GOAT's and Rosol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOAT's and Rosol...

All during Wimbledon 2012, as the way opened up for Federer to win his 17th grand slam title, the pundits, at least over here on the BBC, couldn’t leave the Greatest Of All Time topic alone. And McEnroe, who commentates on high profile matches for the BBC, was the worst culprit. He finally declared Federer must be the GOAT on the 8th July 2012.

Along the way, pundits also mused over Rod Laver and what he might have achieved had he not been locked out of grand slams for five years. Fair comment.

But I dislike all the whole GOAT debate and find it meaningless. I mean if you take the two men in question, Federer and Laver, and ponder certain scenarios, the whole GOAT debate becomes questionable:

Suppose Nadal and Djokovic had been around at the start of Federer’s career, do you think he would still hold the 17 grand slams that he has today...hmm...seems unlikely. Odds are Nadal or Djokovic would have helped themselves to a handful of those 7 Wimbledon titles of his. Come to think of it Djokovic might have helped himself to a couple of Nadal’s French titles too. Out of the 34 slams the three players have so far won between them, it’s probably fair to say they would by now have an even split of the rewards...had they all risen on to the tour at the same point in time.

But what about Laver? Pundits argued his plight during the whole Wimbledon fortnight. But it’s conceivable Laver might have won fewer than 11 slams rather than more. Why? Because Laver won six of those slams as an amateur in the early sixties. Had Gonzales and Hoad been eligible to play, it’s likely they would have snatched those titles from under Rod’s nose. After all, Hoad and Gonzales beat Laver convincingly once he finally joined the pro tour. No one ever seems to consider this scenario, certainly not McEnroe.

Laver avoided other greats of his era because of the pro/amateur divide. Federer kicked off his career in a duff era and managed to get 7 slams under his belt before Nadal came along...followed by Djokovic who has slowly become better and better. It’s not Federer’s or Laver’s fault, of course. You can only play who’s in front of you. But you understand my point here...

What saddens me is the name Pete Sampras never featured once in the GOAT debate during the whole Wimbledon fortnight. He could play a bit that bloke. How quickly time forgets....

If I had to choose a GOAT then I choose Rosol. No one has ever played tennis like his fifth set against Nadal...the highest standard ever seen...makes him as good a candidate as any.
    Last edited by stotty; 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM.
    Stotty

Good idea. Let's give it to Rosol. About Roger, though: Much in non-slip movement and stroking patterns for any shrewd tennis player to emulate.
    Last edited by bottle; 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

For licensedcoach

Please see

post #7
      It is a bit different topic however,sorry

Comment

rosol - naa!

JohnyMac got to talk about something - he is more interesting than most of the talking heads - it's a crime that they don't talk about Pete S, probably because he was so low key, and not always the most inspiring of players - Fed. is more marketable - sadly, well at least in contrast to Pete -
        and on Rosol - have to disgree - Nadal's topspin was just sitting up waiting to be smacked - the lovely strawb. and cream, and warm bear wet summer - played havoc with the heavy footed, overspin crowd.

Comment

How's that disagreement? Rock beat scissors in the most dramatic upset in the last two centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
            JohnyMac got to talk about something - he is more interesting than most of the talking heads - it's a crime that they don't talk about Pete S, probably because he was so low key, and not always the most inspiring of players - Fed. is more marketable - sadly, well at least in contrast to Pete -
            and on Rosol - have to disgree - Nadal's topspin was just sitting up waiting to be smacked - the lovely strawb. and cream, and warm bear wet summer - played havoc with the heavy footed, overspin crowd.
            I don't think Nadal played badly in that 5th set. I'd like to watch it again, actually, just to confirm the marvellous display was as good as I thought it was the first time round. Yes, the court may have been a little heavy. It was an incredibly humid day and when they closed the roof the moisture became trapped inside. How that affected things I don't know because I wasn't there. No one really yet understands the roof and how it affects things. Grass courts are a living playing surface. You put the roof on and trap the moisture and you get a different effect each time...so it seems.

But you must take nothing away from Rosol. He walked into the arena unannounced, slit Nadal's throat, and left him to rot on a muggy, humid night. I have never seen anything more dramatic on a tennis court in my entire life. It was sensational. A ruthless assassination.

As to Pete Sampras and his omission in the GOAT debate: Personality should have little to do with it. A tennis purist should judge a player solely on how well he plays, because at the end of the day it's the only thing that counts in the GOAT stakes.

I'm sticking with Rosol as my GOAT. That fifth set beats any player who ever played the game, in any era, on any surface, period.
            Stotty

Comment

Your GOAT advances...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
              Good idea. Let's give it to Rosol. About Roger, though: Much in non-slip movement and stroking patterns for any shrewd tennis player to emulate.
              The march of tennisplayer.net GOAT candidate Lukas Rosol continues...as he catapults himself into the second round of the German Tennis Championships with a victory over Viktor Troiki...5-7, 6-3, 6-4. This should silence some of the naysayers. Those who are saying the Lukas was a one trick pony with his upset victory of Nadal at the Wimbledon Championships.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Bastad?

Where's Bastad? Tennis Channel put the Swedish Women's Open in Bastad. And the guy in the high chair looked like a real Bastad.

Comment

Nadal and Djokovic at 25/26 don't have anyone to worry about in the 20-24 age range, whereas Fed at 25 had to worry about Nadal, who has been a stud since 18, and Djokovic, who has been a stud since about 20. Nadal and Djok are benefitting from an incredibly weak generation of players coming up. In previous generations there would always be at least one stud in the 20-21-22 age range.

Comment

Thread Jumping...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    So many would agree with you...no question...but my point has been missed in this GOAT business...which was:

If Nadal and Djokovic had been around at the start of Federer's career, what is the likelihood he would still have his 17 slams? I say very slim indeed. More likely the 34 slams they collectively hold would by now be evenly split between the three of them. That's why I can never subscribe to this GOAT business.
                    Yes...well my point in the Wimbledon thread was not so much to make a case for G.O.A.T. for Roger as it was to point out some of the "would have's" and "could have's" that actually did take place to once again cement his position on top of the food chain that is modern day men's tennis.

I am not one who is much on the Greatest of All Time Speculation seeing as for the most part arguments can be made for a man who dominates his field in any given period of history but those same articles are likely to turn to useless drivel nine times out of ten when you start speculation across different eras. Plus there is the tendency to believe in all of the modern day hype. Today's now generation is more egocentric than ever!

But now I feel it is time to concede to Roger his legacy of the future...he has fairly and squarely dominated his era as well as humanly possible. Just as the case was made for Richard Gonzales in this article that I found somewhere deep in the tennisplayer.net archives. Roger Federer has racked up some very impressive numbers and the fact that Djokovic and Nadal were not around at the beginning of his career is not Roger's fault or his responsibility. But that being said...I have always maintained that men's tennis during the last ten years or so has a historical lack of depth compared to some bygone eras. The dropoff after the top four has been pretty steep for some time now.

Even so...G.O.A.T. discussions are for the most point useful for only those that do not have anything better to do. They don't really serve much of a point or a purpose as they are mostly speculative in nature. This great sport has had so many great champions throughout it's storied history that have dominated their era...the great feature of tennis is that there is room for all of their stories and their accomplishments. But a couple of them stand out in my scope of the game and in my mind's eye...they would be Richard Gonzales and Roger Federer. I would take Gonzales in five...on any surface at any given time.

Too bad we will never see a match between those two titans of swing. I guess that we will have to settle for the upcoming 2012 U.S. Open Championships. If I were Annacone, I would get Roger a new racquet as an early Christmas present. He may have a slightly better chance of escaping a similar fate as last years execution in front of the New York throng.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

smaller head

Who wants Fed. to use the larger head - I don't know that when I saw Pete. in his era with his small head among all those large 95ers plus- if anything I feel there might be a trend reversal in the near future (next 10 years or so) to smaller heads - now that the technique has evolved- primarily the larger follow through - I think the the modern materials and strings on the smaller head 85, 80 is the direction- look at yonex pushing their new 89 sq " head - I tend to think that Fed. and Pete. have an unfair advantage - certainly their record speaks for itself - besides economics is likely to drive the size down.

Comment

Equipment really counts

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
                        Who wants Fed. to use the larger head - I don't know that when I saw Pete. in his era with his small head among all those large 95ers plus- if anything I feel there might be a trend reversal in the near future (next 10 years or so) to smaller heads - now that the technique has evolved- primarily the larger follow through - I think the the modern materials and strings on the smaller head 85, 80 is the direction- look at yonex pushing their new 89 sq " head - I tend to think that Fed. and Pete. have an unfair advantage - certainly their record speaks for itself - besides economics is likely to drive the size down.
                        The draw panned out nicely for Federer at Wimbledon - he needed that. Roger has been in a grand slam drought for 2 years. Why? He is playing as well as he ever did, isn't he? Sure, Djokovic and Nadal have got better, that's true. But Roger ought to try upgrading his racket like the others have. He could do with that extra surface area to hit with.

Reducing the size of racket heads would be gong backwards technology-wise. I cannot see that happening.

Many great champions of the past, understandably, were reluctant to part company with the racket that got them there in the first place. Look at Borg. He stuck with his wooden racket when others were changing to more powerful, more sophisticated equipment. He even made a comeback 8 years later with a wooden racket!! What a fool.

Roger should definitely change his racket...those extra centimetres could make all the difference.
                        Stotty

Comment

really

really - don't know how you can say that - when the three including Borg, most prolific players of our era , used smaller racquets than the rest of the competition - could their techniques not suit the larger frames - must be considered.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2513 users online. 2 members and 2511 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X