No announcement yet.

The Swinging Volleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's only a matter of time before the uni grip becomes standard at the net: full western and continental to cut down grip change time. Since I already employ it, this is something I could learn and add to my game, although it would take a lot of practice and intensity to do so. I've trained the continental so rigorously, and have hit so few swinging volleys. I'll bet someone like Stepanek could do it, or Llodra, or Isner or Harrison.

Comment

One-handed backhand swinging volley?

Scott, excellent article on de-mystifying a rare shot, and I expect a follow-up article on the "Tweener" next. But seriously, I think that this shot is probably underutilized in club play, and like the overhead smash, it sends a message to the guy on the other side of the net.

I don't think I've seen the master Federer hit a one-handed backhand swinging volley before. If anyone could hit "one," I guess it would be Fed.

Any reason, you think? Thanks, Pedro

Comment

Swinging volley...a rarity

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        There's a place in the game for swing volleys...just a small place though. Very occasionally it's the right thing to do.
        I stand by this post I wrote some time ago now. I was right first time.

I watched around 5 hours worth of tennis at the Foro Italico and saw just one swinging volley, made by Djokovic. It needn't have been a swing volley as the ball was falling vertically from a height and a crouch smash would have worked out best. He nearly fluffed it.

I am also beginning to doubt this spin business as a reason not to go to the net. I visit Wimbledon every year and plenty of players are hitting fairly flat and with no more spin than 10 years ago...or so it seems to the naked eye. Federer hits loads of backhands that only have a modicum of spin as do other players. I haven't witnessed world-class tennis on hard courts and no doubt it's different there. On grass, I still think serve and volley could be a dominant game style if someone had the skills to do it.

I think the tennis world has duped itself in to thinking that players cannot have an all out net game. Federer swarming all over Murray at the Aussie Open showed, to me, that it can be done.
        Stotty

Comment

I stand by this post I wrote some time ago now. I was right first time.

I watched around 5 hours worth of tennis at the Foro Italico and saw just one swinging volley, made by Djokovic. It needn't have been a swing volley as the ball was falling vertically from a height and a crouch smash would have worked out best. He nearly fluffed it.
          Indeed Stotty is right. I watched quite a bit of the Italian Open and saw few if any swinging volleys. Interestingly, the player you might think would be one of the biggest users of this shot with his heavy forehand, Nadal, is one of the best examples of rushing as far forward as possible whenever a ball floats; and once he gets there, he knocks off either a volley or a crouch overhead, but I have yet to see him hit a swinging volley on one of those closes.

don

Comment

Self Deception...

I think the tennis world has duped itself...
            Moreover...I believe in this comment.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I am also beginning to doubt this spin business as a reason not to go to the net. I visit Wimbledon every year and plenty of players are hitting fairly flat and with no more spin than 10 years ago...or so it seems to the naked eye. Federer hits loads of backhands that only have a modicum of spin as do other players. I haven't witnessed world-class tennis on hard courts and no doubt it's different there. On grass, I still think serve and volley could be a dominant game style if someone had the skills to do it.

I think the tennis world has duped itself in to thinking that players cannot have an all out net game. Federer swarming all over Murray at the Aussie Open showed, to me, that it can be done.

Thank you Stotty. Nice post.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7872 users online. 5 members and 7867 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X