Shanghai Rolex Masters 2012...Shanghai, China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    I remember sometime in the beginning...in the beginning when I started to post on TennisPlayer.net that is. I made some critical comments about Marion Bartolli's serve, which at the time, in my estimation was one convoluted mess and very unorthodox. As a consequence, our highly esteemed bottle reared up on his literary stallion legs and sort of stated in a somewhat less than subtle way that he resented my description and that he preferred the word "quirky". Well...I thought to myself...I'm ok with that. As a consequence I have come to view the Bartolli take on tennis as a somewhat lovely work of art in process...except for that stupid tennis racquet. The elongated snowshoe. But at least the serve has morphed somewhat...into more convolutions and "quirks".

Being new to the site and having learned to respect my elders and the more experienced, I accepted his less critical word of "quirky" rather than unorthodox or convoluted mess, even though I felt that I was only being critical in the sense of using a form and expression of my sophisticated judgement of something artistic. I think in a way he is right...particularly when the French historically seem to have some kind of artistic avante garde perspective on things that seems to have seeped over into their interpretation of tennis technique.

The French are such lovely creatures aren't they? Drinking wine, smoking cigarettes and carrying on with extramarital affairs besides hitting the tennis ball any way they damn well please. They regard the hours between five and seven in the afternoon as reserved to carry on with their lovers. At least the aristocracy do...they can afford to. Mon amour...je dois travailler tard ce soir. That may oversimplify things a bit although the French seem to take it all in stride...but somebody please bring back dear old Ferdinand Celine, my favorite author of all time. He was a bit quirky come to think of it. His take on the human experience of existence was less than orthodox or conventional at the time...I suppose. He was Jim Morrison's favorite too and Henry Miller only tried to walk in his footsteps.

But anyways...there is one player on the tour that I really love to watch play and that player is another self taught artist whose name is Florian Mayer. This guy is just a joy to watch when he is at his best...because by the nature of his game he can bring out the worst in the best. His game is designed in many ways to upset the rhythm of his opponent and his strokes are less than orthodox...so I call him "The Quirk". Without being judgmental I might add. I saw him dismantle Robin Söderling and reduce him to tears at the Stockholm Open. Robin was crying because he had been embarrassed by the quirky nature of Mayer and ended up a train wreck in front of his adoring Swede fans.

Florian Mayer defeated Bernard Tomic, who's forehand by coincidence is still the subject of a Sticky thread here on the forum, yesterday 6-4, 6-0 to set up a second round match with Andy Murray. Florian's forehand and his serve will probably never grace this forum in any way, shape or form as by their nature...they are quirky. In their only other meeting to date Murray won 1-6, 6-1 and 6-1. That was in Rome at another Masters 1000 tourney in 2011. I believe that Mayer beat Nadal at the Shanghai Masters last year. Is there another lightning strike in the offing? It's unlikely...but one never knows, do they? Due to the sometimes quirky nature of tennis, art and life.

"There is nothing lower than the human race except the French."
    -Mark Twain

Sadly, that's all I have to say.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I had a couple of french girl friends. Very emotionally blocked, but both very clean and pretty. Not to stereo type, but neurotic both. Aren't we all?

Comment

French Girlfriends...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Absolutely superb post...and spot on...brilliant. The last paragraph sums up the French to a T.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        "There is nothing lower than the human race except the French."
        -Mark Twain

Sadly, that's all I have to say.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
        I had a couple of french girl friends. Very emotionally blocked, but both very clean and pretty. Not to stereo type, but neurotic both. Aren't we all?
        Stotty...thanks so much. You made me laugh out loud and it felt so good. You are terrific.

klacr aka Kyle...you made me laugh out loud too. Mark Twain later revised that statement to "There is nothing lower than the human race except the human race." Celine further elucidated upon that theme in "Journey to the End of the Night". Please read and report back to me.

geoffwilliams...that was going to be my comment to Kyle...Twain probably never had a French girlfriend. Or maybe he did and she really jacked him around. You cannot condemn a whole country for just one psycho-neuro crackpot...can you?

I wonder what has happened in Shanghai today...twiddle dee, twiddle dum.
        Last edited by don_budge; 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Ahem...back to the courts.

Tomas Berdych into the second round to play Andreas Seppi...he had a bye and it should be bye bye Seppi. Kei Nichikori wins his first round and plays Sudden Sam Querry in the second. If both win we will have a donnybrook in the round of sixteen.

Berdych won his doubles and has his teeth into the tournament as a result. Playing Japanese Samurai's in their own backyards without a warmup can get you killed. These guys are serious about their tennis. Kei reputedly sharpens his racquets before every match.

Marcos Baghdatis defeats the Fabulous Fabio Fognini and was quoted as saying that it was as if the guy didn't have his legs under him. Fabio and the most beautiful woman in the world were seen nuzzling at a very exclusive Italian restaurant in downtown Shanghai shortly after the match. He had a huge smile on his face...somehow the Italians feel that at certain times, it is better to lose early and enjoy the good life. Carpe diem...he was heard say.
          don_budge

Comment

My Oscar nomination goes to don_budge....

Stotty...thanks so much. You made me laugh out loud and it felt so good. You are terrific.

klacr aka Kyle...you made me laugh out loud too. Mark Twain later revised that statement to "There is nothing lower than the human race except the human race." Celine further elucidated upon that theme in "Journey to the End of the Night". Please read and report back to me.

geoffwilliams...that was going to be my comment to Kyle...Twain probably never had a French girlfriend. Or maybe he did and she really jacked him around. You cannot condemn a whole country for just one psycho-neuro crackpot...can you?

I wonder what has happened in Shanghai today...twiddle dee, twiddle dum.
            I think we have to thank don_budge for his wonderful posts. All his posts a considered and well written. Many are long and detailed. There are virtually no posts of his that don't contain considerable thought and effort. He breathes life into the place and has raised the bar for all of us when it comes to writing worthwhile posts in the forum. He reaches out to everyone in the forum....old timers...newcomers...everyone.

Sadly, we don't have Oscars in the forum, but if there were don_budge would be a multiple winner. He'd be our very own Marlon Brando...and I can pay no higher compliment than that.

Thanks, don_budge...sometimes you must think you are writing into the wind...but I can assure you you are not.
            Last edited by stotty; 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM.
            Stotty

Comment

The last time I wrote into the wind, no one smelled it or heard it go by.

Comment

Marlon Brando...the most "beautiful" man that ever lived in Hollywood

I think we have to thank don_budge for his wonderful posts. All his posts a considered and well written. Many are long and detailed. There are virtually no posts of his that don't contain considerable thought and effort. He breathes life into the place and has raised the bar for all of us when it comes to writing worthwhile posts in the forum. He reaches out to everyone in the forum....old timers...newcomers...everyone.

Sadly, we don't have Oscars in the forum, but if there were don_budge would be a multiple winner. He'd be our very own Marlon Brando...and I can pay no higher compliment than that.

Thanks, don_budge...sometimes you must think you are writing into the wind...but I can assure you you are not.

"I could walk like Brando right into the sun, then dance just like a Casanova"-Bruce Springsteen, "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City"

I could never hope for a nicer compliment...I humbly thank you. Brando is my kind of guy in a way...too. The sensitive tough guy speaking truth to power...maybe certifiably insane but couldn't care less. To walk like Brando into the sunset...too bad he let himself go the way that he did. A huge fatass farting on the Larry King show. It was spectacularly funny though. Brandoesque as only Brando could pull it off. Marlon...Marlon...Marlon.

I love to write about the greatest sport that was ever invented. I think I found the key to the universe in an old wood racquet...Springsteen swears that he found it in the engine of an old parked car.

TennisPlayer.net...one day I google searched the Don Budge backhand for a student who was switching to the one handed. Look at who and what I found...you guys and so much more. Such a great cast of characters here on the forum and in the website...including our dear John. It certainly is an honor to be among you...everyone.

Thanks to all for the questions, comments and everything that our little cyber tennis community has to offer. To me it is a home away from home. Tennis is the infinite played within the finite. There is no bottom to its value. Just like your words...which I wouldn't trade for all of the money in the world.

Earlier in the day you made me burst out laughing and now you have made me shed a tear...ok more than one. I don't know why. Well, yes I do...but that is a long story.
                Last edited by don_budge; 10-10-2012, 02:13 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

don_budge, I'm familiar with Louis Ferdinand Celine and his work "Journey to the End of The Night". Not a fan of his pessimism in regards to human nature or his hyperbole.

But back to tennis...

I love that don_budge has been pleasing me with his mentions of Berdych just to appease me. He took out Seppi today comfortably and it looks as though my prediction on Nishikori may have been correct. No way Nishikori was going far in this tournament after his big week in Tokyo. Let's hope Berdych makes it far to clinch a spot in the final 8 for London. Most likely he will, but hopefully sooner than later.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Time for Tomas Berdych to assert himself...

I love that don_budge has been pleasing me with his mentions of Berdych just to appease me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

But Berdych can add something to the mix here in a big way...in the world of competitive modern tennis. With Nadal out, he inherits a spot in the "Big Four" with Djokovic, Federer and Murray...in a way that David Ferrer does not. As it looks now in the Shanghai tournament the three "originals" of the "Big Four" are virtual shoe-ins, barring some unforeseen disaster or train wreck for the semifinals.

But Berdych is going to have to earn his with wins over Querry and Tsonga...which makes it more interesting. Then if he should be so fortunate he needs to demonstrate that he can stand up to the big boys on a regular basis. Much as he sent Federer crashing out of the U. S. Open. Your boy has his work cut out for him. I really like the fact that he is playing in the doubles.

I like your pick of Berdych because he can possibly contribute to the mix. Just like you. That being said I have a difficult time "liking" Berdych or rather his style of play anymore than I like the style of Murray or Djokovic or even Nadal for that matter. It's a matter of taste...I suppose. I find the endless baseline duels boring...which is why I am begging for someone to please go to the net.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 10-11-2012, 02:04 AM.
                    don_budge

Comment

So speaking of drama...Berdych vs. Tsonga

Tomas Berdych clears the first hurdle...barely with a three set win over Sam Querry. But now he has the Baby Bull from France and this should be a real dog fight if Berdych comes to compete. You see...he is the only drama in the tourney at this point. The rest looks to be fairly clear cut...all too predictable.

But of course soon it gets to be rather fascinating...afterall, who doesn't want to see a rematch of Murray and Federer? Djokovic vs. Anyone looks to be cut in stone at this point.
                      don_budge

Comment

I like your pick of Berdych because he can possibly contribute to the mix. Just like you. That being said I have a difficult time "liking" Berdych or rather his style of play anymore than I like the style of Murray or Djokovic or even Nadal for that matter. It's a matter of taste...I suppose. I find the endless baseline duels boring...which is why I am begging for someone to please go to the net.
                        I get what you are saying about Berdych. Can't disagree. He has more ability to upset top 4 more than anyone else. Although I prefer the one-hander over two, I'll make a concession for Berdych. His forehand intrigues me and the easy power he generates is noteworthy.
                        Berdych got by Querrey but not concerned until semis. He'll make it past Tsonga (hopefully) but then he has to face probably an in-form Djokovic.

We have the same taste in play but for me I've become tolerant of the baseline rallies simply because if I didn't, I would go crazy watching today's tennis. As frustrating as it is, Don't know if I could change it. I doubt I'm good enough to compete at that level playing any style, let alone play attacking tennis. If I could I would, and dedicate my victories and style to don_budge and the rest of the classic tennis fans. We can dream.

Big win in Shanghai today for Federer. Wawrinka was playing so well in that 1st set. Even got it to a tie-break in the 2nd set. But in the end, Fed was too much.

Haas looked impressive today in his 6-2, 6-1 drubbing of Tipsarevic but taking out Djokovic is a different story.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Sleepless in Sweden...

We have the same taste in play but for me I've become tolerant of the baseline rallies simply because if I didn't, I would go crazy watching today's tennis.

Big win in Shanghai today for Federer. Wawrinka was playing so well in that 1st set. Even got it to a tie-break in the 2nd set. But in the end, Fed was too much.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          Sadly...it is all about Federer. When he is gone the air just seems to rush out of the tournament like a balloon deflating. You can feel the vacuum when he disappears...when he retires.

Just another routine match that is testimony to his greatness. I didn't see the match but it sounds sort of like the Federer of old. He might of taken a few weeks off so he comes back plays a match and finds himself in a dogfight. Then he just turns it up a notch and then he is scorching the afterburners leaving another one to bite the dust...six to love in the third. Who's next? Cilic? Murray vs. Stepanek. Fast forward...this could be interesting. Tsonga will not concede to Berdych either...it should be a great match. At least on paper.

You are young enough and flexible enough to like this kind of tennis. Why not? It is all there is. Somehow I can't do it. Tennis is by nature a bit boring on television anyways. I remember falling asleep during many a tennis match back in the day of classic tennis. It sort of hypnotizes you into a trance as the ball goes back and forth...back and forth...you are getting sleepy...listen to my voice. Baseline tennis is for insomniacs...but it beats counting sheep.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM.
                          don_budge

Comment

Sadly...it is all about Federer. When he is gone the air just seems to rush out of the tournament like a balloon deflating. You can feel the vacuum when he disappears...when he retires.

Just another routine match that is testimony to his greatness. I didn't see the match but it sounds sort of like the Federer of old. He might of taken a few weeks off so he comes back plays a match and finds himself in a dogfight. Then he just turns it up a notch and then he is scorching the afterburners leaving another one to bite the dust...six to love in the third...

:
                            Here's a video of the Federer/Wawrinka highlights for ya. Pretty good stuff. Classic Federer...Amazing shotmaking, horrendous decision making and match playing, backhand shanks, whistling forehand passing shots, aces at crucial times, and simply more talent than anyone that has ever stepped on a court... enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQ48Clm-9M

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Nasty but talented

Here's a video of the Federer/Wawrinka highlights for ya. Pretty good stuff. Classic Federer...Amazing shotmaking, horrendous decision making and match playing, backhand shanks, whistling forehand passing shots, aces at crucial times, and simply more talent than anyone that has ever stepped on a court... enjoy the video.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Hmmm...talent...what is that?...is it what a player can do...or the way he does it? I think the latter. Who arbitrates that one? Was Nastase the most talented of all, or was it McEnroe...maybe it's Federer...or someone else? How can talent be quantified?

I never liked Nastase. He was a bad sportsman and a nasty piece of work. But I think he was the most talented player I've seen. He was uncanny...could steer a ball...weight it....sensational feel....moved beautifully...glided...athletic... amazing hands and wrist control...list goes on. Shame all those gifts couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke.
                              Stotty

Comment

The King of Pain...The Police

Hmmm...talent...what is that?...is it what a player can do...or the way he does it? I think the latter. Who arbitrates that one? Was Nastase the most talented of all, or was it McEnroe...maybe it's Federer...or someone else? How can talent be quantified?

I never liked Nastase. He was a bad sportsman and a nasty piece of work. But I think he was the most talented player I've seen. He was uncanny...could steer a ball...weight it....sensational feel....moved beautifully...glided...athletic... amazing hands and wrist control...list goes on. Shame all those gifts couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton
                                Thanks for that Kyle...I took the big screen option...turned down the volume to the tennis and put on The Police...Synchronicity and "The King of Pain" which morphed into "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and then "Tea in the Sahara". "I have only come here seeking knowledge...the things that they didn't teach me in college." Federer grimacing under the strain of the match. It felt like mushrooms...geoffwilliams. What a beautiful thing! Most talented? Sure he is...today. But just remember...the bar isn't set so high. These guys play tennis like robots. Like they were hooked up and programmed to their iPhones. Wawrinka looked really solid around the net, by the way.

It's cold today...23 degrees when I let the dog out. It's dark and it's early but fresh and crisp like an old Australian volley. It is going to be a beautiful day. As beautiful as her face, on the other side of the world. Here in Sweden. "I guess it's my destiny to be the King of Pain...I will always be the King of Pain."- Sting.

Talent...what is that? I liked the way you asked that, Stotty. Nastase, McEnroe and Federer...that's good company. I talk like that sometimes too. What is that? But come on...you have got to love Nastase. Even his mentor knew he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Ian Tiriac...another guy easy to dislike, said that Nastase did not have a brain like most people. He had a little bird tweeting around in his head. How can you not love a guy with a little bird in his head...sometimes that little bird found itself flashing the little middle finger but it was all in "fun" in his mind...or rather in his "little bird brain".

Question...Talent? What is that? Answer...Playing that beautifully without the hindrance of having a brain.

Oh alright...maybe his soul is a little tortured by his own behavior. No, come to think of it...probably not. It was too much fun for him. "The Mercurial One". His success was his revenge. A poor guy from Romania on the world stage getting a chance to flip the bird to all of the establishment back in 1972. He didn't care so much about winning, he just was happy to get the chance to say "fuck you" to everyone within earshot...especially those that were really lily white wrapped up in boring clothes and wrapped up in boring lives...and extremely uptight. He was loose and unencumbered.

He really wasn't that analytical. It's not as if he would stop and think about his behavior. He was an animal...not that moralistic afterall. To him it wasn't a matter of right or wrong, it was just about how he was feeling at that particular point in time and space. Not at all like you and me...ahem. He was on the primal side of life when he was playing tennis or at least in touch with his primal nature. He was a true artist. He was sort of a clown but then again almost shamanic guiding us to the other side of life...where things are not so civilized and cut in stone. Those were mercurial times back then. When rock was music and not just a stone. Don't forget Vietnam. The establishment was and is the bad guy. A nice guy couldn't have been half as fun. Yea...he was really talented to the n'th degree and a "bad guy". McEnroe was only "Walking in Your Footsteps".

As far as bad guys go...when you are brought up on the "wrong side of the tracks" sometimes you sympathize with these guys. Like Al Pacino said as Tony when he was really toasted in Scarface, he told the patrons with that wonderful guttural Cuban accent at some fancy schmancy restaurant in the heart of Miami..."You need bad guys like me. You...you ain't good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I always tell the truth...even when I lie. You need bad guys like me to point your fucking fingers at. Take a good look at the bad guy. You ain't gonna see a bad guy like me again. Take a good fucking look."

I LOVED him...and how about the Tommy Haas? He seems like a really nice guy.
                                Last edited by don_budge; 10-12-2012, 03:10 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8084 users online. 5 members and 8079 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X