Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Holding the Ball"

John,
    Thank you again for enlightening us on the issue of "hitting out front" and "hitting the ball early". It's really made a difference in my game. I was wondering if you could clarify what it means to "hold" the ball. Commentators love to use this term with great players. AJ has actually talked about how Federer, Nadal, and Gasquet seem to "hold" the ball. Have you heard this term? Have you considered what it meant? Thanks in advance!

You can't "hold" the ball. Unless you can bend the fundamental laws of the universe like "Q" on Star Trek. (Hate that guy, and wish Jean-Luc would stop falling for his transparent manipulations...)

The ball is going to be on the racket strings for about 4 milliseconds and that's immutable. Period, sorry. It's not lacrosse and the spaghetti racket is illegal. What AJ is refering to is "holding" the shot. By what that really means is not telegraphing the shot. And what that really means is the same set up, the same "look" in the preparation, and the same timing of the start of the foreswing. In other words, nothing in the look gives away what you are about to do.

A lot of people think a player is "holding" the ball because they can blow a shot past them. They either are outclassed, or they aren't reacting to the ball, and so they attribute magical powers to the opponent. That's better than having to admit you just got a big fat whipping...

Comment

I used to think "holding" the ball meant longer (or at least, seeming) dwell time. So while you're pushing through the ball, it's easier to control than say, without the extension or when you're just trying to brush around the outside edge for some reason.

I'd have to agree on the magical powers part. Sometimes, all of us just need excuses.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7722 users online. 10 members and 7712 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X