Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serbian Novak Djokovic and Serbia

Serbia has 3 finals this Sunday

-Tennis-Australian Open (Novak Djokovic)
    -Water polo European Championship (4 time world champions, Olympic gold..)
    -Handball European Championship finals (world champions, Olympic gold...)

Serbian most successful sport is basket ball though (winning various FIBA World Championships).
    Most popular sport in Serbia is Football (that would be Soccer in US), and they haven't won anything big in decades
    Volleyball is popular too, they have a lot of gold medals (world champions).

The most interesting part is, the country has only around 5.5 million people! Very very poor country too, not to mention all the wars they have been in, in last 2 decades.

Ok, now I am talking too much about non-tennis stuff...

Great achievement

Yes, amazing a country so small can produce tennis players, especially one as brilliant as Djokovic! We are a nation (I'm British) of over 60 million but only produce a great player once a decade.

I think the most successful small nation when it comes to producing tennis players must be Sweden. There population is around 9 million. Look what came out of that country: Borg, Edberg, Wilander, Soderling, Pernfors, Enqvist, Kulti...and that's just a handful, there have been plenty more.

I have no idea which country has produced the most male grand slam champions since the open era began, but Sweden must be up there with the bigger countries.
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3207 users online. 11 members and 3196 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X