A lesson with Robert Landsdorp..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson with Robert Landsdorp..

We were vacationing in L.A area when this months issue came out with an article from Robert, and I immediately emailed our JY to get some contact info for Robert and see if we can get couple of lessons for our two sons 14 and 6. JY provided email contact graciously, and I emailed Robert. Guess what after two days we get an email back from Robert with some times for lessons.

From the minute you step into the court you can feel this is not going to be easy. He has rules on discipline, he made pretty clear to my sons that as long as they are in the court with him they better listen to what he says, work hard, etc. they are not used to this right .

It was amazing to see that he is keeping up with the current techniques in top level pro game, he mentioned that he has changed the ways on how he taught Maria and Pete, because those were right for that period of the time and since now game has changed he is also adapting. But still stresses on extreme hard work, muscle memory, discipline, mental believe etc. After 4 hours of lesson from him in two days the kids felt like they were white washed top to bottom.
    He mentioned today's kids are too much into gadgets and want quick results.

Bottom line.. Lot of stress on drills, stroke reproduction, timing the ball, hard work, discipline, focus..etc. would love to visit him again for classes. Still one of the best out there. Still believes in picking any grassroots kid and imparting champion skills unlike some academies where they treat you good only if you have skills already...

Thanks John for the contact info

What a lovely story. Your sons are lucky boys to get lessons with Robert.

Did you by chance video the sessions?

I had a student who took a few lessons of Nick Bollettieri, which his parents filmed. I found it interesting to watch. Nick is a compelling individual with a gift for grabbing the attention of his students. I wonder if Robert is the same?
    Stotty

Comment

Gok,

Great story. Robert described just as I know him...

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        What a lovely story. Your sons are lucky boys to get lessons with Robert.

Did you by chance video the sessions?

I had a student who took a few lessons of Nick Bollettieri, which his parents filmed. I found it interesting to watch. Nick is a compelling individual with a gift for grabbing the attention of his students. I wonder if Robert is the same?
        No I did not take videos, got so carried away did not even think about it. May be next time...

Comment

So did he still stress driving the ball? Did he have the kids finish high and out in front?

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
            So did he still stress driving the ball? Did he have the kids finish high and out in front?
            Finish is between rib/hip area, and yes drive the ball heavy. he had a target area of 1 foot above net for ball trajectory.

Comment

Modern forehand

Is Landsdorp teaching the modern forehand as thought in Gordon's article? The pronated arm rather than supinated in the backswing?thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alexandrafranco View Post
                Is Landsdorp teaching the modern forehand as thought in Gordon's article? The pronated arm rather than supinated in the backswing?thanks
                In the very limited time we had with him, he did not notice anything with the backswing/prep. The kids were finishing the follow thru a little higher. So he corrected that a little by asking them to finish a little lower.

Comment

I see Murray supinates his forearm on the backswing whereas the first 3 ranked players pronate, so with a lot of practice, supination or pronated forearms on the backswing can work but it seems from what I have read that the pronated forearm is more efficient.Have you noticed if your kids forearm is supinated or pronated in the backswing?

Comment

pronation...

I have also noticed Murray does not pronate, I wonder if thats a factor in his weaker forehand of the top 4- there appears to be more snap in the forehand when you pronate on the swing back, and also its easier to have a more compact stroke - the pronation of the wrist takes the place of swinging the arm behind the back - supination will do but I don't think it is as natural to the forehand stroke, it also creates a joint lock in the wrong direction unlike what pronation results in.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
                      I have also noticed Murray does not pronate, I wonder if thats a factor in his weaker forehand of the top 4- there appears to be more snap in the forehand when you pronate on the swing back, and also its easier to have a more compact stroke - the pronation of the wrist takes the place of swinging the arm behind the back - supination will do but I don't think it is as natural to the forehand stroke, it also creates a joint lock in the wrong direction unlike what pronation results in.
                      Agree! and have been noticing at the US Open that the players that have the pronation on the swingback surely seem to have a more stable fh, usually its their weapon.. I played basketball and off the dribble a long fast break pass has the forearm pronated in the backswing, the sling effect ocurring from shoulder internal rotation/ forearm pronation to ext. rotation/supination is very powerful and quick,seems like a very natural movement to me

Comment

So now he is teaching the opposite of the old Sampras videos on this site, where he finishes with his hand way up? Interesting.

Comment

Gizmo's...and Gadgets

Originally posted by gokulms View Post
                          He mentioned today's kids are too much into gadgets and want quick results.
                          He and I are on the same page in more ways than one.
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by alexandrafranco View Post
                            I see Murray supinates his forearm on the backswing whereas the first 3 ranked players pronate, so with a lot of practice, supination or pronated forearms on the backswing can work but it seems from what I have read that the pronated forearm is more efficient.Have you noticed if your kids forearm is supinated or pronated in the backswing?
                            It is pronated a little.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3239 users online. 6 members and 3233 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X