Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip of the day: Use a wide base to return from.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the day: Use a wide base to return from.

All the top returners use a wide split step base, a full shoulder width and a half apart when split stepping into return. Why is that? Almost no rec. players do. A wide base allows for a very stable and powerful platform, and allows a greater single lunge step to cover wider serves. Try it. Many top pros also use a wide base split step during rallies. Extreme split steps are often the cause of excellence in defending contact points. The negative factor: is on body serves it can be more difficult to move away from, but most don't use that serve much.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM.

Tip of the day:

Place tension inbetween hands on the frame while in ready position returning serve, so that the hands "cock" against each other for more power. This cocks the frame hand backwards into a 90 degree angle.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
      All the top returners use a wide split step base, a full shoulder width and a half apart when split stepping into return. Why is that? Almost no rec. players do. A wide base allows for a very stable and powerful platform, and allows a greater single lunge step to cover wider serves. Try it. Many top pros also use a wide base split step during rallies. Extreme split steps are often the cause of excellence in defending contact points. The negative factor: is on body serves it can be more difficult to move away from, but most don't use that serve much.
      Good tip, Geoff. I always chart "when" my students are split stepping. Some do it too early, some too late. Just when the server starts his upward swing is when I like them to split step.
      Stotty

Comment

Nothing beats l-tec os/4s in poly for pocketed control. I've tried most poly brands in both h22 and pt57a and babolat frames. A trick I use to string it: I increase the tension of the top cross (99%) of frames are strung top down) up to 65lbs: 2nd cross down to 63lbs, 3rd cross down to 61lbs, and then where I hit the ball, inbetween 4th-8th cross down: I drop the tension down to 54lbs, and then bump it back up to 58lbs on down to the last three crosses, where I reverse the same tensions at the top: 61=63=65 at last cross. Try it once. Holds tension loss down to min. and pockets like no other string job.

The sound is very loud as well as satisfying to feel the incredible controlled power, and not bad spin either. But I lead up and silicone my frames so that the mass is 365g with 20-25g of soft clear silicone in handle, and lead under grommet and at 3-9 and the heavy ball feel is pro like.

Note: the silicone must be the soft kind when dry so that is absorbs shot impacts, and some light material stuffed down first so that the frame holds the silicone at the bottom of the handle and it does not run down into the frame. Must let it sit for a couple of days, handle down vertically so you stand the frame up on its handle so it can dry/cure right.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Belief and energy are related. Many people visualize their success then create it only due to the energy they attract/reflect/create. How does it flow in your own body during points and beforehand? What are the relationships between will/desire and athletic implementation of any given stroke and desire to improve it?

Why do so many improve based on coaches belief? Is speed coachable, or twitch/counter twitch speed? Can you become faster in coil/uncoils?
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I was on nbc today regarding a dangerous type of circuit breaker panel. Here is a link to check to see if you have them in your own house. http://youtu.be/t4HBt0bbELI 171414841[/url] STAB LOK KNTV PROMO INTERVIEW OF MASTER ELECTRICIAN GEOFF WILLIAMS WILLIAMS ELECTRIC Also a link to a promo. http://youtu.be/FBqa8yDHAlo Kovaleski interview of Geoff Williams For any member of this site, mention it and I will give you a discount if you hire me to change the panel. Here is a video on how to tell if you have these deadly breakers or not. http://youtu.be/I4jJv_j0UsY
            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7688 users online. 2 members and 7686 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X