Supination on 1HBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supination on 1HBs

I've heard from some people about slight "windshield-wiping" on 1HBs (supination to pronation on forehands, pronation to supination on backhands) for adding topspin on.

I ran through the stroke archives. Federer doesn't appear to do this for backhands, neither does Justine H-H for that matter. However, Mauresmo and Haas both seem to use a little.

But Federer and Justine both have Eastern backhand grips, while Mauresmo and Haas have full Easterns. So I thought it might just be a result of the grip difference.

But when trying out the full Eastern to see if it naturally caused this, it didn't really.

So is this extra supination a large difference in added rpm on topspin?

I could be looking at the strokes wrong or analyzing poorly. But from testing what was natural (happened unconsciously) with the grips, I found Haas and Mauresmo supinating a little more (I identified this by the racquet pointing noticeably more to the side after the swing than what I found was "natural").

Would this supination be something to emulate in adding topspin? Or is it more of a quirk or unnecessary for many?

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7612 users online. 3 members and 7609 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X