A couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions

Firstly, I've been trying to develop the ATP style type 3 forehand. The way I do this is simply prepare with the racket face pointed about 45 degrees between the side fence and the back fence. I then try to accelerate as I normally would, focusing on rotation. I've noticed my forehands are flatter then they used to be with this forehand, and also that i am a little more pressed for time than m old forehand. I feel that maybe twisting the racket to the side in my preparation, not something I would do earlier, takes a little longer and is slightly unnatural. Maybe I should only point to the side fence, as this would make it feel a little more natural? I realize this depends on the grip, I believe my grip is a medium semi-western.

Also, on the backhand, I use a lefty forehand grip coupled with my normal right forehand grip (medium semi). I believe this is supposed to be better for high balls, but is this grip inherently disadvantageous and should I change to a more conventional righty eastern forehand grip on the 2HBH?

I should clarify that previously, I didn't aim the racquet face to the side in my prep, my racquet face was mostly facing forward the entire time and I felt it was easy to make direct contact with the ball. Aiming the racquet to the side/behind me puts some tension on the wrist, and I am also confused about when the racquet face should face the ball. I feel sometimes that I automatically turn my racquet after prep to face the ball, and that most of my swing is with the racquet facing the ball so that preparing with it to the side was pointless, but maybe my swing path is subconciously altered? Advice is appreciated .

Comment

The speed of frame comes from the snap back towards your rear. The forearm snaps the frame backwards and "flips" it over very fast. Unit turn must be fully sideways with a diagonal coil, shoulders turned towards the net post, not just the net. Snap back and double pivot/rotates the shoulders. Double pivot of the feet. Wind shield wiper finish for top spin.

Hitting face of the bed faces the rear fence, then snap back forces it to face the ball/net. The forearm rotates, not the wrist, as the wrist stays locked at a 90 degree angle the whole time. Wrist is locked during ready position as well. Grip must be set firmly by non dominant hand, and frame angled backwards towards opposite shoulder during ready, with arms out front, yet frame angled back.
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-09-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsonga View Post
        I should clarify that previously, I didn't aim the racquet face to the side in my prep, my racquet face was mostly facing forward the entire time and I felt it was easy to make direct contact with the ball. Aiming the racquet to the side/behind me puts some tension on the wrist, and I am also confused about when the racquet face should face the ball. I feel sometimes that I automatically turn my racquet after prep to face the ball, and that most of my swing is with the racquet facing the ball so that preparing with it to the side was pointless, but maybe my swing path is subconciously altered? Advice is appreciated .
        Keep in mind Brian Gordon's analysis was that, analysis. I wouldn't consciously try the ATP type forehand. It comes from practice of acceleration. The trick is really delaying the hand action as the last piece in the kinetic chain. That is, all parts of the body cock before the hand (cocking is technically defined as the point where the body part changes direction, before it goes forward). If the elbow and shoulder go forward before the hand does, it means your hand is very relaxed and you'll reach maximal power (optimization of the kinetic chain). That is to hit a very hard forehand or serve, your grip needs to be very relaxed to allow optimization of loading and pre-stretching (similar to a plyometric countermove). If you are able to do this, the racquet will fell into the flip and slot.

Aside from keeping the hand relaxed, yes, use a compact backswing. The compact backswing should be the only consciously intentional set-up. It allows better connection with the body. Once the elbow (or wrist) is too far from the body, it need to catch up first before the body can fire (kinetic chain). Then you get an arm swing (type 1 usually or 2) instead an efficient swing.

I would say keys are:
        1) Compact backswing (elbow and wrist relatively small movements compared to what most people do)
        2) Relaxation of the hand (to allow the racquet/hand be the last cocking phase).
        3) Initiation of power from the lower body (jointly with #2).

With 2 and 3, it's fairly similar to generating power on the serve.
        Last edited by DougEng; 10-09-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Video please...

Hello tsonga...is there any chance of seeing some video of your swing?
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Backhand

Originally posted by tsonga View Post
            Firstly, I've been trying to develop the ATP style type 3 forehand. The way I do this is simply prepare with the racket face pointed about 45 degrees between the side fence and the back fence. I then try to accelerate as I normally would, focusing on rotation. I've noticed my forehands are flatter then they used to be with this forehand, and also that i am a little more pressed for time than m old forehand. I feel that maybe twisting the racket to the side in my preparation, not something I would do earlier, takes a little longer and is slightly unnatural. Maybe I should only point to the side fence, as this would make it feel a little more natural? I realize this depends on the grip, I believe my grip is a medium semi-western.

Also, on the backhand, I use a lefty forehand grip coupled with my normal right forehand grip (medium semi). I believe this is supposed to be better for high balls, but is this grip inherently disadvantageous and should I change to a more conventional righty eastern forehand grip on the 2HBH?

could be of some help

Comment

I will try to get some video of me hitting soon. What's the best angle? From the back? Also, how are these tennis videos usually filmed? Should i get a tripod and real video camera?
              Last edited by tsonga; 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Here's some video of me hitting, I'm in the white. I cut and edited it a lot to mainly show my forehand. My backhand was off that day but I'd prefer to just get advice on the forehand.

Last 30 seconds shows match points with the view of my forehands coming at you. Edited to make me look good...

It looks like my racquet face is open sometimes/barely closed at the initiation of the forward swing. This makes me thing I am not close to a dynamic slot forehand. Is there even any point of me preparing/turning in a dynamic slot orientation if the end result is an open face at the forward swing? Is that whole thing I do with racquet face turned even accomplishing anything? Also, it seems now that I prepare this way (racquet face high/turned to side), I'm not doing as well with high balls which used to not be a problem, but perhaps I'm just getting used to it. Advice much appreciated.
                Last edited by tsonga; 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Once again...Forehand Not Gone-Roger Federer

Here Tsonga...before you go another step. Watch this one thousand times or maybe just two or three. Listen to the words. See the magic in his feet. We are blessed to have this video at our command...truly lucky. Like a good doctor...here take two or three of these and sleep on it.

Without being overly critical you are moving around the court without much of an idea of how to set up to the ball...and this looks to be the biggest problem. We need to get you stabilized and more grounded if you know what I mean. You are not alone...this is the great problem that every tennis player faces.

I would recommend a month of training on Mark's training exercises and I promise you that this will greatly enhance your chances of moving more efficiently to the ball at which point we can start narrowing down on the possibilities for your swing. Trust me on this one. We need to build a good solid base in your ability to get in position to make a good balanced swing before we go into the actual swing itself which I am fairly confident that we can work out given what I see.

But that's the other thing tsonga...you might want to submit a video where you are more stationary so that it is easier for the coaches to focus on your swing. All of that extra movement is distracting and makes it difficult to focus on what you are actually doing in the execution of your swing.

Here is the still version:

Here is the "Man in Motion" version:

Think about these two videos and tell me what you think you need to do. Thanks!
                  Last edited by don_budge; 10-19-2012, 01:42 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4149 users online. 3 members and 4146 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X