Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip replacement surgery

Hi friends,
    Lots of things have been happening in my life lately, so I haven't posted in quite awhile.

Unfortunately, I need replacement of my left hip. Going under the knife next Wednesday. Decided to go for it, since tennis has been getting progressively more painful the past 12 months, explaining also why my mobility was not so great.

Been tough not having being able to play tennis the last three months. About one of the worst things that can happen to a tennis player. Have to admit, I had a bit of the blues, but now that I took the decision, am feeling optimistic again.

The technique is non invasive and hopefully will be back on the courts in 2-3 months. Same surgery as Jimmy Connors had...

Regards to all, and sorry for having not been active... Wish me luck! Thanks!

I do wish you luck. And since misery loves company, I'll say that I've been having physical therapy on my left leg at Cottage Hospital in Grosse Pointe, Michigan here.

While I haven't had a replacement, I'm probably not far from one. But my brother-in-law had both knees replaced yet hit a home run in seniors softball his first time at bat after recent recovery.

So best of luck again. A lot of people do very, very well.

Comment

Good luck

Good luck with your op, Phil. I've really missed you on the forum...and I'm sure many others have too. I used to love all your posts...especially those retro ones.
      Stotty

Comment

Best of luck, Phil

First of all, I'm glad to hear from you at all.

Second, hip surgeries are one of the very successful procedures for orthopedics. There are a lot of stories about guys coming back to win National Senior titles after hip replacements. Just be sure to follow through with the rehab. And I'm sure you will.

Keep us posted on your progress and you can pass a little of your down time by "posting" some of your wonderful little gems.

all the best,
        don

Comment

Thanks guys....

Comment

Best Wishes

Let me join the others in extending best wishes for the procedure and speedy recovery. You have been missed!!

Comment

Good luck

Good luck with your hip replacement. I play 4.5 senior league with 2 guys that have had full hip replacement. I am sure you will be back in no time!

Mark

Comment

Phil,

You are one of the immortals. Based on what I've heard you will improve due to this procedure. Necessary but almost an unfair advantage. Take care my friend and we have appreciated and look forward to your posts.

John

Comment

Pluck and verve...

The forum is not the same without you because you are one of us. We miss you beyond words. All of us hope for a speedy recovery for you and look forward to hearing from you. Keep us posted if you can...we care about you!

Steve aka don_budge
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks friends, when I get back from the hospital, I'll stop by to say hello. Who knows, maybe my racket drop on my serve will get better after a long break...

Comment

Your shoulder might loosen up with a little r and r...

Comment

Connors had hip replacement surgery a couple of years back, and now look:

Comment

Use some alpha lipoic/acetyl carnitine to help recovery. Laugh every day. It's the best medicine. When you come out the other side, know you will feel and play better than ever. Believe and it will come true. (A secret martial art method, is to stand, knees bent, feet straight, and to raise one arm to the side overhead, and to bring it down your center towards your waiting hand, twisting as it comes down, form a ball with both hands, and then to do the same out the to other side, with the other arm, and bring it down to the center waiting hand, and to visualize that which you have lost, returning to you, and to feel the power begin to form in between your hands, like a ball of energy, as you continue to alternate from side to side, bringing the twisting hand down to face the other, and to enforce your will into the gathering palms. As you bring hand down, sink into the earth, and as you bring arm up, rise up to the sky. Returning money, love, loss of property, loss of body or soul, matter not. What matters is the purity of your own intent, and the force of your own will.) To this end may your purpose be made true. Every day, do this for the rest of your life and we will see the benefits come.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Faster please...

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Connors had hip replacement surgery a couple of years back, and now look:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIoLQw3DbrQ
                            Yes, but Jimmy seems to have slowed up some...I wanna see you moving more like this little fellow:

Stotty

Comment

The Darkness...

In times of darkness and in times of pain it's good to know that there are those who care about you and are pulling for you. I feel your pain Brother with all of my heart and stand beside you...thinking of you. We can be there for each other, even in cyber space. We are brothers in a way...united in a common love. Of the game. There are bigger games as well. Healing will take time...it is natures way. But know that you are lucky that such treatment is available...there are many things that cannot be cured. You will be back on your feet in no time...knowing what a tough, hard headed guy you are. You are going to be alright Phil...Godspeed!
                              Last edited by don_budge; 02-08-2012, 01:28 AM.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8002 users online. 1 members and 8001 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X