Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Boris Becker's Forehand Analysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Boris Becker's Forehand Analysis?

Hello great coaches I just came cross this Boris Becker's Forehand's analysis on youtube. It is quite interesting. will you give me any thoughts on that.

Is he saying right or wrong?

Thank you

or you can get with typing Boris Becker, Ralph Lauren.

Thank you

Originally posted by tennislearningforlife View Post
    Hello great coaches I just came cross this Boris Becker's Forehand's analysis on youtube. It is quite interesting. will you give me any thoughts on that.

Is he saying right or wrong?

Thank you

or you can get with typing Boris Becker, Ralph Lauren.

Thank you
    Boris is giving very basic tips. Nothing serious. He is a bit confusing since he suggests "early" which means two things even in his description. First, he meant somewhat in front of his body (he doesn't mean behind or taking the ball on the rise). However later, he uses "early" to mean taking the ball on the rise.
    The same occurred for when he mentions "acceleration on the follow-through...he called it also follow-up". When he first mentions it, he shows the follow-through claiming accelerating after contact, which is incorrect since deceleration occurs immediately at contact and afterwards. When he shows it (as he mentions, his coach didn't care where it was in the backswing), he points out acceleration from behind in the forward swing phase as opposed to the follow-through. Again, two different concepts but it can be confusing, although perhaps clear to him. In teaching, it's important to distinguish and show students exactly what you mean, otherwise translations are lost and the message isn't clearly expressed.

He is right on there's many types of swings. Unfortunately, I would disagree on
    "early" since he needs to be more specific and swings do affect the contact point. And contrary to what his coach said, the backswing and loading do make a difference.

What Boris is trying to emphasize is the acceleration in the contact zone and not making contact behind you (as many club players do) which are essential points.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for your comment.

What do you think of him saying about speed up racket head speed with Wrist and also he said players with best forehand use wrist. Is this correct?

thank you

Comment

I love Boris as some of the readers on this forum may know. But this forehand video is a bit confusing. I agree with Doug about the "early" comments. It is fairly vague and basic. Nothing groundbreaking or extraordinary.

He mentions about hitting "in front". Did he mean in front of body, knowing body is turned to the sideline, shoulders pointing at net, thus hitting in front of belly button? Or does he mean with body uncoiled so that racquet makes contact with ball in front of his left foot? get what I mean. He gives advice but no real visual cues, just general terms.

If you really want to open a can of worms, you should view the other Boris Becker/Ralph Lauren videos in this series where he speaks about volleys, backhands, serves. I wont ruin it for you but interesting information given in those videos as well.

I always find it amusing when elite professionals try to explain their technique and stroke mechanics and there is an enormous disparity between what they say, and what video shows they do.

Sometimes when I videotape students they can't believe they actually hit that way. I remember I had one student I filmed that swore that the guy on video (himself) was not actually him. LOL. I still have a laugh about that one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

I hope all the people watching that didn't pay.

Comment

Tiger Woods Comments

Intersting thank you...

Well, Tiger Woods said that what I feel and what I see on camera is different.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              LOL! Brilliant!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Nobody paid...it was a freebee. Probably in France. Gay Paris most likely!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

This is not a coaching seminar...it's a Ralph Lauren promo. Don't worry, nobody paid except Ralph Lauren...they all had a great lunch, sipped champagne and had a date with Boris and Annabelle to talk about tennis in an entertaining and sexy way. These two should get a room. Geoff? Alexandra? Just kidding. Tennis is sexy though...isn't it?

But that being said...just what was it that he said. What was it he was trying to get at? Sometimes when people are speaking a language that is not your mother tongue something gets lost in translation. Especially if they have been drinking. So I wrote down everything that he said and stared at it for a couple of minutes. Then I translated it.

This is what he said and what I think he meant with plus or minus X for the translation:

His sister is responsible for all of his mistakes and his grips. She was his first teacher when he started playing tennis at 4 years old...she was 7. This part was very clear...not mistaking here.

The comely Annabelle Croft with all or her hair cascading down her naked shoulders as she tosses her head in her own peculiarly seductive way. With her lovely slender legs for all to see...she is Mats Wilanders sidekick on Eurosport tennis programs and she is always crossing her legs in such a tantalizing manner, she asks Boris about the swing in terms of positioning of the feet and contact point.

What is she really saying...are those subliminal messages she is sending out? She's kind of sexy isn't she? Boris tries to keep his eyes on the ball, wrestling with his male impulses and the effects of his champagne lunch, he replies that among the top 100 players in the world you will find 100 different forehands. Now this in itself is a feast...he is saying that forehands are like snowflakes...no two are alike. Variety is the spice of life. Careful Boris...one false move in front of all those people, all those patrons. But he recovers his footing and gets back on track...with regard to backswing he says that some take it back high...others take it back low. Some have an open grip and others have a closed grip. He is not referring to the way he envisions himself squeezing her loveliness, he is referring to the face of the racquet.

But he says...everyone hits the ball early and he leans forward to emphasize that they are hitting the ball on or in front of their front hip with the weight shifted forward. As he coach, he says, he doesn't care where you take the racquet back in the backswing...he is more concerned that you meet the ball early (in front and with weight shifted forwards) and how you follow through after you make contact.

Then Boris hits a couple of demonstration balls where he emphasizes the importance of setting up with a good base of the legs in a classic stance and once again emphasized hitting the ball early as in front of the body. He is constantly emphasizing to the beginner player to not let the ball get behind you...which is the most common of mistakes that a beginner will make on the forehand side due to the fact that the shoulder is behind the body on the forehand side.

He again demonstrates the importance of a good setup as in early preparation. He is fixated on the setup position but I notice that he is looking squarely at Annabelle...is he flirting with her? Could you blame him? He is using the word early in more than one context but the idea remains fixed...early preparation encourages the ability to meet the ball early as in front of the body. Early, early early...the keynote of his demonstration...the keynote of his garbled speech. Once more he uses early in yet another connotation...he says hit the ball just before it begins to descend. He is subtly suggesting to use the energy of the incoming ball before all of its energy has dissipated on its way down from the height of it's bounce.

Boris' coach that taught him the forehand was also named Boris from Croatia, and Boris was Steffi Graff's coach as well. Becker says that coach Boris emphasized meet the ball out in front and acceleration of the wrist after contact. Boris further emphasized that the best forehands use their wrists the most...read most "efficiently".

Well there it is...this is what he said. He said it to a bunch of patrons at some Ralph Lauren's promo probably after lunch when everyone was still a bit tipsy after sipping hoity toity champagne gazing at Annabelle's naked shoulders and cascading hair...more mushroom effect geoffwilliams. Ever since you said that I am seeing the whole world through mushroom eyes. It's as if I am talking to a tree with my forehead leaning against it's trunk. No words. Just a shwooshing sound swirling around and around the canyon of my mind. Sitting outside in the dark of night and a star filled night, out in the Dragoon mountains listening to the old ancient Apache whispering timeless secrets about Geronimo and his people...in barely intelligible English. The Doors of Perception. Jim Morrison, Ferdinand Celine and Aldous Huxley singing a chorus...go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall.

Boris is talking about meeting the ball early and not letting the ball play you. Go out and meet life before it meets you! Don't get behind the eight ball! Anticipate! Get your ass in position!...but he wouldn't say that to that crowd...unless he had just one more glass of champagne. Unless he was really hammered. Probably in France. Everyone there feeling pretty damned good about themselves. Glowing and radiating. Wearing their halo's so serenely and blissfully. Just like at the board meeting of any tennis club or business.

He looked like he may of had one or two already. Actually he wishes that he was standing behind her and instead of saying ass...he would of looked at sweet, demure and innocent Alexandra, I mean Annabelle squarely in the eyes as she smiled and looked seductively over her shoulder back at him, and he held her admiring gaze for a just little longer than would be socially acceptable in Ralph Lauren circles and said, "Please get that sweet little Derriere in a nice sitting position with your weight on your front foot and meet me...er, excuse me I meant to say meet the ball out in front of you". Then we all would of understood just what the hell it was he was trying to say. He's talking about position and the importance of early preparation...or in other words, foreplay. He just seemed a bit distracted...who can blame him? It's no big deal. At least the French don't think so.

That's what I think about Boris' forehand analysis. I don't know...I could be reading too much into it. I think DougEng basically had it right. How about that Annabelle Croft? She's pretty cute and kind of sexy in an English sort of way.
                Last edited by don_budge; 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Don Budge's comment on Boris... Don, surely seems to dominate the english language, I am one of those like Boris, where language gets lost in translation, nevertheless the tennis comments seem more appealing, or borrowing Budge's terms, more seductive to me.

Comment

Yes, this, like Geoffrey's reverse whirlpool video of hypnosis in which things come out rather than get sucked down, reminds me once again how much I hate structured tennis learning that tries to turn all of us into good little scouts, perhaps "Pioneers" in Hungary or Czechoslovakia in the days of goulasch Communism, or eager young suits in corporate America always saying "Yes sir" or No ma-am" because they've already learned despite their dearth of human experience that, no one will listen to any idea of theirs if it's good.

Some would say I/we excelled (three national championships in a great sport though not at the highest level where we also functioned well). Throughout the whole epic journey we saw a lot of coaches. By far the best were those who were not overly specialized but lived in the big world. A stand-up comic could be a great coach. Or the most sober of philosophers. Structure is required in the beginning. That's where to put the scoutmasters and shop teachers. After that, though, give me people in bars, airplanes or even champagne dinners. One doesn't want to drink too much or violate any Greek ideal, but moderation in moderation is important, too. "A hundred different forehands at the top of the tour." Essential information, not to be taken for granted. I'd heard that before but good emphasis came out of Steve's/Boris's champagne dinner.

I seek compelling voices of every kind in the tennis I know which clearly is more than a sport. That's why I enjoy this forum so much. But it wasn't always so good so please be careful. I just think that the best mentors in anything, after some boot camp in the beginning, are people who can listen but also can hold forth. In non-sequential ways sometimes seeming disorganized to those not in the know.

A good coach is a resource. The individuated player takes what he wants. As far as boot camp, one hopes that the true individuals survive, "run the gauntlet" as the poet Edwin Honig used to say. One knows they won't if they don't have an anti-authoritarian streak. For school mistakenly knocks the spirit/guts/personal sensibility out of people (think of Ryan Harrison)-- public schools, charter schools, magnet schools and even the supposedly great prep school which I attended for two useful years before I graduated to a place equally good academically but socially far more fun.

American tennis improvement isn't about "getting with the program." It's about getting open-minded. Loosen up in other words and I hope I'm not getting too didactic here.
                    Last edited by bottle; 10-12-2012, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Tongue in cheek...my apologies if I offended anyone

Thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom bottle. If I offended anyone on the forum with my exercise in "creative writing" I am very willing to delete the post. It seems that I have been a trifle bored between majors and have been looking for something to write about. I have been trying my hand at some creative writing lately. Somehow I got this funny idea after watching Boris Becker at the Ralph Lauren promo event...he and Annabelle seemed kind of cute together and I have watched her being cute with Mats Wilander a good deal on Eurosport. I was trying to be funny but I never come off as being funny...I was teasing but I only come off as being ironic.

You can send me a private mail or even post on the forum that you wish me to delete this and I will. I sort of want to but I am afraid to for some reason to do it without someone asking me to do it. It was tongue in cheek...and not meant to be disrespectful to anyone. Oh hell...maybe I should delete it.

John?
                      don_budge

Comment

No, don't delete it. If you delete it, mine won't make sense. (Not that I'm self-interested or anything.)

P.S. When Alexandra Franco replies, you know you're okay.
                        Last edited by bottle; 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Crossing my fingers...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                          No, don't delete it. If you delete it, mine won't make sense. (Not that I'm self-interested or anything.)

P.S. When Alexandra Franco replies, you know you're okay.
                          Yes...I have my fingers crossed that she is not angry with me and I will not post on the forum again until she forgives me. I am sorry if I offended you Alexandra.
                          don_budge

Comment

Very interesting thoughts...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                            Yes, this, like Geoffrey's reverse whirlpool video of hypnosis in which things come out rather than get sucked down, reminds me once again how much I hate structured tennis learning that tries to turn all of us into good little scouts, perhaps "Pioneers" in Hungary or Czechoslovakia in the days of goulasch Communism, or eager young suits in corporate America always saying "Yes sir" or No ma-am" because they've already learned despite their dearth of human experience that, no one will listen to any idea of theirs if it's good.

Some would say I/we excelled (three national championships in a great sport though not at the highest level where we also functioned well). Throughout the whole epic journey we saw a lot of coaches. By far the best were those who were not overly specialized but lived in the big world. A stand-up comic could be a great coach. Or the most sober of philosophers. Structure is required in the beginning. That's where to put the scoutmasters and shop teachers. After that, though, give me people in bars, airplanes or even champagne dinners. One doesn't want to drink too much or violate any Greek ideal, but moderation in moderation is important, too. "A hundred different forehands at the top of the tour." Essential information, not to be taken for granted. I'd heard that before but good emphasis came out of Steve's/Boris's champagne dinner.

I seek compelling voices of every kind in the tennis I know which clearly is more than a sport. That's why I enjoy this forum so much. But it wasn't always so good so please be careful. I just think that the best mentors in anything, after some boot camp in the beginning, are people who can listen but also can hold forth. In non-sequential ways sometimes seeming disorganized to those not in the know.

A good coach is a resource. The individuated player takes what he wants. As far as boot camp, one hopes that the true individuals survive, "run the gauntlet" as the poet Edwin Honig used to say. One knows they won't if they don't have an anti-authoritarian streak. For school mistakenly knocks the spirit/guts/personal sensibility out of people (think of Ryan Harrison)-- public schools, charter schools, magnet schools and even the supposedly great prep school which I attended for two useful years before I graduated to a place equally good academically but socially far more fun.

American tennis improvement isn't about "getting with the program." It's about getting open-minded. Loosen up in other words and I hope I'm not getting too didactic here.
                            I really like what you have said here and I must say that I agree with you whole heartedly.
                            don_budge

Comment

Becker and the Forehand Wrist

Originally posted by tennislearningforlife View Post
                              Thank you very much for your comment.

What do you think of him saying about speed up racket head speed with Wrist and also he said players with best forehand use wrist. Is this correct?

thank you
                              Tricky. Some people think using the wrist means going from extended to neutral or even flexed at contact point. I'm not sure if Boris meant that. But that is commonly interpreted and it's incorrect.

I would suggest looking at Brian Gordon's article on the forehand.
                              Beginners and advanced players alike use wrist extension on the backswing.
                              Type 1 and 2 swingers often don't use the wrist properly but that's a minor point.
                              More important is how they use the backswing and stretch-shorten cycle. Type 3 swingers tend to keep the racquet and wrist laid back longer (a delayed response) and then let it return to neutral when the racquet head begins to decelerate (after contact).

I'm glad Brian has pointed out deficiencies of the double bent elbow and advocates the straight elbow (at contact). I always used it and can't understand why some players use the double bent which shortens the elliptical swing (it becomes more circular). Having Nadal and Federer do it also helps the veracity of the straight elbow swing.

Doug
                              Last edited by DougEng; 10-14-2012, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2716 users online. 3 members and 2713 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X