How to Incorporate the Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Incorporate the Approach

Would love to hear what you thought of Rod Heckelman's article "How to Incorporate the Approach".

Rod,

My login pretty much says it all. As a former teacher and now just a club player I have seen more advice and suggestion go under the bridge than it would be healthy to remember. The worst part is that 99% is for naught and just to make the client feel like he is hearing something. But this article gives me a shred of hope that there are coaches out there willing to specifiy a process that works for creating change. Congratulations!

Comment

Approach techniques: A lost art

Remember chip and charge? Remember Johnny Mac attacking Ivan's second serve? The only reason that these techniques have gone the way of the Dodo bird is that at the professional level it's a new world of speed and spin. But for most others, (probably 99.9% of the tennis population) it is a wonderful tactic to use to break down a baseline player or capitalize of on pressuring an opponent. What is really been lost is much of the starting skills towards net and the footwork during the execution of the shot. The starting skills have been compromised by the open stance and the result of a dramatic follow-through on many of the ground strokes. A player who has a more compact stroke that also provides great balance, (remember Edberg and Rafter) have the positioning, balance and time to get that first quick step. To avoid running through the shot or losing your forward momentum and stopping to hit the shot, I often tell students that coming to net with balance and control is like learning to run forward to jump on a skateboard and continue on...too fast and you are going to land on your rear, too slow and you lose your momentum, but handle the task with balance and proper footwork and you have mastered the footwork that supports an graceful approach to net. Hope this gives you some ideas....Rod

Comment

Originally posted by RodHeckelman View Post
        Remember chip and charge? Remember Johnny Mac attacking Ivan's second serve? The only reason that these techniques have gone the way of the Dodo bird is that at the professional level it's a new world of speed and spin. But for most others, (probably 99.9% of the tennis population) it is a wonderful tactic to use to break down a baseline player or capitalize of on pressuring an opponent. What is really been lost is much of the starting skills towards net and the footwork during the execution of the shot. The starting skills have been compromised by the open stance and the result of a dramatic follow-through on many of the ground strokes. A player who has a more compact stroke that also provides great balance, (remember Edberg and Rafter) have the positioning, balance and time to get that first quick step. To avoid running through the shot or losing your forward momentum and stopping to hit the shot, I often tell students that coming to net with balance and control is like learning to run forward to jump on a skateboard and continue on...too fast and you are going to land on your rear, too slow and you lose your momentum, but handle the task with balance and proper footwork and you have mastered the footwork that supports an graceful approach to net. Hope this gives you some ideas....Rod
        Nice article...very relevant to the modern player.

But...

I teach my students the old fashioned way of approaching the net. The sliced approach. I teach them to "semi-linger on the ball" as they hit their sliced approach shot, as running full pelt through the shot will produce errors. I like them to knife their approaches and hit them properly so the ball shoots and stays real low. We have many astro-turf type courts here in the UK, which are quick-ish and produce a fairly low bounce...so slice still works well.

I guess you have mostly acrylic type courts over there...which have killed the game....made it a bit soulless....taken away artistry.
        Stotty

Comment

licensed coach

Although I think the slice on the approach shot works, if used frequently, it invites trouble. I will often tell my players (high school and middle school) to watch for this type of approach shot and be prepared to come in quickly to finish off the point.

Yes, its an "old fashioned" method (slice all the time) that still is used frequently at the rec level on both the approach and backhand side. I watched a match a year or two ago when two senior players (number one in the world vs number one in US) and I didn't see anything but this type of shot on the approach and backhand side. Placement and consistency are important but too much of a good thing doesn't seem to work well with younger players.

I teach my players to hit the ball hard on both the approach and backhand sides but having the option to slice the ball if the opponent stays back or to mix up things. With practice, they master using top spin on both shots. Yes, you can win at certain levels using just slice but IMO, not against very good players who are looking for it.

Comment

Rod, good article and follow up posts. One of my problems, as a coach, is getting players to recognize when they are on thin ice by coming in too far/too quickly only to be effectively lobed or easily passed. If the opponent is given red type shots (I like to use the green, yellow & red system) the player can maintain their serge forward but too often the ball is delivered back to opponent as a green or yellow reply and the advancing player can be in serious trouble.

I like the ball to be angled off in most instances if possible unless opponent stays back but I'll like to hear your take on this. As you know, kids are very fast and its surprising how many good drop shots they can even get too.

Comment

Moving forward

Rod, your comment about the starting skills, as well as your initial drill of starting in no-man's land are consistent with a comment I heard a couple of years ago on Tennis Channel. Edberg mentioned that he only teaches the volley in the context of his student moving forward. Perhaps another factor in the Dodo bird comment is the fading-away of "old, pre-2000 Wimby" grass court tennis where constant forward movement is not optional. I am excited to try your first drill on the grass. Thanks, Pedro

Comment

I only practice the volley while serving. and that puts you under the same conditions you will face in a match, someone trying to put the ball at your ankles,and by you. Edberg also has the lowest split step at net I've ever seen. Almost comes in sitting down on a lawn chair, very wide base, and that gave him more lateral lunge power, and a lower start point to pick up shots at his feet. Miss him and Becker so much.

Comment

Good article, Rod! Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello in Monterey (I did pass by you at a banquet but it's a big crowd).

Doug

Comment

Bring back the Dodo...I say.

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    Would love to hear what you thought of Rod Heckelman's article "How to Incorporate the Approach".
                    Remember chip and charge? Remember Johnny Mac attacking Ivan's second serve? The only reason that these techniques have gone the way of the Dodo bird is that at the professional level it's a new world of speed and spin. But for most others, (probably 99.9% of the tennis population) it is a wonderful tactic to use to break down a baseline player or capitalize of on pressuring an opponent. What is really been lost is much of the starting skills towards net and the footwork during the execution of the shot.

Quite right Rod. Super article! The way to bring back an extinct species is an interesting subject and today one immediately thinks of cloning...but the first step to bringing it back into existence is to think about it and then you must talk about it. Why did it go extinct and how do you bring it back?

Fascinating that here at the TennisPlayer.net this talk has revived such a discussion about volleying and such. But of course no conversation about volleying is justifiable unless you first talk about approaching the net. Afterall, how are you going to get into position to make a volley. You must approach the net.

The engineering of the game with regard to racquets, court surfaces and most recently the strings have all served tennis in a negative way if you wish to consider the way that it was originally conceived to be played. For years one of the most important aspects of the game was the tradition and this permeated the sport throughout from the color of the clothes which were all white for many decades to the equipment and to sportsmanship. It has been an act of extreme arrogance to completely disregard the original premise that the game was designed around and much has gone by the wayside as a result.

If you want to incorporate the approach game in the context of modern tennis one must first understand the logistical problems that one faces in such a rash act as approaching the net. As you have astutely surmised...there is no logical reason why that for 99.9% of the tennis playing population approaching the net should be out of the question. This includes the professional ranks as well. It seems that not only has the game been reengineered but there has been a sort of "brainwashing" that has taken place among the coaches, players and students of the game that says that it cannot be done. Social engineering as well as mechanical engineering.

Of course it can be done, but you must use your head and make astute tactical decisions and choices about how and when you are going to approach and you must train the body and the mind as well as your strokes...to go forwards. Going forwards is an aggressive tactic and with the speed of the game there is no possibility of retreat so one must be decisive when going to the net. You go there to win and not to defend. This is a radical change in thinking compared to the way tennis is being played in this particular era.

That being said please consider the following drills that I have worked on the forum here and at the small club that I work at. I feel that these drills incorporate the "process" of the net game and not just one particular aspect. I work on these drills with my beginner students as well as my more advanced students. The most difficult ball for a beginner to react to is the short ball and deep balls are another situation that gives the beginner a tough time.

If you work with beginners at the beginning of their training in the tennis universe to go forwards it is not such a shock to their system if they should happen to find themselves in the position to go forwards...selectively. Take the short ball...put it someplace where your opponent will find themselves in an off balanced position to make their passing attempt and carry out your tactics and designs with the proper technique.

Before talking about any specifics please consider these drills...use your imagination! We can call this "The Tennis Dance". Everyone grab a partner.

1. Both players start at the baseline and one of the players advances to the net hitting balls with a rallying partner who keeps the ball going. The advancing player gets all the way to the net and then retreats all the way BEHIND the baseline...where he immediately advances to the net again. Up and back, over and over. He should complete the whole trip to the net and to the baseline hitting a maximum of six shots. Here you can throw up a lob when the approaching player reaches the net for some overhead practice. Control the rally, work together.

2. One player starts at the net and the other starts at the baseline. The one at the net starts retreating as the rally commences and the baseline player advances to the net. One player is retreating as the other advances...up and back. Working in tandem. Control the rally, work together.

3. Both players start at the net. Both players retreat to the baseline together and once they reach the baseline they both advance to the net together until they are close enough to shake hands. Then they retreat to their respective baselines at the same time. Control the rally, work together.

The journey backwards to the baseline is just as important in this drill. The balance required to go backwards while to shift your weight forwards to meet the ball is part of your concept of skateboarding to the net. Hitting off balance is an art in itself. Half volleys, in between strokes all require a different mindset and stroke action that is only mastered with lots of repetition and work.

I think also that this type of drill is best performed if you use all kinds of approach tactics and spins...don't rule out underspin, sidespin and flatter shots as a tactic that is designed to throw your opponent off balance. Work on your depth or hitting short. Borrow a couple of pages from McEnroe's book of approach tactics. That split second that it takes to make the adjustment from hitting off constant topspin and speed is often enough to give the advantage to the net player...at least that is the theory. Learn to hit the flatter ball as well...overspin tends to make the ball sit up a bit when penetration is of more paramount importance when approaching. It takes a different animal to go forwards than to go side to side and it requires a different set of skills technically speaking. I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me some feedback on these drills and you might possibly share them with your keen student...Jeff Greenwald.

Your article represents a bold statement these days...to actually advocate going forwards is as you said...a dying concept. The journey that Jeff Greenwald, Paul Cohen and yourself have documented here is extremely interesting and further demonstrates that the Dodo does not necessarily have to die. Perhaps it can raise itself out of the ashes like the legendary Phoenix. It is an extraordinary concept and we have not even begun to discuss the possibilities of approaching the net behind a perfect service motion complete with masterful tactics...which come to think of it is another extinct bird.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 10-07-2012, 07:37 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

don_budge certainly has made several interesting points.

I think the problem here might be in advocating what it takes to win matches - the serve and volley game isn't as effective as it once was for many reasons. Racquet technology, like technology in all sports, has changed the game and I don't think its had a negative effect. Anyways, this isn't going to change unless we're talking keeping wood bats in MLB - there are several financial reasons for the wood bats and fans aren't ready to see 53 to 41 games that last for five hours.

I also don't think that the coaches are the bad guys here - we do what it takes to win. That statement should bring a chorus of boos from many but I'm serious. Tennis, after everything has been said & done, is a game of skill & odds. If the odds are better (again I'm talking singles here) at staying back most of the time, then guess what, that's what I'm going to favor/advocate. Given the opportunity to come in and finish the point, yes, I want that but if my opponent is working me back and forth from side to side and keeping the ball deep, coming to net is seldom the practical solution.

Really though, why have players use the S & V, if it can be fairly easily defeated - I'm talking about on a "regular basis" in singles. Am I disappointed with this reality, yes but that's the case at the moment. Do I want players going forward on most strokes, absolutely, but not mindless rushing of net. Can the S & V be effectively used today, yes, absolutely but not on a regular basis.

Most probably won't like or believe me here but players these days can hit relatively small targets from the baseline or beyond. Go to your local high school or college and watch - you might be surprised. Actually my middle school players can hit with amazing accuracy - not with the same consistency as my high school players but still pretty good nevertheless.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4007 users online. 9 members and 3998 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X