Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than just human: Have a good effect on your practice partners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than just human: Have a good effect on your practice partners!

Respect is the one element most players can never get enough of. It's also something that most of us don't show to competitive partners. We don't want them getting better and beating us under the surface, so we don't show them respect very often or help them with their weak points. Why help them beat us? It's also very common for better players to be creeps about selfish behavior. They treat lower ranked guys with disdain and disrespect as a way of bolstering their own egos in a selfish way. Tude is more common than cooperative practice. Winners more common than rhythm.

If you choose decency over disdain, show up on time. Keep your agreements. Thank each guy. "Hey, thanks for coming over and hitting with me, ______!", and shake their hands each time. Develop a way to complement their great shots that is emotional and true. Thank them if they help you improve any specific shot. Notice their weak points and offer to hit them a ton of shots to it, or just do it. Lots of shots high to their back hands. Lots of short slices. Lots of kick serves wide. Lots of cross court change of directions. Lots of serves to the weak side. Lots of change of pace. Everybody has weak points. Make a habit of noticing what it is and help them shore those up. Be selfless to a degree. Don't be upset when you lose to them. Don't make any bad calls at all. Don't just hit winners when there is an opening to. Offer to hit them volleys or overheads. Pick up balls without being lazy. Go after any out ball and treat it as if it's in. Be one of the good guys in the world and help rather than just win.

Bring new balls. Drive to their home courts sometimes. Enjoy their improvements as if they are your own. Let them know they are getting better. Make positive comments and suggestions. "You are moving better today." "You improve faster than anyone else out here." "Wow, what a get!", and so on. Look forward to practice as if it's a cooperation and fun exercise. Bring fruit for others. Bring drinks and food.

Don't make negative comments even if you think they are deserved. If a player disrespects you by showing up late, let them know it's not acceptable in a way that does not make enemies. Give them some slack, and let them know there is a limit to your kindness.

Do these things as a normal course, and your partners will see you for what you are: one of the good guys. More than just human.

Furthermore

And if you have the opportunity, teach your students to do the same!

Well said, Geoff!

don

Comment

Hey there Partners!!!

I wouldn't mind practicing with you! Anybody that brings new balls to the court is alright with me. Teach your children well...eh, tennis_chiro. What a beautiful thing.

There's nothing like that handshake after a good practice. It signifies respect for each other and a mutual love for the game.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        There's nothing like that handshake after a good practice. It signifies respect for each other and a mutual love for the game.
        100% agree! That firm handshake with sweat on the forearms and eye contact made between two players encompasses everything that has been achieved and the space and time that was shared on the court can never be replaced.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Touch cements the bond that we feel on the field.

Comment

My Favorite Partner...

I have had some really great practice partners. Some of them that I never beat no matter how many times that I played them.

One of favorites of all time was a guy by the name of Jon Hainline. I never beat him. I don't think that I ever took a set from him. He was down there in Florida somewhere...in the Miami vicinity. Last I heard.

I remember one day we were over at the Country Club of Detroit in bottle's neck of the woods years ago playing on the HarTru and it was a misty rain sort of day. Just enough precipitation for it to be precipitation. We were out there alone getting our socks dirty sliding around...he was kicking my ass around the court as usual and somehow the rain was cooling off my hot temper just a bit.

I still swore a time or two...I never did like to lose and I know he was on the other side of the court smiling to himself in satisfaction. I loved that guy! He himself was one of the greatest sports that I ever knew.
            Last edited by don_budge; 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM.
            don_budge

Comment

Jon Hainline is looking for a practice partner.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              I have had some really great practice partners. Some of them that I never beat no matter how many times that I played them.

One of favorites of all time was a guy by the name of Jon Hainline. I never beat him. I don't think that I ever took a set from him. He was down there in Florida somewhere...in the Miami vicinity. Last I heard.

I remember one day we were over at the Country Club of Detroit in bottle's neck of the woods years ago playing on the HarTru and it was a misty rain sort of day. Just enough precipitation for it to be precipitation. We were out there alone getting our socks dirty sliding around...he was kicking my ass around the court as usual and somehow the rain was cooling off my hot temper just a bit.

I still swore a time or two...I never did like to lose and I know he was on the other side of the court smiling to himself in satisfaction. I loved that guy! He himself was one of the greatest sports that I ever knew.

don_budge, you'll be happy to know that I too am familiar with Jon Hainline. He is the Director of Tennis at Fisher Island Resort. Fancy place in Miami. He's from Detroit, dad was a big Auto executive. Jon went to school at University of Michigan (GO BLUE!) and did the law school thing, only to go back to teaching tennis after a career in the auto industry. Guy was and still is a class act. It's a small world.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Practice partners etc...

klacr...well I sort of threw that one out there for you. So nice of you to respond. I thought you might be aware of Jon's presence in the Florida area and you with your Michigan connections and all.

I wouldn't mind hitting it around with you either but I suspect that you are a bit young for me to tussle with at this point although I might be able to throw a few ideas your way...you know, a little food for thought as my dear old coach Sherman Collins used to say. I understand that he is down your way as well. He is another man whom I came in contact with that helped me to determine how to live my life...not that they would want to take any responsibility for my train wrecks along the way. He and Jon...cut from something of the same cloth. I love them both as well as respect and admire them. They broke the mold and don't make them like that anymore.

Tennis is something that can bring communities together. If people gather around together in an activity that they all mutually share good things are bound to happen. Sherman did this for a community in Dearborn many years ago. Such is the nature of tennis. Good tennis players may come from anywhere it seems...there is no cookie cutter pattern to follow.

There are so many men and women that are involved in our great sport it should be a resource around the country and the world for that matter to generate good will. That handshake says it all. Nice playing with you...I love to compete with you because the exercise is wonderful, you are honest and fair with me and we are dancing with the tennis ball together. It doesn't matter in the end if you win or lose, it is how you play the game that counts.
                Last edited by don_budge; 09-07-2012, 12:24 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

Practice Partners to remember

don_budge...Mr. Hainline is an all around great guy and very popular within the South Florida and Michigan tennis circles.

As for my practice partner preferences, I do not discriminate...ever. Old, young, black, white, one-hander, two hander, counterpuncher, serve and volley etc... it simply does not matter. Whoever I practice with I find a way to get the most out of it.

I remember when I was playing in a junior tournament in Tampa when I was 16, I was waiting to begin a semi-final match and had some significant time to kill. 3 men in their late 60's , early 70's approached me and explained their fourth member did not show and if I wouldn't mind jumping in. I didn't even hesitate to say yes. The other naive juniors, their smug parents and even the stretched thin stressed out tournament director/club pro thought I was crazy for doing it and wondered how someone that was a respectable junior that was known for his power and ultra aggressive play could bump the ball back and forth with seniors. To me, the answer was quite easy...I love tennis in any form. Needless to say, the most fun I had at that tournament was with those men. The things I learned and stories I got to hear were classic. I was grateful to be part of this intimate group and they accepted me as if I was in their exact demographic. A truly memorable experience.

don_budge, if you are ever in South Florida let me know. You have a 6'6" 200lb practice partner who favors his serve, volley and backhand over his forehand any day, waiting for you at his private club. Gimme a shout and our session with start and finish with a firm handshake that bookmarks great hitting and 100% effort.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Six feet six and two hundred pounds and young-- I don't know. Play eightball?

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                      Six feet six and two hundred pounds and young-- I don't know. Play eightball?
                      Sorry bottle, The only sports I participate and compete in are tennis, swimming and basketball. All other athletic and skillful endeavors I either lose interest in or am completely useless.

I remember when I was really young, I always had the dream of being a horse racing Jockey, but once I hit 9 years old I became too big.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Doesn't matter. You're hired to row at the number six seat in the eight-oared crew I'm putting together.

Comment

nice story...klacr

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                          don_budge...Mr. Hainline is an all around great guy and very popular within the South Florida and Michigan tennis circles.

don_budge, if you are ever in South Florida let me know. You have a 6'6" 200lb practice partner who favors his serve, volley and backhand over his forehand any day, waiting for you at his private club. Gimme a shout and our session with start and finish with a firm handshake that bookmarks great hitting and 100% effort.
                          That's just great young man. You sound like your head and your game are in the right spots. You are definitely a tennis nut!

I will get to Florida one of these years and be sure to look you up. Thanks for that stuff on Jon...obviously word gets around. He is such a great guy...you cannot say enough good things about him. I really remember how he enjoyed beating me and having that smile on his face as we shook hands at the net. I actually think that I was smiling too...he was that cool.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM.
                          don_budge

Comment

We've all had practice partners that were great guys. No one and nothing lasts forever. Best we can hope for is to have a good effect on a few for a short time.

Comment

So where's Gary Rogers? He's somewhere in Florida, too. I'd say we hit regularly, in Virginia, for about three years, without me ever winning once, maybe took a set. Once I got to the Short Court final of the over 30's in Woodstock-- what a mistake since he knew exactly what to do!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2914 users online. 4 members and 2910 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X