Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice To Beat Pushers

Practice to win against pushers.

Relax and look into your upper body so that you can stay relaxed during matches without thinking about it, as they will try to jam your internal rhythm with short slices or moon balls or slower balls right down the middle, short and easy to lay up for hitting, or weak serves that they then gloat over your misses.

Drill a lot with lots of cross court shots off both sides..

Do a lot of serving and returning: deciding where to hit each shot before it's ever hit.

Play inside the baseline which forces them to hit deeper and takes away time from them as they quickly realize you are putting your thumb on their forehead two feet inside the baseline, and now instead of being a weapon, all those short slices are easier for you to reach and hit well off of.

Realize what they are doing is designed to jam up your game/INTERNAL BODY RHYTHM: so practice against slower balls, and all those shorter balls you miss so ofthen, and their ever present slices, and they will hit you lots of lobs when you come in to attack.

Come into the net dtl against their back hands and be ready for their ever present lobs.

Take a lot of overhead practice, as you will be facing tons of them.

Don't fall into their grinding consistency game plan, as they are better than most at just not making any mistakes while you beat yourself.

Take it to them with some harder hit shots.

Give them some of their own jamming medicine: change your shot variety up: lots of slices/moon balls, short and deep shots such as drops off drops (they will drop off their bh all day off a cc rally), and then mix in a flat shot (which they don't ever hit due to its risky nature).

Practice these with internal attention: look at your upper body and its energy flow and its speed of coil. Keep your energy high on slower and also shorter shots, and move/coil fast no matter what the ht./depth of their weak crappy shots, as they are counting the most on your ues on those jamming shots.

Practice your own serve so it's very reliable at least to their bh, which they will slice predictably.
    Be fit, as they are often insanely fit due to their defensive game plan demands a lot of running while you punch your self out.

Punch them out instead, but your practices have to structure around preparing the above.

If you come in with a weak shot, they will suddenly be the ones to be hitting winners and gloating. Come in only with a good shot dtl to their bh. Then watch the lob or the short slice to your ankles, or they will often pop up the pass and gloat as you miss an easy volley off the slow sitting pass because you jammed up, didn't move your feet, didn't eat the volley, didn't go after it with power and speed in your feet. Stomp on the volleys and put the first one back dtl, unless the cc is 30% more open. (15% less distance for them to pass dtl and 15% more distance for you to cover dtl adds up to 30% more chance a dtl pass off cc volley will beat you.) You also have to learn how to back up if a good slice is hit to your ankles, and not just keep going into it. Stop, back up, and hit a ground stroke off those good slices, as their only weapon now is a liability, a short ball you are attacking off ground. You have to attack the net to really beat them up. They will often start serving volleying just to keep you away from net and change a losing game. Show them what a great serve return looks like: a rifling topspin pass, as none of their serves will have any pace, only some spin, so keep your hands/ arms higher on returns and anticipate a higher strike zone and hit down on the easy spin serves.

Remember that they are counting on your body work slowing down on their slow shots off passes and shots that lay up dtm. Keep in mind that your body and feet have one speed alone to defend: a fast coil and a faster uncoil. This is the single biggest factor for your practice sessions. Pick pushers to practice against and work religiously on that one internal rhythm: speed kills pushers.

Use psych on them as you can be sure they will be using it on you. Stay even keeled after even the easiest misses, and show them you have no concern and will win anyway. Show them who is boss and feel it inside. You are going to jam them better due to your flat shot ability, slice, moon ball kickers than they can jam you with their two forked attack: short slow slices, and high slow moons.

Pushers win at every level due to their abilities to jam you: with defensive shots, high percentage game, speed of foot, insane consistency, and be the better jammer.

Don't fall into the mental trap of thinking, "This guy sucks. He can't hit a good shot.", and then, when you go down in score, get mad at yourself for missing. Realize going in his whole one plan is to place you in that frame of mind: upset, frustrated, jammed up internally. That is why practice is so important for keeping your relaxed state internally so that you can attack with fast feet/coil/uncoil no matter what the slow shot demands. Mix in all those shots they use, with your own normal shot plan of going for it.

Practice jamming sequences: first a moon ball to their fh, then a slice to the bh, then a flat shot dtl. Short slice, deep moon kicker, and have that set in your mind before the point starts. Very often they don't have good volleys or overheads or approach shots at all, so they relie on answering drops with drops so be ready to kick it.

That is what the game is about, not the score card, and the pushers never improve. They only see the score card as the valid measure of how good they are. Be the one that improves his game, his frame, his string, and keep score this way: "Did I improve during that match?" "Was I relaxed in my upper body?" "Did I keep my feet moving fast and coil fast, uncoil fast?" And let that be the measure of self loathing. If you did not, then feel like a loser. The score is only relevant to improvement and the proof thereof. Sampras lost 19 times in a row when he changed to a one hander. I have never lost 19 times in a row, and if I did, I might have quit or felt bad about the game as worthlessly difficult. Yes the push game is difficult to face, as you are really only facing your own body's tendency to slow down on slow incoming threats. Slow threat+slow body=ue. REalize that ahead of time and decide to train for it, and you will learn to destroy them with their own strategies: jam their bodies and minds better than you jam your own.

See my points on defending your contact point.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM.

Definitely agree about approaching the net, Geoff. The easiest way to beat a hacker is to get to the net behind decent approach shots...providing you have the volleying and smashing capability...bit of a lost cause if you don't.

Of all the strategies for beating hackers, getting to the net is the quickest and most efficient strategy.

It's just such a shame that net play is in decline. Even in world-class tennis players don't follow up great shots to the net for an easy kill. Instead they opt to stay back and playing another ground shot, or two, or three...and sometimes end up losing the point. The world-class game has deteriorated significantly in this respect, with Djokovic being the worst culprit...his forecourt game is sadly lacking.
    Stotty

Comment

God damn the Pusher Man...Steppenwolf

The bane of technique freaks. The Pusher. Be careful though and don't underestimate a high percentage tennis player as a pusher. These guys are deceptive at all facets of the game a lot of the times. Subtle facets such as playing defense, neutralizing points and keeping the ball in play. A "pusher" is merely testing your patience and betting on his ability to keep the ball in play one more time than you on any given point. When playing a pusher your technique just might break down due to the tentative nature of the points. Do you have another alternative in your bag? Revert to "Opportunity Attacking" and "The Art of Winning" or refer to geoffwilliams synopsis on annihilation of the "Pusher Man". All relevant to subduing this unwanted pest but highly successful tennis player.

Afterall there is something to be said for a "W" winning ugly over a "Loser" who is playing aesthetically beautiful tennis. Keeping the ball in play is still rule #1. Tennis is in the end a bottom line proposition...win or lose. Unless you are playing strictly for fun. But what is that? In the end...they don't ask you how, they only look at the draw sheet to see who advances. Don't you think so?

As a last resort read Tilden and listen to what the master has to say about the bane of all tennis players...in some manner, shape or form you have got to maintain pressure on this pest of an opponent at all times.
      Last edited by don_budge; 08-19-2012, 01:15 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What a great piece by Geoffrey Williams. I even like the term "ue," which has a horrid reptilian feel to it. And perhaps that little bit of zero at the bone is what all players need when they make their unforced error. Anything but to shrug it off. They can APPEAR to shrug it off but can play the next points to avoid another one, which might be hitting softer or going all out-- did lack of decisiveness have something to do with the miss? But of course they must get over the ue quickly, too. The disgust, internalized, can be deeply felt but very briefly AND WITH A POKER FACE. The bane of all of our existences could be not taking our errors seriously enough before we quickly move on.
        Last edited by bottle; 08-19-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

The reptilian ue. Seriously local to anyones' game. Even the best pusher of all time hits tons of ue. UE, or a YouEE.

Comment

It's always errors that cost us wins. Most of those are not forced. The best way to stop/lower those ue, is to stop jamming your internal body clock rhythm. The upper body clock engine has one job, and the lower engine has another. Very different in feel. Upper engine has to coil, uncoil, and strike with the lower engines' power/set up/load. Ue happen most often due to a disconnection with upper/lower job/speed for the incoming shot. Timing also has its role, and when to let it go has a lot to do with how high the incoming shot is.

Those who are naturals at the game are more connected/drunken loose up top/fast, and samurai fast/choppy on the footwork/load.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              Definitely agree about approaching the net, Geoff. The easiest way to beat a hacker is to get to the net behind decent approach shots...providing you have the volleying and smashing capability...bit of a lost cause if you don't.

Of all the strategies for beating hackers, getting to the net is the quickest and most efficient strategy.

It's just such a shame that net play is in decline. Even in world-class tennis players don't follow up great shots to the net for an easy kill. Instead they opt to stay back and playing another ground shot, or two, or three...and sometimes end up losing the point. The world-class game has deteriorated significantly in this respect, with Djokovic being the worst culprit...his forecourt game is sadly lacking.
              Us open final when joker had Nadal, serving in the third set, and he had a short ball to his fh, and all he did was safely hit it cc, and Nadal cracked a bh dtl, which joker did the splits on to try to reach, when he had an open dtl approach, and let the long point go to Nadal, and that almost cost him the match. Players who only hit ground strokes in matches lose out on a lot of fun and variety. Lots more skill to master the net due to so many easy shots that are missable if you don't treat every ball as one that can beat you. Too many slow down on slower incoming shots and then miss them due to their slow internal body clock speed. If you are going to go to net, you better be mind right/fast.

Comment

Ues are mostly caused by energy errors. Internal energy flow is blocked. Or careless attacking shots that don't have margin. The pusher knows how to bloop the ball over the net with little or no pace and just get it back. The top spin pusher just hits lull shots the whole time until you come in and then they are forced to gun it.

Comment

Internal rhythm

Insightful piece.. I kept on going back to all the matches I played against my friend( a pusher), and how precise you were and how I just got the timing wrong, used to a faster ball, I compounded UE, and lacked the attitude and tactics you mention in your article.. and now I am going to increase my volley, overhead game practice situations to have more solutions available without forgetting to practice slow balls. This is well worth an article and perhaps a series on how to beat: all court players, players that cover the court playing basically only forehands,etc. Other topics that you could perhaps share is how do you train your serve. I find you are very insightful and practical and your approach to the game is fantastic.. even tough not all you say feels natural to me.. I tried your 1 handed Bh, it didn't feel confortable to me, specially because I need to save the left arm(I'm L handed) and am more ambidextrous..speaking of which, I have been trying to find my internal rhythm on the serve...and being left handed and right leg dominant, I struggled with the conventional platform or pin point stance but I found that if I start with my back left foot, on my heel and as I move on to the toes of the left foot bring the right foot forward into a narrow platform stance, and toss the ball as I flex my knees, it feels very natural to me and I get a really nice trophy position feeling...which I have been focusing and not getting the feeling before( chest up, stretch on the front side of the body, glutes tucked in,knees bent, heels of the ground)..now it feels that I can explode up into the serve Have you seen this kind of footwork in the serve?
                  Thanks,Alexandra

Comment

Yes. Lots of pin point servers bring their feet up, like Lendl, who brought it up to the outside of his front foot, which caused him to not be able to coil fully, and to place his hamstring at risk trying to.

The serve starts first with the toss. J tossing, from the crotch, up and slightly forward is how most top servers do it: Those who have a bad toss don't hold onto the ball long enough and are using a .22 caliber instead of a rifle. Toss is extremely important for consistency, confidence, ability to relax under pressure. No one gives it enough attention.

Serve is all about frame speed. Most don't move their hand fast enough or wrist fast enough to coil the frame back and downwards.

Many lag the shot, until after the leg drive starts, forcing the frame to "catch up" to the rest of the motion. (Becker, Fed, Sampras), although Sampras looked like he did not pause, his leg drive is starting before his frame ever reaches vertical straight up. This is done to create vicious whip lash, as Sampras put it. First learn to whip lash, then learn to put it on the line.

Got to coil your shoulder and back parallel to the baseline, so you can achieve full coil. Not enough coil=not enough power or frame speed.

Work on your quick twitch speed with a flex bar, http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...eqnpw_bbending it into a U turn, and twisting shoulder to shoulder very fast. Work up to 200 in a row at full speed twisting. Aim for three twists/sec. You can speed up quick twitch this way if you intend to and do the painful work. (Burns you up good.)

Work on one thing at a time.

Video tape yourself so you can see the progress. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8f6o4gyh3r_b

Pronate forward, not down.

Fully reach back towards the net with your dom. shoulder, and fully use the shoulder to then internally "snap off" the shot. Coiling back is external abduction, and then leveraging the snap off is internal abduction.

Use ice immediately if you hurt your elbow/shoulder/wrist.

Lots of other tips.

Pronate forward not downwards. (Pronating is turning your forearm 180 degrees. Wrist cannot pronate, in can only wave bye bye, but it can add speed if timed with forearm rotation.

It's all about speed in both second/first serves. Don't slow down the motion. No speed without relaxation and intending to be fast.

Archers bow, back arch, elastic coil, toss position at contact, type of serve, type of practice, all deserve a full article.

Not talked about so much: energy and emotion/attitude. Develop an attitude even if not yet deserved that you are a dominant bad ass ball striker.

The problem most women face is: shorter arms/legs=less kinetic pathway. Even the tall men have deep knee bends. Many women would be better served with longer frames, as their return reactions don't need to be as fast, due to slower serve speeds, yet, the longer lever arms of longer frames best manifest in faster serves.
                    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I bring my front foot back, not the usual pinpoint stance I see..On a count of 3, 1, I am going with my weight onto my backfoot, then on 2 my front foot slides back towards my back foot, I then toss and at the same time advance the front foot slightly,as I transfer my wt to the front foot.It feels very confortable and gives me rhythm.
                      I will buy the flex bar and thank you for the great tips.
                      Speaking of rifles, I built up the nadal babolat to 340g but really felt like a huge change from my 300 g previous racquet, so now I'm playing with 324 g would you consider this a 22 caliber? I'm a senior player, are not most pro women playing in the range of 300 to 330?
                      One last question is it ok to string with a 1.1 mm mains and 1.2mm crosses? I asked for 1.1 volkl cyclone but received 1.2.
                      thank you,
                      alexandra

Comment

Any good player should play with the heaviest frame they can manage. It also has a transition time, like getting used to graduated wt. increases. First play a few months with that wt., and then go up, and try the higher wt. Top men use 360g, like: fed, berdych, Tsonga, Joker, murray, delpo, and Nadal is the junior at 341g. The cyclone gauge is ok. Best hybrid with tour bite 18g for spin/power. It's not possible to hit heavy balls with such a light frame, but it is possible to hit high spin, just not high mass.. The top women like Henin and Serena use very heavy swing wts. .
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

How much wt is high swingweight?
                          I didn't understand can I mix cyclone gauge 1.2mm in the crosses with MSV hex 1.1 mm in the mains?
                          Thank you,
                          Alexandra

Comment

Cyclone with tour bite 18g mains. Serena and Henin both over 350g swing wt.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3194 users online. 10 members and 3184 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X