Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tennis

Let's hear your thoughts on Keith Hayes' article on "Family Tennis."
    Last edited by johnyandell; 01-22-2012, 06:07 AM.

Sparky

Meet Marco...my youngest...we call him "Sparky".

He was seven we I took this clip. We play together all the time. He loves tennis. He's flatfooted and moves like Daffy Duck but that doesn't matter because he plays for fun and that will always be his leaning...he will never be competitive...he can't see the point.

I have no trouble playing or coaching him because of his nature. I can see that some parents may not be able to coach their own children because it will invariably lead to arguments and heartache. I feel I am lucky in this respect.

Sparky is now 9 and our relationship is much the same. I have a similar relationship with my oldest son who is 14.

I have one piece of advice for coaches coaching their own children. Quit any session immediately if it turns the slightest bit sour or parent/child personal. Warn your child you will do this if a situation arises...and always, always carry out this threat. I once travelled 5 miles to my tennis club and left after about 5 minutes on court when a tantrum broke out. Sure, it was frustrating to drive all the way back home, but lay down strict ground rules, carry then out, and you will rarely have problems.
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2838 users online. 9 members and 2829 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X