Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please compare with Tsonga

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
    I love the graphics in those clips, Julian. Finally, I understand what Doug Eng meant when he refers to the "boot".

But I still think Mardy's hand is too far behind his body on his forehand. I recognize the importance of the ssc, but he is creating momentum away from the target and he has to overcome that. I think that has to reduce consistency and accuracy even thought the power loss may be mitigated be the longer length of the stroke approaching contact. And I do think there is also a loss of power.

don
    please see

Please stay in shade.

Comment

Hand position

Originally posted by jperedo View Post
      its more about racquet position relative to the body plane as oppose to hand position. Its all about getting the ssc effect from the flip. Fish is using this flip.
      Isn't the racket position governed by the hand/wrist position?

I have struggled to follow this thread in terms of the relevance of the hand position causing errors. I've looked at Federer's hand position in the archive and, yes, I can see the difference between his and Fish's, but I cannot see why the anomaly would cause errors as is thought.

(Don, how is Fish's hand position "creating momentum away from the target"?)

I think the racket head/tip pointing forward so late in the backswing is a complexity likely to cause errors.

I have found this thread interesting, however. The more I see Fish's forehand, the odder it looks.

We need a bunch of those fancy red lines to compare Mardy's hand position with other pro's.

I say bring in BG on this one.
      Last edited by stotty; 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
      Stotty

Comment

Take a look at these two: Fish and Fed

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Isn't the racket position governed by the hand/wrist position?

I have struggled to follow this thread in terms of the relevance of the hand position causing errors. I've looked at Federer's hand position in the archive and, yes, I can see the difference between his and Fish's, but I cannot see why the anomaly would cause errors as is thought.

(Don, how is Fish's hand position "creating momentum away from the target"?)

I think the racket head/tip pointing forward so late in the backswing is a complexity likely to cause errors.

I have found this thread interesting, however. The more I see Fish's forehand, the odder it looks.

We need a bunch of those fancy red lines to compare Mardy's hand position with other pro's.

I say bring in BG on this one.
        Stotty, I agree with you that the racket head tip is a potential and probable problem. But try looking at these two clips to see the difference and the somewhat more circular nature of Fish's approach to the ball. True, the racket head doesn't more as much inside, relatively, as his had does, but it still moves a lot more inside than Fed's. I don't know. Your point about the tip of Fish's racket head may be more important and causing the flaw I am seeing here, but, for me, clearly, there is a flaw in Fish's forehand. He can't change it completely; too late. But I do think he could reduce it a little bit and that might help him find a more effective forehand.

Here are the comparable clips. Try to grab the handle and run the clip quickly through the part of the stroke we are talking about, back and forth. It would be nice to have some red lines up there on the path of the racket head, but if you run it back and forth quickly, you will see the difference in the paths.

Fish arm action, Inside/In, Rear view 2, 240 fps

Comparable grip
        Roger Federer, arm action, Inside/In, rear view 2, 250 fps

don

PS One of things I really liked in the clip comparing Tsonga and Djokovic was how stable Djokovic's head was through the stroke. No question, Djoker has a more stable and reliable forehand even if Tsonga's may at times be a little bigger.

Comment

Arm straightening is more a part of transition in Fish. Arm straightening is more a part of a unified backswing in Federer and Djokovic.

But who seriously gives a flying fish unless it's a person monkeying to improve his own forehand? The more I detect the lack of this connection the more I feel I'm reading scholarly blooh-bah or excessive "classification."

I now regret suggesting that a forehand aspirant should thread a bamboo pole through his elbows and behind his back the way a golfer sometimes does to develop proper feel for the solidity of the pre-sling part of the forward forehand.

One ought to thread the bamboo pole through elbows IN FRONT OF THE BODY instead since a main idea of the new research which has infused us all is to keep one's forehand on hitting side of the body at all times.

This thinking relates to John Yandell's work on renewing John McEnroe's serve as well, where John was telling John to keep the arm action on hitting side and not let it get behind the back.

One irony in all of this is that the more one fools with placing arms at different points ON HITTING SIDE, the greater the opportunity for increased body turn whether from stance, step-out or anything else.

In Julian's film in # 16, Djokovic lifts his elbow to begin the backswing (not to begin the unit turn) just the way that Federer does.

Well, why is it important to say something like that? Because most players don't know it! They throw their arm around at that point like there's no tomorrow. They don't keep elbow still the way Djokovic and Federer then do to establish solidity in the swing.

Comment

A stretch-shortening cycle or stretch-shortening CYCLES

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
            I love the graphics in those clips, Julian. Finally, I understand what Doug Eng meant when he refers to the "boot".

But I still think Mardy's hand is too far behind his body on his forehand. I recognize the importance of the ssc, but he is creating momentum away from the target and he has to overcome that. I think that has to reduce consistency and accuracy even thought the power loss may be mitigated be the longer length of the stroke approaching contact. And I do think there is also a loss of power.

don
            Don,

to digress a bit multiple stretch-shortening cycles are possible here
            INSTEAD of single stretch-shortening cycle.

Possible groups of muscles are:
            1.biceps
            2.triceps
            3.muscles of forearm
            4.muscles of shoulder

To some degree elbow extension maybe related to those
            multiple stretch shortening cycles
            Those cycles are probably overlapping
            A quote from the book
            Muscles for forehand acceleration
            Forearm pronation-forearm pronators
            Elbow extension/flexion-biceps
            Upper arm internal rotation-latissimus dorsi,pectoralis major,subscapularis
            Hand flexion(forward)/hand flexion(sidewards-toward little finger)-wrist flexors

If you know more on this subject please let me know

Regards,
            Julian
            Last edited by julian1; 08-01-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I guess my post didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                I guess my post didn't happen.
                It certainly did happen.

Arm straightening is more a part of transition in Fish. Arm straightening is more a part of a unified backswing in Federer and Djokovic.

I read that well. No one writes these things like you, bottle.
                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2272 users online. 7 members and 2265 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X