Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunlop Stage 1 GREEN balls for TEACHING?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Stage 1 GREEN balls for TEACHING?

Hello coaches,
    did anyone use Dunlop Stage 1 green Balls for teaching?
    The corresponding links are

It looks that it is AN ITF approved ball.
    NOT sure the meaning of the phrase "AN ITF approved ball"
    for this particular case-
    probably the ball is legal/allowed for 12 UNDER tournaments
    There is a corresponding Penn ball as well

PS
    The description
    Dunlop Stage 1 3-Ball Can Green

Price:

The Stage 1 Green tennis ball is designed as a transition ball from Stage 2 to the standard ball. According to Dunlop, this ball is approximately 25% slower than the standard to allow more time for preparation.

3 balls per can
    ITF Approved

PS
    There was a related conversation

PS The phrase Stage 1 is a bit misleading-it is NOT
    the INTRODUCTORY PHASE
    Last edited by julian1; 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM.

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
    Hello coaches,
    The corresponding links are

It looks that it is AN ITF approved ball.
    NOT sure the meaning of the phrase "AN ITF approved ball"
    for this particular case-
    probably the ball is legal/allowed for 12 UNDER tournaments
    There is a corresponding Penn ball as well

PS
    The description
    Dunlop Stage 1 3-Ball Can Green

Price:

The Stage 1 Green tennis ball is designed as a transition ball from Stage 2 to the standard ball. According to Dunlop, this ball is approximately 25% slower than the standard to allow more time for preparation.

3 balls per can
    ITF Approved

PS
    There was a related conversation

PS The phrase Stage 1 is a bit misleading-it is NOT
    the INTRODUCTORY PHASE

Hi Julian,

All balls are generally approved by ITF (International Tennis Federation) unless they fail standards or are made outside standards. So if you pick up a can of balls, they will say ITF-approved. ITF makes the rules and standards in tennis; in addition to running tournaments, coaches training, and Davis/Fed Cup.

A movement called TAUT or 10andUnderTennis has gained official status for junior competitors in the US, generally for under 10 years old. In other countries, such as France, they have been using other types of balls and smaller courts. US adapted these rules and standards. So a junior tournament for under 10 today is often orange ball on a 60 ft court but also might be green or even green balls on a 78 ft court for 12 and under. Variations and scoring depend on the USTA sections (e.g, NorCal or Florida).

Green balls are 25% lower compression than yellow balls. Orange balls are 50% lower compression than yellow. And red are 75% less compression but are also larger. Observations (Australia) shows that children can control the ball better adding spin and accuracy although rallies are not longer. Stage 1 is green and stage 2 is the orange ball.

A good portion of the world have their 12 and under play with the green ball on a 78 ft court

Comment

usta-ne?

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
      Hi Julian,

All balls are generally approved by ITF (International Tennis Federation) unless they fail standards or are made outside standards. So if you pick up a can of balls, they will say ITF-approved. ITF makes the rules and standards in tennis; in addition to running tournaments, coaches training, and Davis/Fed Cup.

A movement called TAUT or 10andUnderTennis has gained official status for junior competitors in the US, generally for under 10 years old. In other countries, such as France, they have been using other types of balls and smaller courts. US adapted these rules and standards. So a junior tournament for under 10 today is often orange ball on a 60 ft court but also might be green or even green balls on a 78 ft court for 12 and under. Variations and scoring depend on the USTA sections (e.g, NorCal or Florida).

Green balls are 25% lower compression than yellow balls. Orange balls are 50% lower compression than yellow. And red are 75% less compression but are also larger. Observations (Australia) shows that children can control the ball better adding spin and accuracy although rallies are not longer. Stage 1 is green and stage 2 is the orange ball.

A good portion of the world have their 12 and under play with the green ball on a 78 ft court
      Hi Doug,
      who in usta-ne would know whether Green Dots are obligatory for
      12+ under tournaments?
      Thank you

Comment

green balls

I use green balls for teaching. I use them for my better under 10s and for my older beginning class. The slower balls allow us to do more live ball drills and game based drills.

Comment

I am a big proponent of the green ball. I would love to see them used for 12s or at lest 12s Novice.

I currently use Penn Control +.

-Shaun
          Last edited by sfrazeur; 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

A club in mA

Originally posted by sfrazeur View Post
            I am a big proponent of the green ball. I would love to see them used for 12s or at lest 12s Novice.

I currently use Penn Control +.

-Shaun
            There is a club in MA which uses Penn Control +.
            for intermediate 12 UNDER
            The issue is how to transition to tournaments using a regular ball

Comment

It was a red ball that Daffney the golden retriever worked through the bars of my serve basket. But I don't think she tried more than two of the yellow balls first, went right to the soft compression red ball even though it was larger.

Comment

There is a club in MA which uses Penn Control +.
                for intermediate 12 UNDER
                The issue is how to transition to tournaments using a regular ball
                Hi Julian,

Many clubs today and USTA tournaments use the green ball. The decision to use green balls for tournaments depend on the sectional USTA office. In the case of USTA-NE and others, it is Director of Junior Competition.

Comment

Balls...tennis students and teachers.

Hello coaches,
                  The slower balls are great for teaching juniors. The smaller equipment and smaller court make all of the sense in the world if little kids are going to play tennis. Nothing looks quite so stupid as some little kid out on the tennis court trying to wield a racquet that is too big for them trying to play with balls that are too fast for them to manage.

Slower balls are great for teaching period. Some months back there was a new buzz word being used here on the forum and much was made of it. As if we were rediscovering the wheel...again. Myelin...I think it was. At any rate we sort of mulled around the idea about slowing things down a bit...and this too makes all of the sense in the world.

Starting out any beginner at the net with some really slow balls is a good way to introduce the game to anyone. By slowing down the necessary response time for the preparation for the shot a tennis student slowly gets it into their noodle some of the basic concepts of getting their butt into position. Even with players that are not beginners...players that have been playing a long time and have their myelin going in the wrong direction, slow balls can be used to correct their dereliction of technique by forcing them to slow down to a reasonable speed where they can begin to discern just what it is that is going on in the production of a tennis shot.

Part of the problem these days with the "faster" tennis that is being played is that those that are not quite as quick to catch on...be it physically, mentally or emotionally, it is tough to get a handle on the concepts that are involved in producing tennis shots. Slowing it down makes it more manageable for everyone...including the poor teacher.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Usta-ne

Hi Julian,

Many clubs today and USTA tournaments use the green ball. The decision to use green balls for tournaments depend on the sectional USTA office. In the case of USTA-NE and others, it is Director of Junior Competition.
                    Hi Doug,
                    I left a voice with USTA-NE last Friday

Comment

Hi Doug,
                      USTA sanctioned tournaments for below 12's are to use Green dot balls only. no exceptions.
                      so under 12 has three levels, Beginner, intermediate and advanced.
                      Beginner levels use the 36'court red ball
                      Intermediate levels use 60' court orange ball
                      advanced level use full 78' court with green dot ball.

starting 12's only they use regular yellow balls.

there are some non sanctioned USTA tournaments where they use regular yellow balls for under 12's, but they dont count against your USTA points or rankings..

Comment

Usta Ne

Originally posted by gokulms View Post
                        USTA sanctioned tournaments for below 12's are to use Green dot balls only. no exceptions.
                        so under 12 has three levels, Beginner, intermediate and advanced.
                        Beginner levels use the 36'court red ball
                        Intermediate levels use 60' court orange ball
                        advanced level use full 78' court with green dot ball.

starting 12's only they use regular yellow balls.

there are some non sanctioned USTA tournaments where they use regular yellow balls for under 12's, but they dont count against your USTA points or rankings..
                        gokulms,

USTA NE called back yesterday and said that "the title of the tournament" would specify whether green dots balls OR REGULAR YELLOW BALLS will be used
                        for a specific tournament.
                        I did NOT ask any additional questions.
                        They called me on my cell,the connection was lousy but I think that
                        my sentence above describes the essence of the conversation.

However as everybody here knows I was wrong before ...
                        If you want to talk offline my E-mail address is juliantennis@comcast.net
                        PS
                        I have two students for which the conversation above is important
                        Julian
                        regards,
                        Julian
                        Last edited by julian1; 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Doug,
                          Curiously, did you have a suggestion, issue or question?
                          They already have the tournament schedule for 2013.
                          But USTA probably would love to see additional Play Days
                          (with red, orange, green).

Comment

A question only

Curiously, did you have a suggestion, issue or question?
                            They already have the tournament schedule for 2013.
                            But USTA probably would love to see additional Play Days
                            (with red, orange, green).
                            Hi Doug,
                            I had only a question whether a specific tournament uses green dots.

Comment

A cross reference

See as well

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7765 users online. 2 members and 7763 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X