Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Beginner Players

Hey guys,

I thought having a thread like this would be nice because it's probably likely that the majority of players we actually coach and teach are beginners. This could be a place where we can share ideas.

I actually have a question to the Tennis Player community. I recently began teaching two players completely new to the game. They are both 12-13 year old girls. I have just finished the second lesson with them and they are actually doing quite well. When feeding and throwing them balls they're technique isn't too bad. We've covered the forehand and backhand so far. In the first week they had a rally of 10 shots using only forehands in the service box. This week when we tried to have a rally they struggled with controlling the ball despite hitting the feed ball well. They couldn't control the ball that well and this was perhaps due to movement.

My question is, what's the best way of teaching them to control the ball in a rally? I'm using the Green "Midi" tennis balls with them which are softer. Should I bring them back to Orange "Mini" balls for rallying and perhaps even use a mini net. What's the best way to teach "control" of the ball?

Any other thoughts on beginner players could this thread possibly be a good one to keep John? I'm not sure. Seeing as we are always focusing on the more advanced techniques this might be a nice change up.

Jonathan.

Staged progression

Staged progression in the best way to get beginners rallying...you're on the right track there.

Start by rallying just beyond the service box. Once they can regularly hit a ten shot rally with you, move down the court a little further and do ten shots from there...and so on.

Using mini green, orange, or even red balls is a great idea.

I think you have to introduce students to the idea of taking steps to the ball...how to move...and make sure you feed them down the middle third of the court so they don't have to take more than a few steps to make the shot. The main problem with beginners is they tend to dash straight on top of the ball because they think they have to move so much more than they actually need to. Introduce them to the idea they will only have to take a few steps to get to the ball...there is no need to rush...assuming you are an accomplished feeder you should be able to feed to within a couple of steps of your student...you have to suppress their impulse to dash to where the ball is bouncing.

Of course unless you have got to the stage with beginners where they can actually coordinate and connect regularly with the ball, movement to the ball is going to very challenging.
    Last edited by stotty; 09-22-2012, 01:38 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8125 users online. 3 members and 8122 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X