightly adjusting grip positions and elbow positions.

I am getting some of the girls I teach to keep their elbows bent for a little longer as they embark on the early part of their backswing. I find they can prepare for fast incoming balls more efficiently and their timing is getting better as a result. It seems to make everything a little more compact. Big loops don't seem to work with players below a certain level and result in timing problems - reducing things seems to be a good option for players whose destiny is club or good amateur level...most players, basically.

Very true about mini tennis. The best players evolving from mini tennis here in the UK are starting to look like little pro's as young as 7 and 8 years old. I mean they look REALLY good.

Doug, how do you feel about the racket appearing on the other side of the body on a two-hander...at the end of the backswing? A few of the girls I teach do it. Actually Borg did it. I would to hear your thoughts on this one.
    Stotty

Comment

Thoughts

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Another really good article from Doug.

This articles are a real learning curve for me as a coach. Already I'm having success with some of my players by slightly adjusting grip positions and elbow positions.

I am getting some of the girls I teach to keep their elbows bent for a little longer as they embark on the early part of their backswing. I find they can prepare for fast incoming balls more efficiently and their timing is getting better as a result. It seems to make everything a little more compact. Big loops don't seem to work with players below a certain level and result in timing problems - reducing things seems to be a good option for players whose destiny is club or good amateur level...most players, basically.

Very true about mini tennis. The best players evolving from mini tennis here in the UK are starting to look like little pro's as young as 7 and 8 years old. I mean they look REALLY good.

Doug, how do you feel about the racket appearing on the other side of the body on a two-hander...at the end of the backswing? A few of the girls I teach do it. Actually Borg did it. I would to hear your thoughts on this one.
      Hi Stotty,

Personally I like not too much of a loop. I was concerned how Christina McHale would do with her large swing which can work at the junior level but she's done well. Timing is an issue especially as you face big hitters. So you hit the nail on the head. I like what you are doing with the girls.

About the racket on the other side: it's definitely better than on the forehand (where lots of players used to lay the wrist back and the racket falls well behind...problem is that the wrist can't flex and roll as well...try it...it tends to stay locked). On the backhand, usually it's a sign of relaxed dominant wrist/hand. However, in the case of Borg, it's more an anomaly of grip (Borg was unconventional). He did it with the racket head up (at shoulder height) and had to bend the left elbow severely due to the grip. In his older years (if you watch him now), it's a more conventional backhand. Ana Ivanovic uses a large loop and does come back well behind her hips on the backswing by rolling the right wrist. Borg accomplished it differently by bending the left elbow severely back. So it's a different type of backswing. His right wrist was more firm and his left arm did less work than today's backhands (especially on WTA).

Best,
      Doug
      Last edited by DougEng; 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2356 users online. 18 members and 2338 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X