Give him a dollar for every step.
      Brevity is the worth enemy of clarity

Comment

NO excitement today?

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        Give him a dollar for every step.

is maybe more exciting,NO?

Comment

Give him a dollar for every step, too. Give you a dollar for every step.
          Give me a dollar for every step. When you're teaching your grandson, tell him he gets a dollar for every step. If this isn't clear, send me a private email and I will explain this since I see you're having trouble. Seen the new Three Stooges movie yet?
          Last edited by bottle; 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Take as many steps as possible when you're practicing footwork. Tell yourself each one is worth a dollar. Not my idea. But it's a free idea.
            Last edited by bottle; 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

This is About Dimitriov's or Anybody's Footwork

Personally, I think a tennis player would have to be insane not to want to watch all 17 of these Pat Dougherty free videos. On any of them, just look for the number 17 and click there to see the others (until the number goes up of course).

But you might be reasonable to ask if the Bollettieri Academy is paying me a fee for this free advertising. The answer is no, I just think this is useful information for me and others and would be even if one disagreed with every single point.

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                My argument is that a basic tenent in regards to footwork is, that a player should strive to play with there feet apart as much as possible. That is, to play with shuffle steps as much as possible and turn and run (or crossover, gravity step) only when it's absolutely needed. It's not really a sprinting game, i.e leaning and running.
                Last edited by 10splayer; 02-26-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Footwork

Switching gears a bit-
                  good reference for related conversations
                  is
                  a DVD by Brett Hobden "Technical solutions to tactical problems:
                  How to teach the modern game"

Comment

I just accidentally got an e-mail from David Bailey on the related subject

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                    interesting, because I'm involved in a thread over on talk tennis forum concerning this player and footwork in general. My argument is that a basic tenent in regards to footwork is, that a player should strive to play with there feet apart as much as possible. That is, to play with shuffle steps as much as possible and turn and run (or crossover, gravity step) only when it's absolutely needed. And in typical fashion, nobody agrees with me or puts much interest in what i have to say. Lol.
                    I just accidentally got an e-mail from David Bailey on the related subject
                    Please see below

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:02:18 -0400
                    To: <juliantennis@comcast.net>
                    Subject: julian Dominate The Court - Lesson 39

Hi julian,

The first recovery step WILL vary!

The type, number, intensity and technique of the FIRST recovery step used after making a contact move will depend on a lot of factors. Because of this, it is important to train a variety of first recovery steps and not only have the skill to do these different steps efficiently and effectively but know which steps to use when and where. Following are some different examples of common first step recovery footwork and the best time to select them. Of course selection will depend on age, level of athletic ability and personal preference.

1. Shuffle (feet stay apart and base is wide)- use when having to move a short distance
                    quickly
                    2. Side skip (heels clip and base is narrow) - use when in control and opponent is at
                    baseline. Side skipping helps keep flow and momentum with your movement.
                    3. Pushback (push back off front leg after a step down) - use when opponent is at net and
                    you don’t have time to bring trail leg through aggressively.
                    4. Front crossover (drop step inside foot and cross in front with outside leg) - use when
                    hitting ball down the line (step down) or pushed out wide like a mogul, closed pivot
                    move or low spin. Is used when you need to recover quickly and cover a lot of ground.
                    5. Cross behind (back leg crosses behind front leg) - Federer uses this lot...especially on his
                    backhand side. It is because he really stays on his closed stance for a long time and
                    doesn’t bring his trail leg around as far as some other players. He does what works for
                    him!
                    6. Running steps (use 1, 2 arm drive to run to next ball…don’t hold racket)-use after you
                    have hit the ball on the run or thrown up a lob (power move). You pump the arms to aid
                    recovery as you are in trouble and must recover quickly and explosively.

Remember, to move well you need to be a great athlete and have the ability to control your feet, balance and posture and use whatever step suits the situation so you are balanced not rushing or reaching for the next ball.

By the way if you haven't yet ordered your copy of the Bailey Method Pro Pack, you can by clicking here: http://www.thebaileymethod.com/Home-Study-Course.html

You'll quickly learn how to dominate the court with footwork moves that take you to the perfect position to hit the ball well and then recover your position to be ready for any return

In Tennis,

Comment

wow...what an incredible display of great footwork. I will definitely show this Dimitrov video to my students. It certainly can't be poor footwork that's holding Grigor back from being more successful at this point in his career
                      Florian Meier
                      www.onlinetennisinstruction.com

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8051 users online. 1 members and 8050 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X