Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer's Handle on Hewitt

John,

While watching Wimbledon, I learned that Hewitt won most of the earlier matches he played against Federer - until Federer figured him out and won every time after that.

What did he figure out? What do you think he does differently that now enables him to dominate Hewitt every time they play?

You saw the matches, right? Or some of them? I really don't think it was a matter of "figuring." More Federer evolving into the player he could become. He covers the court as well as Lleyton (or maybe better). He has more power and more variety. He serves better and he can use the net very aggressively and effectively. He plays great defense. That's talent and the will and the confidence to use his entire arsenal--not some magic strategy he figured out.

Comment

That's what I figured. The announcer mentioned Federer 'figuring him out', so I wondered if he made some kind of adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
        You saw the matches, right? Or some of them? I really don't think it was a matter of "figuring." More Federer evolving into the player he could become. He covers the court as well as Lleyton (or maybe better). He has more power and more variety. He serves better and he can use the net very aggressively and effectively. He plays great defense. That's talent and the will and the confidence to use his entire arsenal--not some magic strategy he figured out.

I agree, Federer just took his game to a different level and improved substantially over the last few years. At this point for Hewitt it has to be beyond frustrating because no player has ever owned him like this in his career.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7833 users online. 10 members and 7823 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X