Can we put heavy under spin on Volley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we put heavy under spin on Volley

I read this article said that pros do actually use wrist to put heavy under spin for volley and slice. Is this true and it can be done?

Well, this article showed the picture of Mofiles after his volley his racked head point to opponent.

Any thoughts?

Wristy volleys...

Originally posted by tennislearningforlife View Post
    I read this article said that pros do actually use wrist to put heavy under spin for volley and slice. Is this true and it can be done?

Well, this article showed the picture of Mofiles after his volley his racked head point to opponent.

Any thoughts?
    Wrist to create heavy under spin!...not a good idea in my book. Why would a player want heavy under spin on his/her volleys anyway? Just a slight rotation of slice is best. Good volleyers aren't wristy, quite the reverse, they use the shoulder and hip rotation...the wrist and arm remain firm. What article were you reading? What publication?

Try this thread where they volley is widely discussed by many of the leading contributors on the forum:

Also these articles:

Stotty

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much

That's a great help..

Pat Cash said same thing.. Volley is like chip on golf...

Comment

Originally posted by tennislearningforlife View Post

Any thoughts?
        Not a good idea. The volley will naturally have underspin on the ball due to racquet path towards ball and proper grip. Forcibly adding any more underspin to it is a risky proposition, your racquet face would open up even more and if just a little bit off it could sit up too high for your opponent for a passing shot. Keep volleys low, not high. On volleys, less is more. You are not trying to add anything more to a volley, simply guide the volley, rest will take care of itself if technically correct.

A few things I remind myself when volleying...

-Try to aim 1 inch (a little close for some but works for me) over the net. If I aim too high over net, the naturally produced underspin will make the ball sail out. If I miss it in the tape, I'm ok with that, as long as it's not long.

-A volley hit low and short is ok. If it's very short, opponent will still have to pick it up over the net which hopefully gives me a high volley to put away.

-Eye level to the ball. PLEASE.

-Backhand volley will have more underspin than forehand volley.

-I like to think about hitting my volley slightly late. Not too early. If I turn my shoulders a quarter turn from the net (now facing singles line/doubles alley/side fence) I'm making contact to the side of me (think belly button). I found if my volleys are hit to far in front I lack pop and control. My elbow gets too far away before contact and becomes more of a swat than a firm volley.

I'm sure many other contributors will weigh in and help.
        That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps. Then again, what do I know?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Thank you so much

Thank you so much for great tip thank you

Comment

Place your arm out front, straightened, eye level, and now let it fall to your side. The arc of the fall is the contact point, and that is, the more out front you hit, the higher the incoming shot. The lower shot, let it come into your body more. Use a flex bar and twist it into a U turn, and then side to side, coiling and twisting your upper torso as you twist the flex bar, shoulder to shoulder, and do that faster and longer as you build up strength and endurance. Wax on, wax off. Focus on defending your contact point, the distance out front determined by the incoming height of the ball.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for great ideas again.

Comment

Yes and no...

The way that I read this question is...Can we put heavy underspin on the Volley?

The answer I believe is yes, you can put loads of spin on a backhand volley but it is not possible on the forehand.

Sometimes on a backhand volley I like to open up the face of my racquet and take a swing at the ball making contact with the very bottom of the ball. When timed and performed just right I love to see the ball come back over the net to me without my opponent touching it. Surprisingly this is not such a low percentage shot and I love to use this technique from the baseline on a clay court as well...how cool is that to see the ball come back over the net and hopefully the opponent follows as well.

I would liken this shot to Phil Mickelsons flop shot that he performs a meter in front of some patsy. He takes a full swing with his 60 degree wedge and safely clears the guys head every time. If he should skull it he would create a new orifice for some hapless fool.

But it seems impossible to me to consistently get any unusual amount of spin on a forehand volley therefore why try anything extraordinary. I like to see enough spin to see the ball making a nice rotation which indicated to me that the volleyer is in control of his stroke. I like to see that perfect rotation without any of the side spin...to me that is a sight to behold. There is nothing like a nice solid forehand volley with just the right amount and the right kind of spin.
                Last edited by don_budge; 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Poly

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  The way that I read this question is...Can we put heavy underspin on the Volley?

The answer I believe is yes, you can put loads of spin on a backhand volley but it is not possible on the forehand.

Sometimes on a backhand volley I like to open up the face of my racquet and take a swing at the ball making contact with the very bottom of the ball. When timed and performed just right I love to see the ball come back over the net to me without my opponent touching it. Surprisingly this is not such a low percentage shot and I love to use this technique from the baseline on a clay court as well...how cool is that to see the ball come back over the net and hopefully the opponent follows as well.

I would liken this shot to Phil Mickelsons flop shot that he performs a meter in front of some patsy. He takes a full swing with his 60 degree wedge and safely clears the guys head every time. If he should skull it he would create a new orifice for some hapless fool.

But it seems impossible to me to consistently get any unusual amount of spin on a forehand volley therefore why try anything extraordinary. I like to see enough spin to see the ball making a nice rotation which indicated to me that the volleyer is in control of his stroke. I like to see that perfect rotation without any of the side spin...to me that is a sight to behold. There is nothing like a nice solid forehand volley with just the right amount and the right kind of spin.
                  I assume that you and ALL your students have rackets strung with a full bed poly
                  Restringing rackets once per year helps volleys a lot
                  Last edited by julian1; 10-21-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Hmmm....

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                    Restringing rackets once per year helps volleys a lot
                    Interesting point.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2690 users online. 4 members and 2686 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X