Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012...London, England

Then on to London for the ATP World Tour Finals...2012 edition.

The groups...

Group A

1 Novak Djokovic
    2 Andy Murray
    3 Tomas Berdych
    4 Jo-Winfried Tsonga

Group B

1 Roger Federer
    2 David Ferrer
    3 Juan del Potro
    4 Janko Tipsarevic

Advantage Federer.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Looks like Group A is the stacked Group. Anyone of those guys can beat anyone else. certainly Djokovic and Murray would be touted as favorites. But Berdych and Tsonga, in indoor, quick conditions are just as dangerous as anyone else in the final 8.

Murray-Berdych first up on Monday, followed by Djokovic and Tsonga.

Group B is weaker and I believe Federer will win this group and ceratinly move onto semi-finals.

Federer plays Tipsarevic first. Thinking a well rested Fed will take care of business.

No matter what happens, I'll try to savor this event as much as possible knowing its the last event we'll see for for the rest of the year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I think Klacr has it about right. I'm not sure Tsonga believes he can beat Murray and Djokovic... but Berdych believes.

If Federer doesn't get through his box, I'll be surprised.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        I think Klacr has it about right. I'm not sure Tsonga believes he can beat Murray and Djokovic... but Berdych believes.

If Federer doesn't get through his box, I'll be surprised.

Thanks Stotty. Agreed 100%. Berdych has the belief and faith. Tsonga will put on a good show for the fans but he's content with where he is.

Federer is happy with his grouping.

Indoors. Clean conditions. Ball striking at its best. Federer and Tberd in the finals? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Fingers crossed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Anyone?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          Federer and Tberd in the finals? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Fingers crossed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Ok...Federer and Anyone in the finals.
          don_budge

Comment

Round 1...

Novak Djokovic def. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6, 6-3

Andy Murray def. Tomas Berdych 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

Stotty...ever been there to watch this venue?
            don_budge

Comment

The O2

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Novak Djokovic def. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6, 6-3

Andy Murray def. Tomas Berdych 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

Stotty...ever been there to watch this venue?
              No, never been there. The tickets are expensive and poor value. You get to see one singles and one doubles match. Doubles is a second rate game these days...making one singles not enough for the price you pay. The cheaper seats are in the heavens.

At Wimbledon a ticket for the day costs far less and you get 18 courts to view, plus the show courts if you have a ticket. I have never left Wimbledon disappointed and I've been most years since 1976. At the O2, I could travel over two hours for a game that is all over pretty quick...not worth the risk.
              Stotty

Comment

I certainly agree with Stotty about value. For bang for the buck world class tennis, it is hard to beat Cincy. You can go 2 days, Wednesdae and Thursday, and see the men's round of 32 and 16. To make it even better, the women are there now during the same week, pushing even more of the men's matches off the center court, so one can watch almost all the quality matches in unreserved seats.

Comment

The single elimination round

Thanks Stotty. Agreed 100%. Berdych has the belief and faith. Tsonga will put on a good show for the fans but he's content with where he is.

Federer is happy with his grouping.

Indoors. Clean conditions. Ball striking at its best. Federer and Tberd in the finals? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Fingers crossed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Djokovic,Murray,Federer,Ferrer

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                    Djokovic,Murray,Federer,Ferrer

Well, since they already won their first matches those are certainly good picks. But that's why they play the matches. Let's see what happens with the next two rounds. Let's hope it's not as easy or straightforward as we all assume it will be.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Boring Ferrer...boring into his opponents

don_budge,

Although we agree with Ferrer being a "boring" player, you must respect the fight he has. Does everyone know where he is going to hit his backhand 99.9% of the time (CROSSCOURT!) Yes, but the fact that he is willing to hang in there, chase down every ball, and keep fighting is a trait we'd love all of our students to have.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      David Ferrer is boring in more ways than one which only succeeds in making him more boring. His style of play is "boring" in the sense that he hangs in there like you say Kyle and once he gets his foot in the door he doesn't know the words "to toss in the towel" and he is not about to take no for an answer. This is such a key ingredient to being a tennis player and one that any tennis student should learn early on in their tennis playing education. Keep the ball in play and persist until the end. Ferrer 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 over Juan Del Potro. After two tournament victories in a row he motors on. Certainly admirable...you are right again.

Roger...scintillating from start to finish according to the only account that I read and it is no surprise. With a weeks rest to lick his "niggles" (wounds) like the cagey and wily experienced wolf that he is...he too is "boring" into his objectives. No muss, no fuss 6-3, 6-1 over the other Serb Janko Tipsarevic. Nothing boring about his style of play though.

With the preliminary dances out of the way we BORE right along with the players...into the future.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 11-07-2012, 05:11 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

Final

Well, since they already won their first matches those are certainly good picks. But that's why they play the matches. Let's see what happens with the next two rounds. Let's hope it's not as easy or straightforward as we all assume it will be.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Final: Djokovic vs Federer
                        Last edited by julian1; 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM. Reason: Problems with the Swedish Internet

Comment

Reasoning

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          My choice was based on their ATP ranking.
                          The next guess was that both Djokovic and Federer will come #1 in their
                          corresponding groups.
                          The next guess was that pairing Djokovic-Ferrer and Murray-Federer
                          will produce Djokovic and Federer as winners.
                          Ferrer has to loose to Djokovic because of the boredom factor.
                          Last edited by julian1; 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Murray/Djokovic

I managed to watch the first set of Murray/Djokovic before slipping off to work. Murray was sublime. I thought...hmm...Murray is creeping ahead of Djokovic as a player. He has more variety and can do more things. He can mix up play better. He has more to his game than Djokovic.

The next chance I had to view the game Murray was 3-4 down in the third. What happened? It was looking like Murray in straight sets when I left! I saw out the rest of the match. Djokovic played amazing on the big points. He really is special. When Murray and Djokovic play it's an exhausting encounter for both players both mentally and physically. They both cover the court so well there is often nowhere to hit where the other won't be there to hit it back. It then all becomes about shot tolerance and mental strength. It's exhausting mentally to play matches are as tight as theirs...they cannot afford to lift their heads out of the game for a moment...it'll cost them if they do.

This is great experience for Murray...he'll improve and be a better player in 2013 for it.
                            Stotty

Comment

Rhetorical question?

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              I managed to watch the first set of Murray/Djokovic before slipping off to work. Murray was sublime. I thought...hmm...Murray is creeping ahead of Djokovic as a player. He has more variety and can do more things. He can mix up play better. He has more to his game than Djokovic.

The next chance I had to view the game Murray was 3-4 down in the third. What happened? It was looking like Murray in straight sets when I left! I saw out the rest of the match. Djokovic played amazing on the big points. He really is special. When Murray and Djokovic play it's an exhausting encounter for both players both mentally and physically. They both cover the court so well there is often nowhere to hit where the other won't be there to hit it back. It then all becomes about shot tolerance and mental strength. It's exhausting mentally to play matches are as tight as theirs...they cannot afford to lift their heads out of the game for a moment...it'll cost them if they do.

This is great experience for Murray...he'll improve and be a better player in 2013 for it.
                              You asked "What happened ?"
                              I guess it is more or less a rhetorical question.
                              If not let me drop a line ( I can delete my post easy later)

The answer is:
                              serve,return of the second serve and the net play.
                              Djokovic was 22/30 at the net ( assuming that my memory serves me well)
                              regards,
                              Julian
                              Last edited by julian1; 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8264 users online. 4 members and 8260 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X