What is a Teen Phenom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Teen Phenom

Would love to hear what you thought of Robert Lansdorp's interview, "What is a Teen Phenom?"
    Last edited by johnyandell; 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM.

Listen...it's Robert speaking.

Nice interview John. The key to being a great conversationalist is many times the ability to ask poignant questions.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing a lot from Mr. Landsdorp but I do know that he likes you to take a respectful tone when you talk to him. He commands your respect. Listening to him in this interview he confirms a couple of things that I believe. I had the great fortune to working with a teen phenom many years ago in bottle's current neighborhood.

Aaron Krickstein was a teen phenom. He exhibited the characteristics that Robert expounds upon in the interview. Dr. Herb Krickstein was a masterful father as well as mentor. He even assumed the same role in the development of his granddaughter Morgan Preissel as a golfer. She was a teen phenom as well.

But in my opinion...Aaron did not reach the pinnacle of his potential because of a decision to send him to Nick Bolletieri. When we parted ways Aaron was at a point in his development where he should of transitioned from the junior game to the professional game. I don't believe that he ever really did...despite the phenomenal results that he did have.

Robert Lansdorp touches on a couple of key points when you are blessed to be part of a teen phenom's rise. He mentions the incredible gift of timing and the natural competitive instinct. Good points. But he also mentions that the phenom must be fed as well. Perhaps if Aaron had gone to Robert instead of Nick he may of even reached a higher summit. The only aspect that kept Aaron back may of been the discipline it would of taken to make the necessary changes that were necessary in the transition from teen tennis to men's tennis. Robert...with his tough and gruff ways may of been able to impose this on a teenage Aaron for example.

I have never seen timing like I saw in young Aaron. He hit the ball like a God at fourteen years old. He was a winner like I have never seen. His whole attitude was about winning. He was never out of a match. If he had a weakness it was the sort of one dimensional quality of his game. He was too predictable. Even so...his opponent could know what was coming and Aaron would still prevail even at the highest level of the game. His timing and competitiveness were that good.

Most importantly...it was the good Dr. Krickstein and his lovely wife Evelyn that supplied the young phenom with everything that he needed to develop his gifts. If only he had gone left instead of right...when he veered into the path of Nick.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Key thing for me here is the word "coachable"...many talented players funnily enough aren't. Talent alone is no guarantee of anything. If a child is talented and coachable then there is a good chance you're on to to a winner.

The key thing Robert missed out is maturity...maturity in every sense...both physical and mental...Teen Phenoms need to be ahead of their time. Advanced maturity is essential ingredient for a Phenom.

The timing issue is universal to all world-class tennis players whether a Phenom or a later developer. It just goes with the trade.
      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2665 users online. 7 members and 2658 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X