2012 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bottle View Post
    Laura Robson beats Li Na. Was in Canada and didn't see it (although they do have TV's up there), but Kim played well. So I would have to say that these two results came from Laura rather than from her opponents.
    Laura played well...deserved it....no one can quite believe it this side of the pond. The good thing is it gives hope, hope to a set of girls over here that sometimes beat Laura...makes them believe they might be able to achieve significant wins too.
    Stotty

Comment

What have you done for me lately?

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Laura played well...deserved it....no one can quite believe it this side of the pond. The good thing is it gives hope, hope to a set of girls over here that sometimes beat Laura...makes them believe they might be able to achieve significant wins too.
      Life...like competitive tennis tournaments much of the time boils down to "what have you done for me lately". Laura Robson is soon to find this out. She has had a glorious couple of days and surely she deserves to bask in it a bit. But guess what...it isn't like that realistically speaking. The funny part about the whole thing is that her two wins over top ranked players means absolute zero right now as she prepares to square off against Sammy Stosur. Is it my imagination but are the women starting to look more like men? Except for the haircuts some of them look like they need a panty check...or at least some testing for testosterone levels.

Actually this sort of conundrum about "what have you done for me lately" is about as close as these professional babies will ever get to reality. Just think... being paid a king's ransom to play tennis. It's Biblical. They will never know what it means to have a real job. Go to work everyday at Ford Motor Company and have some knucklehead for a boss that is so far up you back side...screaming at you..."what have you done for me lately? Have you saved our blessed company from the abyss today? No...well get busy! Harder...faster! Move you idiot!!! The Chinese want to work ten days a week with a fraction of the pay you get! Get the lead out you sand bagger!!!"

Celine was right about that too...in his "Journey to the End of the Night". He worked the line in Dearborn, much as Johnny Cash walked the line of love. The job. Can you say...I love my job. The beauty of it is this is only the tip of the iceberg...wait until you see what they have in store for your children twenty years from now. The Matrix. Andy Roddick is retiring? Give me a break. Good bye. But not yet...not quite yet, Andy. You have some unfinished business. His name is Fabio. The sulky, handsome Italian. If only he could serve and volley like Panatta. And then...Juan Martin Del Potro? The looming and stealthy Argentinean.

Speaking of which...Roger went to work on Fernando Verdasco yesterday and didn't let up until the job was done. Match point...signed, sealed and delivered. One break in each set was what he needed from avoiding the tediousness of a tie-breaker. That was a good yardstick from which to measure by...Roger. You didn't wasted an ounce of unnecessary energy. You are in form and fit as a fiddle. All those Spaniards look so buff could Yannick Noah have the inside dope? Mardy Fish is next and this is a perfect opponent for Federer as he is jockeying for position and measuring his gait...setting the stage. Drama...New York City style. Ba da bing! Ba da bang! Ba da bye! It's theater but there is no script...it's an impromptu. Just like the "To Catch a Rising Star".

I woke up this morning in the beautiful, peaceful Swedish countryside and looked out from my bedroom window at the fields of gold and the forest that is slowly showing signs of an encroaching autumn. I stumbled over to my computer and lo and behold Mardy Fish was still playing the Frenchman Gilles Simon at 6:30 AM here...they were in the third set. I went back to bed and curled up with my chocolate lab Frankie, man's best friend, for another forty five minutes then went downstairs started the morning coffee and then switched on the television to see Mardy apply the coup de gras match point to Simon under the stadium lights in NYC. Good night Mardy...sleep well she said. Even though she didn't really care. Justin Gimelstad all puffed up in his suit and tie trying to get his face to behave right for the television camera...what a weird scene inside the gold mine.

Andy Murray sort of stumbled his way through the afternoon but the difference between his performance and Federer's is clear. His heart was clearly fluttering. Call the doctor, I think he's going to blast...Ivan. Murray is not quite as comfortable and this will not bode well if both are to meet in the semifinals. Roger could of been wearing a top hat and a tux as he tap danced never missing a beat all over Verdasco but Andy never got comfortable...the lefty kept him off balance for the duration of the match. Andy looked like he had two left feet but be found a way to win...and that is what is separating him from much of the herd. The art of winning.

But he is going to face the alpha male sooner or later and that one can smell the fear and weakness...stalking his prey and then he strikes. With lethal force and cunning. The wolf. Going for the kill. As the full moon wanes. Remember Gonzales? The model and living proof. Gonzalez and Federer. Hand in hand through eternity. The annals of history...tennis history. Tilden is the book and Hopman is the coach...tired of hearing this? I'm sorry...it's true. In my world...the world of don_budge. Federer knows he is only as good as his last miracle. No matter what. No matter how many Grand Slam titles he has in the bag. It is no different for him. Even the alpha male plays by the same rules. He knows it better than all...in the end.

I hate to keep repeating myself...but it looks to me that all three of the other players in the current foursome that make up Federer's group look to all be stronger players than the player's in Murray's group. It "almost" looks like a stacked draw. Of course that is impossible isn't it? But there was some talk if I remember correctly about the lack of fairness in some U. S. Open draw. Anyways...moving on. In fact...all of the groups appear to be weaker than Federer's. Particularly that of the fourth seeds...and even the second seeds.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone else out there sees the same things that I do but then as soon as I ask myself that question I realize that the answer is...no, probably not. Maybe one...but then again, she's gone too. Journey to the End of the Night...my Dear. Nishikori never got squarely into the match against Cilic...but that is to Cilic's credit as he looked razor sharp...overwhelming his Japanese nemesis. Martin "Who am I" Klizan over another Frenchman Musketeer...Jeremy Chardy in straight sets...now to face Cilic. An existential moment in the unknown's career. Who am I? Murray against Raonic...any questions?

It's anything but boring now. Particularly if you are a Roger Federer fan or admirer. I am an admirer and not a fan of anyone anymore. I lost that ability with my innocence. There is a difference but I am not certain that it can be put into words. Fans are slightly more gullible I suppose...fans are also more rabid. Admirer's take it for what it is. And in that vein Roger is a lot and he is going to have to show it now. Roger cannot escape that existential question either despite all of his success...what have you done for me lately? For him to win this tournament it is going to be...Fish, Almagro or Berdych, Murray then his arch enemy Djokovic. Djokovic...who slew him before the New York thong on a cool September night...last year.

Roger went away and licked his wounds like the wily old wolf that he is and came back to play another day. Not only that but he is the leader of the pack. That is why he has earned the title of "The Once and Future King". Just like Arthur. If he manages this equation...my goodness! I will admire him even more.
      Last edited by don_budge; 09-02-2012, 12:43 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I watched the first two set of Blake/Raonic yesterday. Raonic was hitting poor old Blake all over the place. Blake found himself defending virtually all the time.

Raonic is not an easy opponent for Murray. They now face each other in round three for only the second time in their career. Raonic won their previous encounter, on clay. If Raonic serves well, he is a threat to anyone.

Yes, the draw is looking more interesting. Shame Rafa is not in the tournament to spice things up. I miss the guy.
        Stotty

Comment

The Third Round...the boys have all been sent packing.

All of the boys have been sent packing and one more round will eliminate anything that doesn't resemble a real thoroughbred. All signs of weakness are glaring invitations to be exploited by the remaining players. No quarter given...none taken. It becomes a primal dogfight at a certain point.

Those discrepancies in the draw become less visible to the untrained eye at this point. Everyone looks formidable and equally menacing. Tough, tough and tougher. What can you say about the remaining sixteen?

Yesterday they played out the bottom half of the draw and no surprise that Novak Djokovic looks as awesome as he did during his nearly unblemished season last year. He isn't just winning, he is pounding his opponents into submission. The Swiss are marching I wrote earlier...Wawrinka gave some credence to that statement. He stood up like a man yesterday to put down the dogged Dogopolov. Sorry Lleyton...true grit was not enough in the end. You ran out of petrol against David Ferrer who is another of those buff Spaniards. Del Potro downed his fellow Argentine which brings us to Andy Roddick.

He is retiring and naturally the inclination on the New York stage in Flushing is to milk it for all it is worth. Last night's match was a perfect scene for his little retirement show and party. It was the tempest Italian with all of that eye candy in his corner. Did anybody see her? I think I am in love again. She made Andy's squeeze look sort of homely. No easy feat. I am having a really difficult time concentrating still...by the way, who won the match?

Janko Tipsarevic is another of the more buff tennis players that have evolved into this era of android physiques. Unbelievable...literally. He waits on the winner of Isner and Cabbage Patch who are in the fifth set as I type this on my Apple keyboard.

There is lots of action left in this baby. The speed and strength left in the draw spells a lot of horsepower. We have "The Andy Roddick Show" which is good for exactly one more match. But of everything that transpired yesterday...the thing that leaves the biggest impression on my is Fognini's departure. I am going to miss her. Fabio is no good for you. He is too handsome and he has too much money. If you read this...Miss Fognini Eye Candy you can reach me at tennisplayer.net. I'll bet you can cook some mean Italian food. I will teach you a backhand that will be the toast of the Big Apple! I promise.
          Last edited by don_budge; 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM. Reason: for her sake....
          don_budge

Comment

Fabios ball girl - Svetoslava Simeonova

i think you are referring to Svetoslava Simeonova
            - Don - you can google image her yourself

Comment

Svetoslava Simeonova...I am sorry Dear but you are just not my type.

Well upon closer inspection (ahem)...thanks to stevenmila, I have come to the conclusion that Ms. Svetoslava Simeonova is not my type. How do I know this? It's just a hunch you see...but I don't think she would cut it in the cleaning and cooking end of things. It's just a hunch. I would be willing to give it a try...on a trial basis. Dreaming's for free...as I always say. From Blondie...Eat to the Beat.

But back to the action at hand...leaving Fabio to deal with the lovely's domestic shortcomings. In the top half of the draw we have had some interesting developments and most interesting of all is the disappearance of Mardy Fish. Sorry to hear it whatever it was. Federer cruises into the quarterfinals without having to lift a finger. This won't effect our champion knight one little iota...and if anything he will know how to capitalize on this unexpected development. At his age he will know best how to pace his body and prepare himself for a clash with the most formidable Tomas Berdych. Berdych dispatched Almagro in a series of descending numbers 7-6, 6-4, 6-1...he got better as the match progressed.

Andy Murray is no flash in the pan that is for sure too. He dispatched the big serving Milos Raonic in straight sets as he did James Blake. He is fit for the upcoming fight and taking on all comers. Marion Cilic waits in the wings and he too looks ready as Cillic sent the unknown Martin Klizan...back into the unknown. Marion looks prepared to put it all on the line but who can doubt Murray at this point. It's too early to doubt him even a little...we must wait for Rodger to cross his path before we can watch him doubt himself. Or maybe not?

Now you are able to see what my issues are with the draw. The tournament has evolved far enough to see that the matchups are less than they would have been if I were making the draw. They are less than optimal. But let's wait for the bottom half to play itself out before making a final judgement.

John Isner is off into the night...dispatched by Phillip Kohlschreiber. Did anyone see the interview with Justin "I am just trying to get my face right" Gimelstab? He always looks like he just inhaled a couple of huge lines and is trying to get his face to behave for the camera. Just kidding. He's a nice guy and knew just what to say to what was remaining of the New York Throng in the wee hours of the morning. Impressive.

Juan Martin Del Potro has accepted the last invitation to Andy Roddick's retirement party and he hopes to send him off with the warmest of regards. The other Swiss guy awaits his pounding from the merciless Djokovic. Novak has been flawless so far. Ferrer and Gasquet? Not a factor in this tournament beyond this round...but who can write anyone off entirely at this level of the game. I can...if he isn't a member of The Big Four...which is now The Big Three without Rafael Nadal.

Svetoslava Simeonova. I love your name and the way that it rolls off of my tongue. Forget that Fabio guy, he's no good for you, Italian men are so fickle...I could whisper my own poetry to you that would make your ears tickle and make your teeth itch...it would make your socks roll up and down while turning your legs into spaghetti. If only you would give me a chance. Sigh. Oh well...always was and always will be. A fool for love.
              Last edited by don_budge; 09-04-2012, 02:46 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

Goodnight She Said...Sleep Well

For me it is tempting to say goodnight. Roger Federer is no longer in the tournament and there isn't a single player left in the draw that gives me the inclination to root for them. Goodnight Dear...it was nice while it lasted.

Berdych vs. Murray
                Djokovic vs. Tipsarevic

Nothing more to say. Over and out.
                don_budge

Comment

Yes, it's always a bummer when Federer goes out...ruins the bloody tournament for me. I feel the same when Nadal goes out or doesn't play too.

Murray did show good tactics and resolve against Cilic. He has a native instinct for what to do at times. I was really looking forward to a Murray/Federer semi final showdown, though, which I now won't get.

At least I have Murray to cheer for.

My wife hates Murray...says he's an ugly sod with funny legs. She has no reason to cheer him on...she's Italian
                  Stotty

Comment

What should have been...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I was really looking forward to a Murray/Federer semi final showdown, though, which I now won't get.
                    I was hoping for a Federer vs. Murray final before that messed up draw. This is what the quarters would of looked like in a perfect world...that is, when good old don_budge is hallucinating and is the benevolent dictator.

Top half:
                    Federer (1) vs. Tipsarevic (8)
                    Ferrer (4) vs. Tsonga (5)

Bottom half:
                    Murray (3) vs. Berdych (6)
                    Djokovic (2) vs. Del Potro (7)

Enough said...goodbye my friends!
                    don_budge

Comment

As much as I respect and admire Federer for his game, grace, fluidity and technical perfection, I'm a big Berdych fan. (See some of my old posts). So this morning I'm a bit torn. Elated for Berdych once again showing his potential and proving he's a big time player and threat at Grand Slams. But sad in a way that Federer will not be getting #18...just yet.

T-Berd has a great shot against Murray. He holds a 4-2 head to head advantage against Murray. Berdych has the game to give trouble to anyone, especially Murray.

As for the bottom half of the draw, well I think it's safe to say Djokovic is the favorite as well he should be. He's gone through the draw with no issues.

When is Murray going to win a slam? I think never. But out of respect to Murray, I really hope I'm wrong.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

the good the bad and the very ugly - no not eastwood

it was sad to see Federer so out of it - he looked positively old to the youthful "blondie" (ala spaghetti western voice) - I so wanted him to win, but even after the 4th set his game was so erratic - the precision timing was missing - it was hard to believe that he would come back - but I watched on with stilted anticipation - hoping for flyovers from JFK of yesteryear - look he is getting old, and I wondered if playing under the lights just makes it that much harder - his inside out was so out or in the net - but anyway, how bout Mr. Murray - I sincerely hope he can pull it together - first one to smile or volley wins...come on Ivan!

Comment

Fed's forehand

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
                          it was sad to see Federer so out of it - he looked positively old to the youthful "blondie" (ala spaghetti western voice) - I so wanted him to win, but even after the 4th set his game was so erratic - the precision timing was missing - it was hard to believe that he would come back - but I watched on with stilted anticipation - hoping for flyovers from JFK of yesteryear - look he is getting old, and I wondered if playing under the lights just makes it that much harder - his inside out was so out or in the net - but anyway, how bout Mr. Murray - I sincerely hope he can pull it together - first one to smile or volley wins...come on Ivan!
                          I re-watched the 2008 Wimbledon final a few days ago. Federer definitely doesn't hit his forehand as well as that anymore (although he was close to it in the last 2 sets of this years final against Murray). He misses more forehands these days and doesn't hit it quite as hard as back then.

I love Federer's forehand. I think it's the greatest tennis shot ever....but it's not quite the shot it was.

Murray will be pleased he doesn't have to play Federer. He will still have to get through Djokovic, though, and that won't be easy. Murray will be hoping Del Potro can pull of an upset today.
                          Stotty

Comment

Federer lost this match by playing sloppily after getting the break in the first set. But, with that said, major credit to Berdych. He played fantastic tennis--very few errors, great movement, and huge shots all over the place.

I agree with Don Budge...tournament is more or less over for me. I will root for Berdych but he has very little chance to get through in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                              Federer lost this match by playing sloppily after getting the break in the first set. But, with that said, major credit to Berdych. He played fantastic tennis--very few errors, great movement, and huge shots all over the place.

I agree with Don Budge...tournament is more or less over for me. I will root for Berdych but he has very little chance to get through in my opinion.
                              It'a a sad state of affairs when we're relying on just a couple of top players to make it through to the semi's and finals. On the odd occasion they don't get through, we switch off the TV.

We really need a handful of upstarts to come through to put some cats amongst the pigeons. We need a brat, we need another Mac.
                              Stotty

Comment

So who is the best American now? Fish? Isner? I think we have hit rock bottom as far as U.S. men's tennis goes.

I am worried about the day Fed retires. My interest in watching pro tennis will go way down. Even when he loses, his tennis is just so darn pleasing to watch.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8092 users online. 4 members and 8088 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X