Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Carillo mentioned "John Yandell and tennisplayer.net", 3rd game of french final.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Carillo mentioned "John Yandell and tennisplayer.net", 3rd game of french final.

She said, "John Yandell of tennisplayer.net rpm studies showed that nadal hits his forehand 3300 rpm and as much as 5,000!" Nice plug for the site. She also mentioned Djokers forehand rpms. I think I hit about 1800 rpm on my back hand, when hitting flat. When hitting for top, it's about 2800. I think most top one handers hit about 2000-2200 rpms flat. But it's interesting to note, that one of the top commentators sees the inference: higher rpms on clay rules. The rougher surface causes the ball to bite the ground more, and have a higher angle of trajectory off the bounce. Favors those who keep their energy and their weight forward, in front of the incoming shot. When Nadal gets behind, such as when a good shot goes near a line, he still is able to dump his answering shot deep down the middle, and often is able to go on offense, from a behind position. Joker's energy was not to the front today at start of the match, as his foot work and energy was slow and kept him behind the incoming shot. Even when he was ahead of the shot, he made too many errors off the attacking mode off his forehand, due to his energy only speeding up during the attacking shot, not kept fast the whole duration, before, during and after the shot was made/missed. Nadal keeps his energy fast the entire duration of the point.

None of the expert announcers noticed how fast the slippery clay had become, or attributed that speed of surface to Djokers resurgence. Nadal had never seen the balls skid on french clay like slick grass before, and it's not a coincidence that he lost 8 games straight, nor that he complained about that to the tourny director. He said, "No I don't. It was like this an hour ago, so why now?", regarding stopping the match, and poked the director in the chest with his index finger. If they slow the court down overnight by redoing the clay, Nadal wins. If not, and they have to keep it covered, it stays fast and Djoker wins. 70% chance of rain Mond/Tuesday, and 40% for Wed. Match may be cancelled due to rain if it does continue.

It's more of an advantage to Nadal to wait overnight. Smart of him to bitch and quit playing, although Djokers knee got hyper extended three times from slipping, maybe he will default tomorrow due to that injury. He needs his doc Igor Cetkovic back to give him scio electrical injections again.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM.

Yep nice of Mary! She emailed to say she was going to use the info--obviously I was thrilled.

Comment

Great publicity for the site, and well earned, due to her knowledge of the rpm studies. Murray wanted his rmp rates. I'm sure a lot of pros know and read the site as well.

Comment

Why wouldn't she?

Word gets around. Interesting that she found one aspect that she referenced. RPM studies. I wonder if she reads the forum. Hi Mary!!! It's me...don_budge.

Why wouldn't she mention "The Man" and his website? I read it everyday. I encourage my favorite students to read it. Det är jättekul! It is really cool!
        Last edited by don_budge; 06-11-2012, 11:44 PM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I didn't see anyone mentioning fyb, or tennisone, or etc. Robbie Koening also mentioned it during a broadcast. I wonder if Mary has anything to say in an article? Maybe what it's like to deal with players behind the scenes. Hey, Mary, who pays their stringing bills and who doesn't? I'll bet she knows that! Mac made a comment, "Lendl was the first guy to make these stringers millionaires!" Pretty hard to be a millionaire at $25/pop, mac. I heard (don't know if it's true,) that a certain someone often had to have his stringers bills removed from prize money due to non payment.

Comment

Not a bad idea to interview Mary! I may try in Cincy.

Comment

I'll bet she would have something to say about sending our juniors to Barcelona, like Sloan Stephenson. The world used to beat a path to our door. Now it's the other way around.

Questions for Mary: Why are Americans no longer dominant in the game?

Why can't we win on clay?

Are rpms more relevant on clay than on grass? Do flat shots with less rpm belong only on fast surfaces?

Will anyone else win a slam other than fed/djoker/nadal?

Why does Nadal pick at his butt all the time?

When are they going to outlaw Sharapova style grunting?

How does she see current state of the game evolving?
              Does she miss the serve volley days? She won a french with mac, when he was 18 or so. Those were the days of edberg/becker/borg, and even borg serve/volleyed all the time at wimby, with a stick that weighed 410g, each, 50 of them identically customized by Lenart Bergelin. Strung with gut at 80lbs. All the serve volleyers used heavy frames Sampras at 389-385g Borg at 410g Becker at 400g Edberg at 395g. Mac was the one on the lower end. Now that would be a question I would ask her, frame weight with the serve/volleyers, vs. the wts. today, and how that wt. change has made the spin game more effective along with the frame/string evolutions.
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-16-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2659 users online. 3 members and 2656 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X