Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Pete Sampras' Style Forehand disappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Pete Sampras' Style Forehand disappear?

Hello great coaches...

Today i pulled out my tennis DVD record (i have 1000's of matches recorded ) and i have watched Sampras matches. I mean we all know his serve is incredible, but if we watch his forehand, actually it is 1st class forehand.

First I watched Sampras VS Kofanikov ATP tour final. I mean Sampras was winning so many points from baseline with very very heavy forehand and back hand. I mean and if you watch his stroke carefully he was wonderful follow though. Then i watched Sampras VS Roddick US OPEN and again Sampras was dominating from baseline game as well.

Here is my questions.

1) Why None of pros hit forehand like Sampras anymore??

2) Why Not many coaches do teach the shot like him?

This is other questions.. is it true or not??

1) I see sampras forehand has so much more forward length to it. He does hit spin but his racket goes way more than today's guys.

2) His forehand can be easier to obtain to starter players???

3) His forehand style can be easier to generate the pace to many people.

4) I believe that with "Modern Forehand" you need so much racket head speed to create lots of pace

5) Teaching "Modern Swing" has more potential to input bad habit to starter players.

6) "Classical Swing" is easier for starter student to get-they can learn follow through easier. Front finish....

Will you please help me

Originally posted by tennislearningforlife View Post
    Hello great coaches...

Today i pulled out my tennis DVD record (i have 1000's of matches recorded ) and i have watched Sampras matches. I mean we all know his serve is incredible, but if we watch his forehand, actually it is 1st class forehand.

First I watched Sampras VS Kofanikov ATP tour final. I mean Sampras was winning so many points from baseline with very very heavy forehand and back hand. I mean and if you watch his stroke carefully he was wonderful follow though. Then i watched Sampras VS Roddick US OPEN and again Sampras was dominating from baseline game as well.

Here is my questions.

1) Why None of pros hit forehand like Sampras anymore??

2) Why Not many coaches do teach the shot like him?

This is other questions.. is it true or not??

1) I see sampras forehand has so much more forward length to it. He does hit spin but his racket goes way more than today's guys.

2) His forehand can be easier to obtain to starter players???

3) His forehand style can be easier to generate the pace to many people.

4) I believe that with "Modern Forehand" you need so much racket head speed to create lots of pace

5) Teaching "Modern Swing" has more potential to input bad habit to starter players.

6) "Classical Swing" is easier for starter student to get-they can learn follow through easier. Front finish....

Will you please help me

Sampras' forehand was very explosiveness but not as consistent as others. Lendl, Agassi or Federer are generally considered better. In addition, many juniors mistake his racquet preparation as holding the racquet down too long rather than turning with the racquet hands up. I'm not sure whether it is classical since he used many buggy-whips or reverses especially on approaches and on the run. It was a hybrid swing, somewhere between the classical and modern. Lendl was the most classical of the group mentioned.

Comment

Dippy forehands

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
      Sampras' forehand was very explosiveness but not as consistent as others. Lendl, Agassi or Federer are generally considered better. In addition, many juniors mistake his racquet preparation as holding the racquet down too long rather than turning with the racquet hands up. I'm not sure whether it is classical since he used many buggy-whips or reverses especially on approaches and on the run. It was a hybrid swing, somewhere between the classical and modern. Lendl was the most classical of the group mentioned.
      Lendl and Sampras were not too dissimilar if my memory serves me correctly, certainly with regards to the start of the backswing. Both players dipped the racket head to initiate the backswing. Borg did this as well.

It's not something I would teach players unless they had a natural leaning for that sort of style. It's much more complicated than hands up style; racket tip pointing up.

Having said that Sampras, Lendl and Borg had superb forehands relative to the eras they played in. Did Borg ever miss one on clay?
      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3408 users online. 9 members and 3399 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X