Developing an ATP Forehand Part 1: The Dynamic Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    What do you mean? Science and literature have reached a new synthesis.
    hA, ha. I thought that only occurs in my articles. The diagonal load is interesting, as is the forearm flip. Some nice video clips as always.

Comment

I never knew how to explain(mechanically) exactly how the racquet face progresses to contact. I would just say that the arm and forearm
      would naturally transition to contact after the drop without intentionally squaring the racquet face. After 40 years what fun you are bringing to every coach and student.
      Thanks to you, Brain, and Rick.

Comment

Geoff,

Yes a similarly involved and (at times) mildly tortorous process...but worth it in both cases...

Comment

wrist speed contribution

Originally posted by jasonfrausto View Post
          Julian,

I did not receive an email, atp_tour@hotmail.com. If you could send it again that would be great, it might have gotten caught up in my junk mail by accident.

Brian,

Thanks for the long response in regards to the questions that people have, I think we're all looking forward to reading more about the analysis in part 2.
          horizontal wrist speed contribution to the speed of the tip of the racket is around 25 percents

Comment

Probably about right. But if I understand Brian this is created by forces in the swing with the muscles connected to the wrist actually working against it to slow it down. Again we can wait for the article but conscious wrist snap is probably not a reality in good forehands.

Comment

These boys are whipping their fh so fast they don't make McDonalds fry cooks look slow. Flip the burger, the forearm, and the stick. And do it diagonally.

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                horizontal wrist speed contribution to the speed of the tip of the racket is around 25 percents
                Julian,

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the second article will be interesting to read and I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

The Real Deal?

Comment

She looks great!

Comment

Thank you!
                      Last edited by holyhobo; 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

The source of 25%

Originally posted by jasonfrausto View Post
                        Julian,

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the second article will be interesting to read and I'm really looking forward to it.
                        The source of the number 25% is from Fig 3
                        of

Comment

First things first. Footwork has to be there to defend the contact point. The unit turn is the most common thing with the elite players, and that is identical in all of them. That quick sideways turn off split allows a full diagonal load with the non dominant arm, and backwards load with the shoulders. Once in this attacking position, that allows them to more quickly rotate the core, the shoulders, and hip leading out, dragging the shot, just like in the serve motion.
                          The most important difference between elite and lower players found in this study was the following, imho.:
                          "Nevertheless, the high
                          performance players reached their maximum pelvis angular
                          velocity significantly earlier (-0.093 ± 0.012 s)."

"The results indicate that the
                          tendency towards higher horizontal shoulder and racquet
                          velocities in the elite group were caused by significantly
                          different timing patterns of maximum angular pelvis and
                          trunk rotations."

So we are talking about 1/10th of a second earlier max. velocity reached by the elite players. On average. You can blink your eyes three times in a second, so why would such a small difference in time make such a big difference in ball speed? In that 1/10th of a second, the ball would have left the string bed 25 times. The margins are slim. That is why so many fail at this game. They just cannot rotate fast enough nor consistent enough.

And what do the best players do under the worst pressure? They rotate faster, hit harder, turn earlier. That's what makes them the best. Whether it's training, or genetics, or I don't know what, it's a gorgeous thing to see on any level, when a player decides: "I am going to win.", and rotates accordingly.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Picking nits!

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
                            First things first. Footwork has to be there to defend the contact point. The unit turn is the most common thing with the elite players, and that is identical in all of them. That quick sideways turn off split allows a full diagonal load with the non dominant arm, and backwards load with the shoulders. Once in this attacking position, that allows them to more quickly rotate the core, the shoulders, and hip leading out, dragging the shot, just like in the serve motion.
                            The most important difference between elite and lower players found in this study was the following, imho.:
                            "Nevertheless, the high
                            performance players reached their maximum pelvis angular
                            velocity significantly earlier (-0.093 ± 0.012 s)."

"The results indicate that the
                            tendency towards higher horizontal shoulder and racquet
                            velocities in the elite group were caused by significantly
                            different timing patterns of maximum angular pelvis and
                            trunk rotations."

So we are talking about 1/100th of a second earlier max. velocity reached by the elite players. On average. You can blink your eyes three times in a second, so why would such a small difference in time make such a big difference in ball speed? In that 1/100th of a second, the ball would have left the string bed 25 times. The margins are slim. That is why so many fail at this game. They just cannot rotate fast enough nor consistent enough.

And what do the best players do under the worst pressure? They rotate faster, hit harder, turn earlier. That's what makes them the best. Whether it's training, or genetics, or I don't know what, it's a gorgeous thing to see on any level, when a player decides: "I am going to win.", and rotates accordingly.
                            Picking nits here a little bit, Geoff, but (.093 sec) is more like 1/11 of a second, not 1/100. That is significant. What you say, however, is no less true.

don

Comment

That was a typo. I knew it when I left the house, but had to go work for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                                I think Larry makes a great point here. You need to complete the turn of the hips and even, to a certain extent, the shoulders before the arm moves the racket in that explosive move forward to the ball. The hips and shoulders should turn from the position where the hips are at least perpendicular to the net and the shoulders are even further back than that to a finish where the bellybutton is basically facing the net. Some are quicker than others, but the I think the hand is quicker than the hips, as well as the eye. We generate power with our hip turn and thereby use our core and leg power, but in the sequential firing of the kinetic chain, I think the hips and shoulders need to go first. I'm always trying to get my juniors to feel the power they get from their core and legs by making them through medicine balls or feel the power of an uppercut punch with an isometric exercise at the contact point, but I understand that the reality is that by the time the racket gets to the ball, the legs and shoulders have done their work and the energy is just being released into the ball and directed by the wrist.

I loved the article and I'm dying to see the 2nd article about the true function of the wrist. As much as this treatise elucidates the importance of getting inside with a stretch-shortening cycle, I am still a little unsure of one of my basic questions: "Is Federer's forehand as great as it is because of or inspite of that little wiggle he does at the beginning of his downswing?" Clearly, he is benefiting from an exaggerated stretch-shortening cycle, but there are a lot of huge forehands that manage to incorporate the stretch-shortening aspect to their stroke without that wiggle. (I think Bottle calls it the "mondo". I've never been entirely sure.) I feel like that contributes to his propensity to go off and miss a lot of easy forehands. We used to have a lot of discussions about that on this site, especially with Air Force.

Finally, I think it is important to recognize their are other advantages to that little "loop" that drops the racket into the "slot". Tennis is a lot more than power. In the moment when that racket head is traveling through that path, your inner computer is feeling the position and orientation of the racket and of the racket face. It is thereby more able to make the necessary millions of computations it goes through to make the racket meet the ball. And the rhythmic feel of that motion (please, I am not advocating a rhythm hit) relaxes the body and gives it a chance to respond "Oh, yeah. I remember this. I know how to do this. I've done this a million times before." That is a clear advantage over the simpler straight back and down backswing that is still taught to a lot of beginners. And when you drop into that little loop from a Type III ATP forehand backswing, you are able to generate momentum directly at the target from the beginning of the swing instead of only after the Type I backswing stroke has turned the corner. These aspects may be a little harder if not impossible for Brian to measure, but they are still very important in understanding the importance and advantages of that ATP style forehand.

don
                                Yeah, one of the things I've found helpful for students is to just start with a basic overview of how a multi-segmented swing actually works. IMO, any sort of stretch shortening is based on the body "leading" the movement, and the arm and hand "following" (in large part working in the opposite direction) That can be a challenge for those who are rooted in more old school, "unitary" torso/arm rotational patterns. It just doesn't create the kind of speed or stretch reflex response.

In this regard, IMO, it's important to teach a student (in a multisegmented sense) how to separate the body movement from the hand/arm movement. That is, that they work principally in opposite directions. The body turns and loads in the backswing even as the hands and arms stay in front. (and prevented from rotating externally). In the forward swing, the body unwinds, even as the hands and arms are allowed to work backwards. Simplistic I know, but for those students who work the body/arms "back together/forward together" it can be helpful.

You make a great point, about the difference in speed capability between the arm and body rotation. The torso is a large machine, that takes time to wind and unwind.(comparatively to hand and arm speed) There is always a danger of the hands outracing, (or leading) the torso. That is the very essence of "arming" the ball, which one sees everyday in clubs across America. That's what I was alluding to in a previous post, about the importance of proper sequencing. And how the body (in many cases) is beginning it's forward rotational cycle even as the racquet is being laid down in the backswing. This ensures the body will "lead" and place a "load" (backward rotation) on the arm. At least potentially.

Anyhoo, just my 02 cents. Yeah, i agree, this should be a great series of articles. Gordon is a genius as far as I'm concerned. And so are you I might add. I am always interested in what you have to say.

P.S. You can call me Larry, even though that is not my name.
                                Last edited by 10splayer; 05-24-2012, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7858 users online. 3 members and 7855 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X